• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

XT vs MT questions

XDEEDUBBX

Hello, looking to purchase my second redcat. I'm coming from a 1/8 aftershock 3.5 and love it but want something bigger. My first choice would be the XT cause of what you get and the price, but the majority of people on here prefer the MT. The biggest complaint from what I can tell about the XT is the ground clearance. Are you MT owners having clearance issues as well? The MT seems to have better components as well. Is it worth spending the extra $140? Any kind of help would be appreciated, thanks!

Bryan

Deluge

Yes, it's worth it. Clearance is not an issue. I bought one because the parts are beefy and it has aluminum where it's necessary (i.e. the shock towers).

G

I have both platforms. Yes the MT is heavy duty in comparison.

Welcome...

XDEEDUBBX

thanks guys! lol I convinced my wife to get the MT as a XMAS present for me! Oh happy days! Thanks guys for the help. Btw, who is a legit vendor on here that sells aftermarket hop ups ie: air filters/vstack, exhaust etc?..

brio

Guess i'm a little too late to defend the XT. :) I have an XT and I like it. It does have some issues like the tire foams are crap and will disintegrate within two tanks or so. You'll have to get new tire foams and replacethem(which I did) or buy some Redcat to HPI Baja adapters and Baja wheels/tires(which I also did;)). That will cost some $$ but besides that, the truck is pretty tough. I've had mine since the beginning of Oct. 2011 and ran it at least once a week since and it's been good. I did slightly bend the rear shock tower but that was as a result a nasty cartwheel/rollover session. I'm surprised something more serious didn't break, honestly. The wheel bearings are a bit undersized but you can upgrade those and the hubs too.

Also, make sure the wheel nuts are tight, cuz they'll strip the inner wheel square.

I mean, its really about preference. I liked the lighter faster truck which is the XT and I like the look and stance of it compared to the MT.

rcgasser

big JC said:
Care to write a little as to why
As stated above he did a great break down of some of the problems with the XT the bearings are under sized so you will need all of the old farts upgrades 22 mm bearings, rear bearings holder, front bearings holder, chubs, hpi adapters to run better tires because the foam will turn into dust very quickly. Longer run time with the MT over the XT because the gas tank is much bigger, and after a while will need a aluminium gear plate or the beefed up size plastic gear plate.MT parts are more beefier. After all the upgrades you will have a nice truck and yes I do like the XT its just compared to the MT there is none all you have to do is beat the shit out of it and drive, and with the upgrades you have done on the XT upgrade the motor and a good pipe and the MT will be just as fast as the XT. So I am not dogging out the XT the question was asked if it was worth the extra $140.00 for the MT and in my opinion yes it great is.

Obeast44

Banned
rcgasser said:
As stated above he did a great break down of some of the problems with the XT the bearings are under sized so you will need all of the old farts upgrades 22 mm bearings, rear bearings holder, front bearings holder, chubs, hpi adapters to run better tires because the foam will turn into dust very quickly. Longer run time with the MT over the XT because the gas tank is much bigger, and after a while will need a aluminium gear plate or the beefed up size plastic gear plate.MT parts are more beefier. After all the upgrades you will have a nice truck and yes I do like the XT its just compared to the MT there is none all you have to do is beat the shit out of it and drive, and with the upgrades you have done on the XT upgrade the motor and a good pipe and the MT will be just as fast as the XT. So I am not dogging out the XT the question was asked if it was worth the extra $140.00 for the MT and in my opinion yes it great is.
Personally, I would take the XT and spend the leftover $140 on the 7075rc knuckles and rear uprights. They you would have a considerably lighter, more agile and just as strong machine.

It all boils down to preference I guess.

rcgasser

Yes it is personal preference but with all the upgrades from old fart will be more then $140.00 it will not be just as strong of a machine agile yes but not as strong the parts are not as beefier then the MT but the bottom line is get what you like that makes you happy and enjoy the heck out it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

brio

Well....I agree with RCgasser but I agree with Obeast44 more. You could take the difference in cash and get the rear hubs, bearings and HPI adapters from 7075rc like I did but then you'd still need to get baja wheels/tires. ;) . Or just get the rear hubs and bearings. I don't know. Seems like you picked the MT already anyway. Either way, hope u enjoy it.

XDEEDUBBX

You guys bring up so many great points! I'm leaning torward the MT more only cause it's a beefier truck and the components are better. Initially I liked the XT cause of its stance and how light it is. Are most of you XT/MT owners just going with a VStack/ air filter setup opposed to the upgraded carb?

Deluge

XDEEDUBBX said:
You guys bring up so many great points! I'm leaning torward the MT more only cause it's a beefier truck and the components are better. Initially I liked the XT cause of its stance and how light it is. Are most of you XT/MT owners just going with a VStack/ air filter setup opposed to the upgraded carb?
I'd go with the carb, too. Get a Walbro, they're more reliable than the stock carbs.

XDEEDUBBX

Question, which is a better pipe, the redcat tuned pipe or the jetpro? Which one makes the most power, and which one sounds the best? My LHS has the redcat tuned pipe in stock but im willing to pay more for a better pipe.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts