• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Wonder what a DR looks like during overhaul?

Chief409

With the TQi radio system I haven't encountered any problem. It woks fine, even with the older TQ 2.4 GHz receivers. I had to disable the radio glitch detection in the Killer Bee, all the Traxxas 2.4 GHz systems are not compatible with the Killer Bee glitch protection.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

That's good to here that's a cool TX. I'm a I-device fan but I still think Traxxas should have built the screen and software into the TX like Flysky did.

Chief409

RCDAD said:
That's good to here that's a cool TX. I'm a I-device fan but I still think Traxxas should have built the screen and software into the TX like Flysky did.
Traxxas kept the price down, if you have a iPhone or iPod, lots of Traxxas Rx's, pretty good deal. Also the temp and voltage sensors are in 4 of my rigs, including the Dune Runner. Only gripe about using an iPod/iPhone is this. My iPod needs a new battery. And Apple built the battery into the thing. Unless you want to get some specialized tools, and have experience soldering on a very small circuit board, it's off the shop, $60+, plus shipping and insurance. To change a battery.

Chief409

Got all the GO stuff in. Now waiting for WHOA stuff and new front shocks. Checked the brakes after hooking up the linkage, nada. Noticed they had gotten weak, went from locking up at full speed on pavement, to questionable during the last run. I thought it was the servo settings, nope. The cam goes around, but the pads and disks are not getting forced together. When the brake goes, it goes fast.

I don't want this OBR Prostock powered rig running with no brakes.

Sure turned into quite the overhaul. :)

Chief409

A couple of pictures of my Dune Runner during the overhaul.

How it looks with the Traxxas TQi temp and voltage instrumentation wiring installed.

Checking the instrumentation read out on the iPod.

How accurate is the temp readout, Very Accurate.

The front shocks and the brake parts SHOULD arrive by Friday. Once I get those installed it should be SHOW TIME!

G

That's cool look'n!

Chief409

New front shocks arrived today, however the brake parts just shipped, put the order in Monday. Coming from Ohio.

Sigh...

Perhaps I'll move next door to RCDAD! :)

G

We don't have snow to slow things down! And its great to have Redcat here locally.

Chief409

RCDAD said:
And its great to have Redcat here locally.
Must be nice! I'm looking at email in the morning, and after work checking on orders. Christmas is nice ONCE a year, but every day....?

Oh well, when the brake parts get in, the Photo Buggy WILL BE BACK ON THE DIRT! I've arranged to run with some drivers on the old BMX track at Edwards AFB. When the suspension is dialed in, I think it'll be a run for THEIR money!

Chief409

RCDAD said:
Sounds fun. I'm sure you'll post some good video of it.
Only when I win! :)

Working on these things, getting them set up and going from nowhere to winning, that's RACING!

And, from what I've seen, there's no reason the Photo Buggy shouldn't beat a 5ive on a track when the Photo Buggy is set up correctly. After that, it's up to the driver. Slower and smooth wins more often then fast and crash.

mulepic

Chief409 said:
Only when I win! :) And, from what I've seen, there's no reason the Photo Buggy shouldn't beat a 5ive on a track when the Photo Buggy is set up correctly. After that, it's up to the driver. Slower and smooth wins more often then fast and crash.
Have you been on a track w/ 5ives w/ your DR? SC driving is quite different from open wheel. On top of that, 5ive drivers seem to drive w/ an added aggression supported by the elevated durability of the 5ive. It's a little tough racing w/ those 5ives to say the least.

Chief409

mulepic said:
Have you been on a track w/ 5ives w/ your DR? SC driving is quite different from open wheel. On top of that, 5ive drivers seem to drive w/ an added aggression supported by the elevated durability of the 5ive. It's a little tough racing w/ those 5ives to say the least.
Guess we'll find out.

I have a history of taking out the big guy. Skill and knowledge, and being damm mean. Isn't that racing?

mulepic

Chief409 said:
Guess we'll find out.
Just play it conservative like you're the quest at their party. Where will you be racing? If there wasn't a local track I wouldn't even consider a 5th scale. But it's by far my most favorite track car.

Chief409

mulepic said:
Just play it conservative like you're the quest at their party. Where will you be racing? If there wasn't a local track I wouldn't even consider a 5th scale. But it's by far my most favorite track car.
Old BMX track at Edwards AFB. Informal bashing with some guys who race all over SoCal and live around here. What I learn there, I'll incorporate before I run at Devore or other tracks. Common dominator, OBR engines.

If someone has heard of a RedCat racing in SoCal, I'd like to know about it. All I've heard about is Losi, HPI, etc.

Should be a blast!

Chief409

Got the new front shock on. With the Baja 5b springs really easy to set pre-load on the rear to get the DR level.

One thing I STRONGLY recommend everyone to do. Drain and refill the shocks with your choice of shock fluid. Stock shocks can be over filled, under filled, filled with God knows what. My Dune Runner out of the box shock set up was so stiff, there wasn't ANY suspension travel. Then the replacement shock I installed today was only half filled. There is NO QC at Red Cat for shock builds.

Then work on spring rate.

HAPPY RUNS!

Chief409

I think I have everything on hand to get the Photo Buggy back on the road, matter of fact it might of gotten put together tonight, but, I'm a Redneck and watching NASCAR at Daytona on Friday and not sitting back with my brew of choice after work is un-American (and it's the first time I haven't been sick from the flu in a week and half).

I've made some major changes to the power, thanks to OBR, and drivetrain, thanks' Brian at RCPitStop, when the Photo Buggy has some run time I will surely put up pictures AND a YouTube video.

OBTW - What's the size and weight difference between a Dune Runner and a 5ive?

Chief409

Had a small setback because of missing brake grub screws. I'm tired of waiting for small parts to show up, with a shipping cost many times the price of the parts, so while looking things over I decided to place some flat washers on the posts between the bearing carrier and the brake pad. It's shimmed to just short of touching the brake cam now. Haven't adjusted the servo throw for the brake yet, but that is a piece of cake with the TQi/iPod system. If this works OK, great. If it doesn't, I think screws with a jam nut to hold them in place instead of grub screws.

And, I don't think I'll lose the washers! Next is putting the last little pieces on and Get This Bad Boy Running!

G

I always get a RCScrwewz kit with every platform. It is a stainless kit, so they are not cheap, but having the hardware when you need it is priceless.

Hope your up and running soon...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts