• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Wonder what a DR looks like during overhaul?

Chief409

Intact, front left suspension not broken.

2013-01-18191437.jpg

Engine out and waiting for parts.

2013-02-01201717.jpg

2013-02-01201754.jpg

Waiting

Jan312013010.jpg

alfred e numan

you can afford Folgers instant?

Is that Folgers instant? I want some! Best value is sorta bitter. LOL. Looking good 409, That OBR will pick um up and set um down big time!

Chief409

Yep, one Pro Stock 30.5! Need a clutch bell first. Found that this afternoon.

The stock HY will become a OBR Race Port with a 2mm stroker crankshaft.

Nice having two complete engines!

Chief409

alfred e numan said:
Is that Folgers instant? I want some! Best value is sorta bitter. LOL. Looking good 409, That OBR will pick um up and set um down big time!
After 20+ in the Navy and all the mid watches, you get addicted to good strong coffee!

Can't wait to fire up the OBR!

Chief409

MNRampage said:
I hope you have it fired up soon !
Me too! During the tear down and inspection I'm finding all those little things you won't find other wise that are now on order. Then I'm rebuilding the shocks, using Losi 30W front, 40W rear, HPI Baja 5b black springs front and rear, replacing all the wheel bearings, I saw the thread about Nu-Tech shocks but those are out of stock everywhere I looked.

http://www.nutechracingusa.com/shocksetfront.aspx

These are out of stock also.

http://www.davesmotors.com/tr697_3?whence=

So, I'll go to the tried and true mod route with available parts and make 'em work.

Then putting in the OBR Pro Stock.

Won't be the same Dune Runner when I'm done. And I talked to the Boss the other day, looks like we're going to Dunetoberfest. Also Sean at OBR put me in touch with someone local who races a 5ive, don't want to be too embarrassed when we get together on the BMX track at Edwards.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chief409

All the parts are here or will arrive today. After work I'll refill the shocks and put on the Baja 5b springs, replace the front lower arms, both steering carriers and all the wheel bearings, front and rear. All that will be left is replacing the clutch bell (new fiber lock nut - never reuse one of those), putting the filter on the 990 breather hole, putting in the Prostock 30.5, reassembling the cage and realigning the servo's. Red LockTite on all metal to metal screws, and the 1/4" toque wrench and torque spec sheet is on the bench.. Plan on running this weekend.

G

That's a nice engine. It's going to make a big difference over stock.

Chief409

Replaced the left lower suspension arm, both steering carriers, all the axle bearings, drained and refilled the shocks and installed the Baja 5b springs. The rear springs fit perfectly (only need the lower spring), the front springs are a bit longer then stock, not enough to be a problem. So between the stock springs, and the 3 spring rates available with the Baja springs, a affordable way to tune a MT/Dune Runner V3 suspension using stock shocks.

Won't get running this weekend, need to replace or rebuild the left front shock. When the Buggy takes a hit that breaks the lower suspension arm, shock damage should be expected. I didn't. Live and learn.

Next is replacing the clutch bell, and getting the OBR Prostock in place while I wait on the shock.

I really am looking forward to firing this engine up!

Chief409

Thought I'd pass on some things I found during this first tear down.

When I pulled the clutch bell I found the drift pin had almost completely disengaged. The housing kept it from completely coming out. The shims (4) were not correctly installed. One was on the lock nut side instead of the bearing side.

All 3 of the lock nuts on the transmission had loosened. Fiber or nylon lock nuts have been known to do when used in a high vibration environment. I replaced 2 of the 3 lock nuts and used Blue Lock Tite. Too bad there are no 6mm metal lock nuts available. This has moved to my "Post Run" checks.

I'm getting one of the Team Fast Eddy shock stands. It takes FOREVER for all the air bubbles to get thru the fluid when refilling shocks.

The Baja 5b springs have loosened up the suspension. A good dirt rig only becomes great when the suspension is flexible.

This is what I've found on my Dune Runner after really hard use. It's my first Large Scale rig. My other experience is with with seven or eight 1/10 dirt and track rigs, over 30 years. SCT, bashers and Monster Trucks that I've built into good runners. Electric and Nitro.

alfred e numan

slow like Mrs Butterworth.

these shocks take a while to bleed also. tb2 shocks. why? because i use Losi 2,000 wt silicone diff fluid in them. it does take repeated hard pumping with the shocks almost fully extended to force the air out from the bearing-seal area.- yes, this sounds way too thick. the pistons have 4 large holes and quite a bit of piston to inner shock body clearance. This weight fluid is close to ideal. There are vacume pumps for shocks out there. cannot afford, Newtons law is free for everyone.

Chief409

1/10 shocks with the same weight, bim, bam, boom. Done. Large volume shocks, nope. I felt like I was holding one of my kids when they were sick and couldn't put 'em down. STUCK.

Pump the shock, and wait, and wait...

I'm curious about what the fluid is I dumped out of one shock was though. Creamy white, I dumped it and let it sit for a couple of hours. When I tossed it, it hadn't changed one little bit. Though thinking about it, I think that's the shock that was damaged and I'm replacing.

Chief409

Got most of the Dune Runner put back together today. Couldn't use the Zenoah case cover, the spacing of the bottom screw mounts is different on the bottom of the fan case, so I had to use the the HY case cover. Right now I'm waiting for new front shocks from DDM, I tried 3 or 4 times to buy them from RedCat Racing using Pay Pal, and kept getting Server Error.

A couple of pictures.

Can't use a Zenoah fan case on a Dune Runner, the screw spacing is different.

Didn't take a picture of the etched OBR info, but here is the sticker over the exhaust. Recognize the writing?

Yep, it's a OBR engine.

Looking good, just waiting for the new front shocks.

Chief409

The buggy also has cylinder temp monitoring, RX voltage monitoring via Traxxas TQi system, displayed on a iPod on the TX.

I feel it just might enable me to fine tune the exhaust using this info.

andyken

Chief409 said:
The buggy also has cylinder temp monitoring, RX voltage monitoring via Traxxas TQi system, displayed on a iPod on the TX.I feel it just might enable me to fine tune the exhaust using this info.
Any problems with the tqi?

I have the non docking one 2ch.

Any issues with the killer b?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts