• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Xt problems

Scout-1greg

My xt is nothing but a headache and mistake!When you run it in the snow after ten mins it shuts off and will not start again till it's dry,and the steering arm pops off every time I run the kit does any one else have this problem?

Scout-1greg

The kill switch is dry snow was melting on the air filter stopping the kit.

The steering link between the two knuckles is a rod with a 90 degree bends on both ends

With is very weak I'm going to weld a brace on it.If it would not flex it would not pop out.

Obeast44

Banned
My solution was to put fuel tubing around it. When it begins to flex the fuel tubing will "bottom out" on the under side of the front plate. It doesn't stop flex, but it does limit it substantially.

lumber38

it could be possible that the on off switch is wet or maybe the failsafe is wet or defective. my xt has a cracked dogbone and the pull starter doesn't engage the fly wheel, good luck with any type of warranty.

csp1971

Contributor
lumber38 said:
it could be possible that the on off switch is wet or maybe the failsafe is wet or defective. my xt has a cracked dogbone and the pull starter doesn't engage the fly wheel, good luck with any type of warranty.
This is an rc car.......what do you expect after you go out and tear it up. Some "customer expectations" blow my mind. Pull starters fail, its a fact. Open it and see which piece it is then we can possibly help you fix it. Dogbones break, did it break running in a straight line? Was a rock caught in there? Did you run it into something?

RampageHopUps

Be nice guys. We'll get him fixed up.

Remember, this truck isn;t meant to be waterproof. You will have to do some serious mods to make it water-resistant.

lumber38

Yes your right, it's an rc car. And yes it most likely happen during a jump off a snow bank. My concern is no plastic damage just the dogbone .I've ordered new ones from redcat I'm listing what problems I've encountered so far. The pull starter is just annoying,hopefully the new one lasts a more than two tanks.I'm pleased with the overall value of the truck, I've only had since feb 16th, time will tell if it holds up for the long haul.

csp1971

Contributor
lumber38 said:
Yes your right, it's an rc car. And yes it most likely happen during a jump off a snow bank. My concern is no plastic damage just the dogbone .I've ordered new ones from redcat I'm listing what problems I've encountered so far. The pull starter is just annoying,hopefully the new one lasts a more than two tanks.I'm pleased with the overall value of the truck, I've only had since feb 16th, time will tell if it holds up for the long haul.
Pull starts can suck. My first large scale I had nothing but trouble with it.

There are four screws that will remove the pull start.

Sometimes this plastic piece will break, or just wear:

http://www.advantagehobby.com/product.php?productid=74876

It can be replaced with this:

http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.1466/.f

Check and see what it looks like. I ordered about half a dozen of the plastic ones when I kept having issues. Once I ordered them, I had no more problems.

chevy

how much experience do you have with these motors??? you should be able to unbolt the pullstart and look at it and see whats not engaging? or somthing looks funny/broken inside of it? save the money and just buy the part thats broken instead of buying a whole new pullstart, if you run really high compression heavy modded motors then i would get the metal starter pawl, don't get frustrated once you get familiar with these motors they're pretty easy to fix, and you can always come on here and ask questions to get it sorted.

lumber38

I did remove the pull starter and nothing looks damaged. In fact it still recoils good spring action, no plastic shavings clean looking. This is my first 1'5 scale truck so maybe it's just my inexperience. I would assume that the starter pushes outward when cord is being pulled? The spring is winding up and when the cord is recoiled the spring brings the paw back away from the fly wheel as the spring unwinds? Correct me if I'm wrong, thanks for the help.

csp1971

Contributor
lumber38 said:
I did remove the pull starter and nothing looks damaged. In fact it still recoils good spring action, no plastic shavings clean looking. This is my first 1'5 scale truck so maybe it's just my inexperience. I would assume that the starter pushes outward when cord is being pulled? The spring is winding up and when the cord is recoiled the spring brings the paw back away from the fly wheel as the spring unwinds? Correct me if I'm wrong, thanks for the help.
Sounds correct. So is the pull start difficult to pull when you are trying to start it? I've had a couple new engines and they were initially a pain to pull. I would have to put my foot on them to give them a good yank.

lumber38

No it pulls and recoils smoothly. I removed it and when pulling the cord the pawl doesn't move outward. Is it possible that the allen bolt holding that assembly together is too tight.?

Or could it be that the shim washer is not allowing the pawl to move, maybe jambed in there? I'm getting a new one with the dogbone set and will compare the action of it.

csp1971

Contributor
lumber38 said:
No it pulls and recoils smoothly. I removed it and when pulling the cord the pawl doesn't move outward. Is it possible that the allen bolt holding that assembly together is too tight.?
Or could it be that the shim washer is not allowing the pawl to move, maybe jambed in there? I'm getting a new one with the dogbone set and will compare the action of it.
I recall I had one that was just filthy and the pawl wouldn't move out at all. I would take the screw off and check for dirt or crap...........or maybe the screw may be too tight. It should move really freely. Sometimes just doing that can get things working again.

RampageHopUps

That happens all the time to every RC large scale. You have to blow it out and then use graphite lube to make it smoother. Do not oil it, or it will attract more dirt. Graphite lube is used on door locks in the Home Depot aisle.

DemonRC

I got a pile of pullstarts sitting on my shelf. CY's, Zenoah's, and several alloy ones. All of them are not working right and need some cleaning. If you think about it putting a mechanical mechanism inside of a huge vacumn cleaner that's sucking in dirt is not the best idea but that's what we have to live with.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts