• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

XB wheel bearings

CTGT2005

I came across a few posts that indicate there are problems with the wheel bearings on the XB's. Does anyone know if the failure of the wheel bearing is due to the bearings overheating, or is it because they have a tendency to spin in the steering knuckles?

In other words, are the balls in the bearings themselves becoming over-clearanced through use, or are they too tight and causing wear to the plastic knuckle?

CTGT2005

How is the grease that they ship with, if any? It wouldnt be suprising if they ship with little or no grease, and if they do, its probably not of good quality. I'd like to get a decent amount of run time out of my new XB before having to spend too much money on it.

Think taking all bearings out and re-greasing them, then securing them with loctite 640 sleeve retainer might extend their life?

rcgasser

Deluge said:
They're too small for the application. Many have tried using high quality bearings, but they failed, as well.
+1 yes get the larger bearing and forget about it!!!!!!!!!!!!

G

The bearings get hot enough to melt the carriers and even wheels.

CTGT2005

Geez, well thats depressing. Im negative 5-7 days into ownership and it looks like its already making my wallet light!

rcgasser

LOL yes it will lighten your wallet a little but once you do the up grades you will have a quick and nimble and light weight buggy that will run great.

CTGT2005

I'm undeterred, I'm happy to accept the XB for what it is and make any changes I need to make it perfect. My 5B wasnt exactly perfect either and I still drove the heck out of it.

CTGT2005

At the end of the day, when my bearings suffer catastrophic failure, thats the worst that happens.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deluge

No. The MT and the X series are completely different platforms. The MT has bigger bearings, so it's not an issue.

Spriggan

Does the Redcat have spacers between the bearing inside the hubs? The Mavrick version doesn't have any, and I found that when the wheel nuts were done up tight the bearings were being crushed together which was causing them to wear out quickly.

To get over that problem I made some alloy spacers. these seem to have helped no end, the bearing are lasting much longer.

%5Bimg%5Dhttp%3A//i134.photobucket.com/albums/q120/burgesskab/Vader%20XB/DSCF1030-1.jpg[/img]

Ol' fart

+1

I have had my bigger bearings fail for this same reason. I replace the bearings for free but I always make a set of spacers just like these so I don't have to replace them again. Redcat should include them with there XB's. I think thats why there bearing fail so soon. The HPI adapters I make don't put any pressure on the bearings. Just a differant way of doing the job.

CTGT2005

What did you make those spacers from? I'll have to give that a try. If its aluminum it might also help absorb some of the heat that builds up in the bearings also.

Spriggan

Alloy tube. I found that the outer tube from an old window stay from my touring caravan were a perfect fit. Other than that I bored some tubing out to fit on the lath.

You do really need to spin these out on a lath, or at least a drill chuck, as the sides need to be perfectly parallel and straight, or they can put uneven pressure on the bearings which would cause stress and wear.

If the bearing are running free and are well greased they shouldn't really get all that hot. it only really the friction caused by overloading that generates the heat.

Last edited by a moderator:

CTGT2005

Spriggan said:
Alloy tube. I found that the outer tube from an old window stay from my touring caravan were a perfect fit. Other than that I bored some tubing out to fit on the lath.You do really need to spin these out on a lath, or at least a drill chuck, as the sides need to be perfectly parallel and straight, or they can put uneven pressure on the bearings which would cause stress and wear.

If the bearing are running free and are well greased they shouldn't really get all that hot. it only really the friction caused by overloading that generates the heat.
I have a milling machine so it shouldnt be an issue to get the ends close to parallel. I was already planning on removing every bearing and replacing the grease with a high dropping point red grease.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts