• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

XT Rear Wheel Drive Loss HELP!

Sinist3r

Hey guys. So I know there is another thred about this with another guy, but I'm thinking my situation is different. So I was out running my Rampage XT last night, and I lost RWD. Meaning, only my front wheels are spinning. Now that I say this, the Rear wheels are trying to catch. I've taken some things apart, and here is what I've found...so far.

The rear differential on the cat seems okay. I can spin the rear wheels, and the driveshaft all the way where it meets the gear in the middle of the truck spins still. It does not however spin the gear. The dog bones are okay, diff cups okay...etc. So, that being said, what am I missing? I removed the side cover from the gear drive, and they all seem to spin. But, when I'm spinning them, they are only moving the front wheels, and every 3 to 4 rotations, I can see the rear wheels jump, so something is loose, or catching a bit. I'm kind of confused as to where to go from here with this.

Sinist3r

okay, so Im answering my own question here, and going to ask another. I found the problem. I'm missing a set screw that goes from the rear driveshaft to the coupler to the middle gear. I will try attach a picture. Does anyone know the size of this set screw by chance?

Sinist3r

So we found that it an M6 Set screw. Got it all back together, and now the clutch is not grabbing properly. I tried to tighten the 10MM bolt on the clutch gear, and now its all jacked up. Get it too tight, it goes but seems like it dragging, get it too lose and it doesn't go, it just revs to the sky. I'm not sure what in the world is going on with it. It was going fine, and all of the sudden, it let go. When I grabbed the truck right after it happend, the shaft that the clutch and gear are on would move without the clutch and gear.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phill

Sinist3r said:
So we found that it an M6 Set screw. Got it all back together, and now the clutch is not grabbing properly. I tried to tighten the 10MM bolt on the clutch gear, and now its all jacked up. Get it too tight, it goes but seems like it dragging, get it too lose and it doesn't go, it just revs to the sky. I'm not sure what in the world is going on with it. It was going fine, and all of the sudden, it let go. When I grabbed the truck right after it happend, the shaft that the clutch and gear are on would move without the clutch and gear.
Set screw on the A shaft?

Sinist3r

Phill said:
Set screw on the A shaft?
It's on the cup at the end of the driveshaft from the rear differential. There are set screws at the cup coming from the rear diff, and also another set screw that goes on the cup at the end of the driveshaft that goes to the center gear from the front driveshaft.

Phill

Sinist3r said:
It's on the cup at the end of the driveshaft from the rear differential. There are set screws at the cup coming from the rear diff, and also another set screw that goes on the cup at the end of the driveshaft that goes to the center gear from the front driveshaft.
Can you post a pic?

The description is a big vague

Sinist3r

Hard to see, but there's the front of the driveshaft where the set screw came out when I was running it

Sinist3r

Here are the gears on my rampage XT. When I initially took it apart, the middle gear shaft would free wheel not turning the gear, in which I don't know if thats normal. After running the truck for a bit, the gear on the left (attached to the clutch bell) would spin and not move the gear or the clutch bell. So, I tightened up that nut on the end of the left gear clutch bell shaft, and thats when it goes when i hit the throttle, but is way too tight because when I back off the throttle, it stops immediately. If I loosen up that nut, the clutch grabs, but the shaft does not move the gear (the is on the left gear in the picture in front of the clutch bell on the shaft.

rcgasser

Take the gear off the clutch bell shaft and locktite and tighten the 2 grub screws under the gear make sure they are line up to the flat part of the clutch bell shaft before you tighten them down.

rcgasser

You are just having grub screw issues they have vibraited loose that why its very important to go over and lock tite and tighten all screws and let sit before you run the truck.

Sinist3r

Okay, so I figured I'd throw an update up here. Thanks to rcgasser. You were completely right. I took off the gear attached to the clutch bell shaft, and the 2 set screws backed out. Re secured them, and that did the trick. I'm probably not the first to report on this next reoccurring situation. I keep loosing the set screws to the drive shafts. After about 4 runs, I've lost the center gear drive shaft set screw 3 more times. Luckily my local Ace Hardware stocks these. I cleaned them out today buying 7 of them, for a just in case. I used blue lock tight in them to see if this works. I can't figure out why they keep coming loose. They are an M6x10 if anyone comes across my same issue.

rcgasser

Are you making sure that you are flatting the grub screw down on the flat part of the shaft? Are you letting the locktite at least 24hr to dry??? Have you checked to see if the shaft or the dogbone is bent? Something is going on the have that keep vibrating out that is not a normal occurrence.

Sinist3r

rcgasser said:
Are you making sure that you are flatting the grub screw down on the flat part of the shaft? Are you letting the locktite at least 24hr to dry??? Have you checked to see if the shaft or the dogbone is bent? Something is going on the have that keep vibrating out that is not a normal occurrence.
No, the first few times I replaced the set screws, they were longer than stock. I didnt think that a few millimeters would make a difference. When I went to Ace today, they had the stock length, so I bought those and lock tighted them. The flat parts are were I'm tightening them down. I don't want to use red lock tight, I'm not a fan of torching these screws to get them free if I have to service those parts down the road. I've had pretty good luck with the blue stuff in the past. The truck is sitting In my heated garage now, and I probably won't run it until next weekend

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.