• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Wicked's Build up of the Rampage MT

Wicked

Hey guys,

Well here is what's going to become my Rampage MT upgrade thread. Hopefully going to be an interesting thread. When I am new to an RC these are the threads I love to look at. A start and finish and comments on the way.

For guys like moonman007uk, csp1971, kryptonite, and others you've already done everything I'm going to be doing but please feel free to input your thoughts at anytime if you see something I'm doing wrong or just something I should be doing.

Here is a list of everything I have going into the Rampage including stuff that has already been installed. Still waiting on some stuff though.

Rampage Upgrade kit

ESP or OBR 30.5 mod motor. (Not sure which one I want to put in this truck)

Z-RC Billet Manifold W/Teflon gaskets

DDM Dominator Pipe

HPI Air Filter Assembly

Spektrum DX3R

Cat 5 Drive Cup Savers

Hitec HS-5745MG (Steering)

Hitec HS-5645MG (Throttle)

Alloy (Blue) Gear Mount

Alloy (Blue) Front Brace

Alloy (Blue) Steering Mounts

Alloy (Blue) Steering knuckles

Alloy (Copper) Rear Hub Carriers

Vertigo Performance ABEC 5 Full bearing kit

Steel Gear Set 35Tx1 - 25Tx3

Full Force fuel tubing

HPI wheel nuts

DDM Alloy (Blue) Pull Start Handle

Volt Watch 2 Battery Monitor

DDM Starter Paw

Slammer Damn Engine Debris Protector

Outerwears (Blue) air filter cover

Outerwears (Blue) Pull start cover

HPI High Response Clutch Shoe & Spring Set

Billet Fuel Filter

Here are some pix starting with the truck as it was before I started tearing it down.

Here is how it is now.

Just a shot of some of the mods.

img3751j.jpg

Wicked

Here is a pic at were I am at now. I took a little break and went down to help a bud put his baja together.

Just a shot showing the size difference of the stock and Hitec 5745 mg

rob64n

Contributor
well if it helps out i put small thick washers under the four posts that mount the tank didn't want to rub hole in it from vibration, and i also used the cat5 cup savers on center dogbones with boots,and of coarse greese to keep dirt out

pwaicon

I am with you; I always look for threads like this when I am interested in a new car. You can never have too many build threads. I think each one usually adds something different to the build process. I am looking forward to following your build.

aqwut

Those aluminum parts looks pretty.. I need to get some... but if I do, I'd build a whole new one...

roccos_van

Good list, but you are missing an upgraded clutch. The MT tires and a 30.5 ported motor will smoke the stocker. Get a Lauterbacher 4 shoe and don't look back.

Wicked

roccos_van said:
Good list, but you are missing an upgraded clutch. The MT tires and a 30.5 ported motor will smoke the stocker. Get a Lauterbacher 4 shoe and don't look back.
You know I just started reading about those high end clutchs and realized that I should have picked one up before some of the other items. I will get getting one but right now after all this the funds are really tight. I am just going to let my stockers go and then I will be picking up 2. One for the Baja and the other for the Rampage since I have those big 30.5's going in both.

pwaicon said:
I am with you; I always look for threads like this when I am interested in a new car. You can never have too many build threads. I think each one usually adds something different to the build process. I am looking forward to following your build.
Well you know its like instead of reading over many posts of things you should be doing threads like this usally show allot of the tweaks that need to be done. And with the input of others this one should go good.

Last edited by a moderator:

DemonRC

This should be a great MT build. I have some input on the starter pawl though. Just be sure to keep the pullstart engagement working well. I've seen a metal pawl eat itself and a flywheel up. When it didn't disengage properly.

BTW are the CAT5 diff sleeves aluminum or steel?

Wicked

OK not much of an update but I tempered the cups and installed them and the pins.

Sorry I have no pix of tempering the diff cups but as I have read many times its pretty easy, especially if your using new ones as you can really see the colour change. Takes about a minute for each, maybe even less. I went to blue then to silver as that seems to be the most common temp to get them to. Then I just let them air cool.

I filled the cases just over the cross shafts. I may take a little out.

This pin I had to grind a little off as its a little longer then the V1 pins and I couldn't get it to go in.

I'm getting read to install the cat 5 diff cup savers and what you want to make sure of is that the pins are ground down below the cups so that the savers don't come into contact with them, because if they do...... the steel pins will win every time.

Pin ground down.

Last edited by a moderator:

pwaicon

Even though you are using the diff savers I would still recommend using green loctite on the pins. I had a pin bust through one of my diff saver sleeves, a loose pin on a race ported 30.5 engine was no match for the sleeve. On Moo’s advice I went back a put green loctite and so far everything is holding up great.

Wicked

HOLY CRAP!!! I"M BACK TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SO I just got the call about an hour ago telling me that I am going back to work. I've been off since the first week of January.

I was told its temporary till Nov 20Th but I'll take it. Back to pushing the big green botton. And some times the bigger red botton

I can see this project taking a little longer then I thought now.

Wicked

Well I got the rear put all back together with the new rear hubs. I used 7000W silicone diff fluid instead of grease like what was in there. :/

I also got my HBZ Roll Cage today from catchaser and it looks great on the truck. I put the roll cage on just so I could get an idea of how it will look.

Wicked

Well since I am back to work I don't have the time anymore to spend on it like I wanted. I finally got to work on the truck this weekend and well for right now I am almost done.

rob64n

Contributor
they are aluminum, but if you have problems with the pins they will wear on the cups, i took mine out ground a little off the ends and put a small grind in the center to hold loctite retaining compound, so far no problems

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts