• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Wierd Experience with my engine.

ChuenouXiao

Racers,

Need your help! Today I started my engine (with the good ideal needle setting from previous run) and let it idle for warm up and then try to run it. The problem is it's acting like I am running too rich on the LSN. Like it's going to die when you accelerate. I told myself no big deal and try to adjust the LSN a little by leaning it. I've realize that when I lean or rich the LSN at a certain degree, the engine will not idle and die on me. I've never experience this issue before, leaning the LSN and the engine dieing on you? What is going on here? Note this is a OBR 5.5 hp pro stock. Please help me!... I was able to run it up and down the street but it still kept on dieing on me and then act like i'm running rich on the LSN. While I'm trying to adjust it so that it will idle and run properly... what could be the problem?

Last edited by a moderator:

ChuenouXiao

Deluge said:
How many tanks have you put through it? I'd try a new plug.
I would say, around 7 to 8 tanks. My bro in law and I was talking to each other and we both agreed that the engine is acting like it was first fired when it was brand new :D I took out the spark plug, looked at it, cleaned it with a cloth.... it is black and grey.... put it back in... started the engine... so far... it seems ok now. I will confirm tomorrow after work. Could be plug huh Deluge?

ChuenouXiao

Deluge said:
Sounds like it. Sounds like you're running a little rich, as well.
Rich is what went through my mind too. Here is the trick Deluge. If I lean 15% of the LSN... the engine will cut off. Now since it cuts off, I rich it back to my known good setting on the LSN. Now this time I rich it 15% also, the engine cuts off too. Now for rich I understand... but for me leaning the LSN 15% and the engine cuts off? Seems a bit strange... cause it should idle faster and faster and start to accelerate right? It's just strange....

Deluge

The color of the plug says you're running rich. When you run rich, the plug gets dirty and that will effect performance and cause tuning issues. Sounds like you caught it before it completely fouled.

ChuenouXiao

Deluge said:
The color of the plug says you're running rich. When you run rich, the plug gets dirty and that will effect performance and cause tuning issues. Sounds like you caught it before it completely fouled.
It makes lots of sense..... I will get back to you Deluge... please check back tomorrow

ChuenouXiao

Deluge said:
Hey guys,

I took a look inside my engine from the spark plug hole and here's what I see. A triangle shape like marking on the piston. Is this normal? What is it? Is it part of OBR's emblem?

ChuenouXiao

GTS 666 said:
Yep it's normal its so you know to have the piston pointed towards the exhaust. Some pistons just have a dot.
Are you sure? So its for the builder who is working on the engine to know how to orient the piston properly huh?

Last edited by a moderator:

GTS 666

ChuenouXiao said:
Are you sure? So its for the builder who is working on the engine to know how to orient the piston properly huh?
Yeah that's right the piston can only face one way as the ring has a join in it and it must face the intake. Or else the ring will catch the exhaust port and destroy the head and prob cost you a bit of money.

ChuenouXiao

brio said:
So did it run better with the new plug as suggested?Also, what carb u runnin?
The engine comes stock with a 990. I'm still using the old plug but I cleaned it with Carb sorry and brushed it clean. The engine doesn't bog down when I accelerate no more. I can still hear a very very small bog or cut off of the engine sometimes.it happens early when acceleration.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts