• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Wierd Experience with my engine.

Ildy666

chue whats up dude.yea that plug is fine just put a new one in and try it out...

ChuenouXiao

Ildy666 said:
chue whats up dude.yea that plug is fine just put a new one in and try it out...
I wanted to see if it was the plug so I cleaned it with carb spray and it seem to solve the problem. Going to run till the plug goes bad... what do you think?

ChuenouXiao

Here is a better pic guys... please tell me what you think it is

What is it? I assume it is normal as other guys here are saying :D ? I hope it is ..... :(

Ildy666

chue was the spark plug ever loose when you were running it?becuase it kinda looks like blow by from the compression.Can you wipe it off with a q-tip or can you run a tooth pick over it to see if it is a scratch.I don't think it has any negative effect on your motor.keep us posted on what you find...

ChuenouXiao

Ildy666 said:
chue was the spark plug ever loose when you were running it?becuase it kinda looks like blow by from the compression.Can you wipe it off with a q-tip or can you run a tooth pick over it to see if it is a scratch.I don't think it has any negative effect on your motor.keep us posted on what you find...
My spark plug was never loose Idly. It is a cut. It looks like a cut for sure. (Didn't have the chance to wipe it with q tip but it look like a cut. GTS666 was saying it's normal. I do believe him. What do you think? With the cut... I was able to run my RC four around 2 hour with no problem.....

ChuenouXiao

GTS 666 said:
Yeah that's right the piston can only face one way as the ring has a join in it and it must face the intake. Or else the ring will catch the exhaust port and destroy the head and prob cost you a bit of money.
HEY GTS 666.... are you a engine builder? How do you know about this? Your information here gives me hope.... please chime in... thanks...

ChuenouXiao

RampageHopUps said:
Yes, its true. The ring can not have a gap where the exhaust port is, or it will get hung up and sieze the motor.
So in other words, it's normal that I have that scratch and was part of the engine building process?

ChuenouXiao

RampageHopUps said:
I thought we were talking about the ring facing forward.The scratch isn't on the cylinder wall, so I think it will be OK>
GTS666 was referring to page 2 picture of this thread. That's what you are talking about right? :D

GTS 666

I'm no professional engine builder but have had some experience with these engines. Once you have pulled apart one and look at how basic they are it's easier to understand how they work. I've ported my own heads and crank cases as have other guys here too. If there is a scratch in side your head I wouldn't worry to much as you can't fix it without replacing it so if your not losing power run it like you stole it.

ChuenouXiao

GTS 666 said:
I'm no professional engine builder but have had some experience with these engines. Once you have pulled apart one and look at how basic they are it's easier to understand how they work. I've ported my own heads and crank cases as have other guys here too. If there is a scratch in side your head I wouldn't worry to much as you can't fix it without replacing it so if your not losing power run it like you stole it.
But GTS 666, is that scratch normal ware and tear or was it part of the building process? Sorry if I'm repeating my question.

Deluge

To me, it looks like it's right above a transfer port. Could be the angle of the picture, though. If you're really concerned about it, take the head off. That's really the only way find out what it is, for sure.

ChuenouXiao

Deluge said:
To me, it looks like it's right above a transfer port. Could be the angle of the picture, though. If you're really concerned about it, take the head off. That's really the only way find out what it is, for sure.
Yes.. it is a port. Its one of the ports on the side that have the scratch. I believe there is four opening. The air intake port, the exhaust port, and the two side ports (I don't know the name). One of the side ports got a scratch as seen on the pics attached. What are your thoughts Deluge? The shot of the pic was from the side of the car, not the rear or front of the car with the engine mounted onto the car.

Last edited by a moderator:

GTS 666

Deluge said:
Completely agree the only way to tell is to take the head off but if it's not broken or losing power than you won't gain anything from the exercise. If it is a scratch up above one of the transfer ports it won't make any difference to the performance anyway or the run life of the engine IMO. Fuel up lean it out on the high needle and give it heaps mate.

ChuenouXiao

GTS 666 said:
Completely agree the only way to tell is to take the head off but if it's not broken or losing power than you won't gain anything from the exercise. If it is a scratch up above one of the transfer ports it won't make any difference to the performance anyway or the run life of the engine IMO. Fuel up lean it out on the high needle and give it heaps mate.
I have a question though guys....once I take the engine's head off or the engine apart, for best pratices, I should replace gaskets right? It's just good practice right? It's not like I'm going to take the head off :D but just thought I should ask.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts