• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

XB-E to XT-E

XBENOOB

Just finished converting my xb-e to an xt-e.

Reason for Conversion: Mainly because I screwed up the buggy body....

Already installed on the buggy:

• RamTech hpi wheel adapters
  • 4 HPI tarmac buster wheels and tires (fronts)

I purchased the following:

• truck body
  • truck body posts
  • truck bumper (for an xt)
  • Tacon 1400kv motor from hobbypartz
  • 10T pinion
  • More body clips

and the result......

XBENOOB

Thanks for all the positive feed back..

I am hoping that I will get more air flow on the motor....

When I ran it with the buggy body and the 11T pinion, that 1400kv Tacon motor got real hot... to quote my temp reader "HI"... lol.... It has to get north of 304.5 degrees Fahrenheit before it says that.... :eek:

Motor still working though.... so for a 70 buck motor... it's pretty tough...

The cool thing is the stock cooling fins from the redcat motor fits the tacon perfectly... The motor is only 65mm in length... so the cooling fins cover the entire motor...

Ran out of daylight to test it... will test it in the morning...

XBENOOB

XB-E to XT-E /\/\/\/\/\/\ Update /\/\/\/\/\/\

Tacon Motor died.... Melted the solder off the connectors on the motor...

Put back in the Castle 2200kv and it ran for two weeks with no electrical problems... Only a broken turnbuckle (have since sleeved them).

Picked up some Pro-line bow ties on badlands rims..

Have some bearings and the bearing holders (front and rear) coming in from 7075rc (had an employee that lives in the US order them for me... Wish he would ship to Canada direct... but back on topic) Waiting for the package to arrive....

Ordered a light kit from KillerRC... waiting for it to arrive

Ordered the stainless screw kit from rcscrewz (almost two weeks ago) waiting for it to arrive...

More heat problems...... solder melting of the connectors on the hobbywing esc..

Purchased a Mamba Max ESC.... Caused my Hitec servo to twitch like crazy, and then smoke from the ESC... Dead before I even got to run it.. :mad:

Have a Mamba XL ESC on order.... That should be able to feed that Castle 1515 (2200kv) with no problems... :rolleyes:

...... You know.... I think my wife is right... It is a little green machine.... It eats money faster than the ex-wife can cash the alimony check. :D

It is fun to play with though.... More than I could say for the Ex....

John H

Ps. stainless screws are a bad investment... they are very 'soft' , they strip easily , better use 12.7 steel screws then.

Dirtconvert

XBENOOB said:
Thanks for all the positive feed back..I am hoping that I will get more air flow on the motor....

When I ran it with the buggy body and the 11T pinion, that 1400kv Tacon motor got real hot... to quote my temp reader "HI"... lol.... It has to get north of 304.5 degrees Fahrenheit before it says that.... :eek:

Motor still working though.... so for a 70 buck motor... it's pretty tough...

The cool thing is the stock cooling fins from the redcat motor fits the tacon perfectly... The motor is only 65mm in length... so the cooling fins cover the entire motor...

Ran out of daylight to test it... will test it in the morning...
That is insanely hot, and incredible that the motor still works! Check your ESC temps too. With the CC Mamba.Monster Esc, my motor temps were in the 150-165 range, with the hobbywing they were about 10 degrees higher with occasional spikes to around 200. Not sure what the esc was doing but everything would get warm. I would let it cool off, drive it again the exact same way and temps were back to normal?? Truggy looks alot like the new Shredder. Cool project.

XBENOOB

John H said:
Ps. stainless screws are a bad investment... they are very 'soft' , they strip easily , better use 12.7 steel screws then.
True.... But at least I have a complete set of screws that I can replace as needed... For the most part, replacing screws that join metal to plastic... So... Stainless is stronger than the plastic...

Plus.... It's not going to rust... and I think they are much stronger than the cheap screws that came on the buggy.. Snapped the heads of 5 of them during the initial tear down....

XBENOOB

Dirtconvert said:
That is insanely hot, and incredible that the motor still works! Check your ESC temps too. With the CC Mamba.Monster Esc, my motor temps were in the 150-165 range, with the hobbywing they were about 10 degrees higher with occasional spikes to around 200. Not sure what the esc was doing but everything would get warm. I would let it cool off, drive it again the exact same way and temps were back to normal?? Truggy looks alot like the new Shredder. Cool project.
Tacon Motor died.... Melted the solder off the connectors on the motor...

Put back in the Castle 2200kv and it ran for two weeks with no electrical problems... Only a broken turnbuckle (have since sleeved them).

More heat problems...... solder melting of the connectors on the hobbywing esc..

Purchased a Mamba Max ESC.... Caused my Hitec servo to twitch like crazy, and then smoke from the ESC... Dead before I even got to run it.. :mad:

Have a Mamba XL ESC on order.... That should be able to feed that Castle 1515 (2200kv) with no problems... :rolleyes:

Picked up some Pro-line bow ties on badlands rims..

Bearings and the bearing holders (front and rear) came in from 7075rc.. Nice.....

Light kit from KillerRC arrived ... nice light kit... waiting on the light pods...

Stainless screw kit from rcscrewz arrived... Nice kit...

Will update the pictures once complete... Will also add a vid showing the lights running... Have a police station that is three houses down from me. I do doughnuts in the parking lot.... Want to do that with the lights in police mode.... :D

XBENOOB

Speed Run......

I did a speed run by driving a car behind and looked at the speedometer (I was the passenger not the driver)...

XT-E got up to 54mph (87 km/h) before we ran out of road... :eek:

Did 5 runs... all about the same +/- a few mph...

Also the light kit looks real nice at night... Also really helps you see it in the distance during the day... :D

XBENOOB

Obeast44 said:
Damn thats fast! Hows the temps when geared that high?
:D :D :D Yes it is fast... The temps are still a little high after 5 runs...Caused the ESC to do a temp shutdown.... The motor is around 140 but the ESC got to 180...I am trying to learn some control... and not run it at full throttle all the time.. But it is nice to know that the power is there when I need it..I have installed another ESC fan (scavenged from a previously burned out ESC) over the three capacitors... I am hoping that this will help keep the temps down....Now all I need is some aluminum lower arms and the shock holder in aluminum so the bumps don't rip them out.... IMG_0171.jpg

IMG_0171.jpg

/monthly_2011_08/IMG_0171.jpg.b576b436b41e83d06ad7dfb13007496c.jpg

XBENOOB

New 5000mah batteries arrived today (as well as the replacement receiver)

Still waiting on the baja light pods..

New batteries at night with lights on (including buzzing the police in police mode:D) driving at a reasonable pace (can't see anything around the car only the lights... lol) got me 45 minutes of driving time.... :D :D

Had a couple of police cars stop and admire the truck... they liked the police mode... (nice to have the local cops with a sense of humor).... Thinking of naming the XT-E "Brute Force".... lol

Because... at 20lbs and a speed of over 54mph... It is a Brute...

and.... with the killer rc light kit on it... "It knows the way of the Force".... lol

Once the light pods arrive... That will be 4 pods that contain 12 white LED's each (48 more LEDs...)with the ability to switch to high beams... That should light up the night.... lol

XBENOOB

Kaz the Minotaur said:
Which light kit did you get?
2 x HPI Savage Head Light Mount - Light Color 4-LED blue lights

4 x HPI Baja LED Headlight - LED Headlight Color: White

2 x Iris LED's - LED Configuration: Double , Light Color: Blue

1 x Universal Light Mounts - 4 LED - Light Color: 4-LED red lights

1 x Killer Kontroller 2 - Light Controller

2 x Splitter Cable - Cable Type: 4-Way 6" Splitter

1 x Splitter Cable - Cable Type: 2-Way 6" Splitter

Note: Each Baja LED Headlight has 12 LED's :D

John H

XBENOOB said:
2 x HPI Savage Head Light Mount - Light Color 4-LED blue lights4 x HPI Baja LED Headlight - LED Headlight Color: White

2 x Iris LED's - LED Configuration: Double , Light Color: Blue

1 x Universal Light Mounts - 4 LED - Light Color: 4-LED red lights

1 x Killer Kontroller 2 - Light Controller

2 x Splitter Cable - Cable Type: 4-Way 6" Splitter

1 x Splitter Cable - Cable Type: 2-Way 6" Splitter

Note: Each Baja LED Headlight has 12 LED's :D
Nice, but then you should rename it XT-E "DISCO" :D

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.