• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

XT os hard to push

Dreggsta

I rem reading on here like a month ago what to check but I can't recall the thread so sorry for basically reposting. My xt moves freely w/no motor running, everything off. My son's xt however is difficult to nudge, drag, pull or push. Could it be the shoes grabbing the bell? Just looking for ideas as I'm taking a break & will work on it tomorrow.

On a side note mine runs fine. I have a 990 on mine. i primed the bulb, put a bag over the filter, pulled the cord a couple of times & then removed the bag. It popped off on the 2nd pull. I also have a Dom pipe. Pretty easy to make fit the xt. also not as loud as I thot it would be.

Dreggsta

No I didn't. That is good. Thanks I've been working on mine all day & just needed a break. Playing black ops 2 lol.

are the brakes kinda weak? Mine rolls like it has no brakes haha. I'm a check the servo arm.

rcgasser

Most of the time its the grub screw that press against the brake pads they have came out out screw to far in check that also.

Dreggsta

I just checked the brake pads. The one closest to pinion carrier is jammed. Thanks gasser. :)

Dreggsta

Welp, that wasn't it. Just freed it up & it's no different. I'm gonna run it as is. It was like that when I got it.

BertR

Have you checked the nylocks on your gears if they are too tight the gears wont spin freely and gives a brake like condition.. Just a thought and worth a look

Dreggsta

Thanks bert. When i swapped in the aluminum gear plate i noticed that if the b & c gear shaft was tightened too much it would do exactly what you're saying. When i noticed this i loosened the lock nut up a bit. Guess I'll see how it does when i run it tomorrow. :)

kbreaux100

i think what gasser was trying to say before autocorrect nabbed him was that there are two grub screws on the back of the brake assembly.hard to get to but sometimes its a must.if they back out or wiggle inward, they will screw up your brakes

rcgasser

kbreaux100 said:
i think what gasser was trying to say before autocorrect nabbed him was that there are two grub screws on the back of the brake assembly.hard to get to but sometimes its a must.if they back out or wiggle inward, they will screw up your brakes
Yep that's what I was trying to say lol.

Dreggsta

There is a noticeable power difference between my son's stock xtb & my dom piped & 990'ed xt truggy. I really like my set up. Oh & I really like my air filter prefilters. They are def doing there jobs stopping tons of dust.

Dreggsta

while putting in the set screws for the brakes that i omitted lol, i figured out why this car is hard to push. the pinion gear is pushed into the ring gear. there is no play or backlash whatsoever. sooo, not tonight but tomorrow, i am going to remove the 2 pinon set screws, heat the sob up w/a torch & tap that pinion down further into the sleeve to give some backlash. not a lot but enough to free the drivetrain up. right now the xb doesn't roll when pushed. it grinds or clicks so to speak. i thot about leaving it & letting the gears wear down but i figure these gears are cheaply made & pressed together podwer basically & that the stress might cause a hairline crack which could be the death nell to the gear. & who knows if that gear goes what it could do to the ring gear. god i'm a perfectionist sometimes lol.

Dreggsta

update: i removed the pinion gear & set screws. i had to torch the pinion & shaft to remove the pinion. it was indeed pushed up into the ring gear but i can't slide the pinion back anymore as it has a hex shape that fits into the sleeve & ten has a round collar that stops it from going in any further. i thot bout shaving it but i'm just gonna leave it as is & see what happens. good ole chinese fit & finish lol.

andyken

Dreggsta said:
update: i removed the pinion gear & set screws. i had to torch the pinion & shaft to remove the pinion. it was indeed pushed up into the ring gear but i can't slide the pinion back anymore as it has a hex shape that fits into the sleeve & ten has a round collar that stops it from going in any further. i thot bout shaving it but i'm just gonna leave it as is & see what happens. good ole chinese fit & finish lol.
There should be some play..?

The pinion bearing holder, the brake set screws should be near the front of the car...

It could be mounted backwards?

Dreggsta

It's def not installed backwards. The pinion holder has a tab on the front top. Everything is in correctly. In every ring & pinion set up I've seen it can have zero backlash or a lil play but not pushed into each other where it is tight. I loosened the fit up a lil fit it it's still a lil too tight for my liking. I'm hoping they will wear to a good fit & not break.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.