• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Why wont my carb prime ?

csp1971

Contributor
Low speed needle- turn it in about an eighth of a turn. Sounds like it's getting too much fuel and flooding at idle.

Keith81

I'll try a few suggestions tomorrow, I've had enough for today, would love to get it running correctly before selling it, makes it that much more easy!

ImminentFailure

I don't know what carb came on my XT when i got it last month, but i can't tune my L needle anywhere near the stock tune points everyone posts. I've posted about it before, and if/when i get running again I'm taking a damm video of it.

I go 1/2 turn out from closed, then close it 1/8th. It runs like a dream. More than 1/2 turn open and it wont even turn over, just sputs fuel out the back. I run my H needle at the stock + a 1/10th maybe.

My plug has (or had haha) that nice paper brown bag color on the ceramic after doing 10 second full throttle passes (3 of them) and the killing it remotely before it start to idle.

GTS 666

Sorry to hear your having dramas with that engine stick with it sounds like your almost there. I just modded a 23cc for my onroader and was having the same problem with start ups it would start and stop gets annoying I ended up taking carby back off and used gasket sealer on all gaskets including the insulator block to the motor. I put it back together and then I started fine. If it's a brand new carb and your got fuel and spark I would suggest to seal the inlet so there is definitely no leaks good luck let us know how you go.

Keith81

GTS 666 said:
Sorry to hear your having dramas with that engine stick with it sounds like your almost there. I just modded a 23cc for my onroader and was having the same problem with start ups it would start and stop gets annoying I ended up taking carby back off and used gasket sealer on all gaskets including the insulator block to the motor. I put it back together and then I started fine. If it's a brand new carb and your got fuel and spark I would suggest to seal the inlet so there is definitely no leaks good luck let us know how you go.
I will try to re-tune it again and follow what you said, it cant hurt to try, it clearly wants to run, but just starts right up within 3 pulls and then stalls within 5-10-15 seconds...

One thing I didnt do was install new gaskets on the carb, they both "looked" pretty good so I didnt bother, probably my mistake right there, I have new gaskets and I dunno why I didnt replace, I'm lazy or just rushed it.. Now I gotta do it again and replace those, maybe that too will help... Guess I'll find out today or this evening...

:)

Keith81

OK, So I just got back from replacing the gaskets... Put it all back together, reset the carb again, Primed it and got fuel! Pulled with choke, now nothing... No choke, still nothing... What the heck is wrong with this thing. I guess my next step is to pull the engine cover off again, and check the coil gap with a credit card, is this correct ? What else should I look for ?

I just wanna get this bad boy running, bad enough my MT wont start either, and I gotta diagnose and repair that... Man these trucks are coming close to being both for sale....

:(

Deluge

Check it with a business card. What I do is loosen the bolts that hold the coil, slide the coil up, and snug down the top coil bolt to hold it in place. Now, rotate the flywheel until the magnetic area faces the coil, place the business card over the magnets and loosen the bolt that's holding the coil. The magnets will pull the coil down, setting the gap. Now push the coil down and hold it while you tighten the bolts, then pull the business card out. Finished. If you need a visual, the video I posted a few pages back shows you how to set it.

While you have the cover off, check the kill switch and make sure it's not stuck. Also, check for damage to the spark plug wire.

EDIT: I posted the video in another thread. Here it is.

[ame]

[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:

Keith81

I'll check the coil as described and re set that gabe, I never did that when I put it back together, good chance that may be my problem, I sure hope so anyways. I'll report back this afternoon...

GTS 666

Before pulling to much apart it maybe easier to take plug out and pull start it with the plug touching the head to see if you can see a spark. And I forgot to mention that on the carb there is a small hole at the back that feeds through the plastic insulator block to engine don't block that hole. Hope it starts mate.

Keith81

Pulled the cover off, did the coil gap with the business card, re tuned the carb to factory settings, primed and pulled, nothing! tried again with choke on and full throttle and it started for about a minute, I had it full throttle and yet it was only at like a high idle, I don't get it... Its got fuel, Its got good spark... What do I do now ???

I'm bout to pull the engines from both my XT and MT and drop em off to the local small engine shop and get em fixed right by someone who knows more then myself... Otherwise I'm just gonna sell these damn things...

I love em when they run but boy do I hate em when they don't.....

I did to my MT's engine as well and that one wont start at all... Its got fuel and spark too... HELP A BROTHER!

Deluge

Dumb question. But did you try to run full throttle with the choke on? That'll cause you problems. Try adjusting the idle screw, turn it about 1/8th clockwise and see what that does. How is your throttle servo? Not stripped, etc? I'm assuming you installed the carb gaskets correctly. Here's an exploded view of the assembly.

a31sw0.jpg

Keith81

My stock carb didnt have that manifold behind it... The new one I ordered did come with it... should I install that? will the bolts included be long enough ?? I did installed the new gaskets correctly...

Thanks Gabe!

Keith81

I'll try adding the manifold that came with the new carb, like I said the stock one didnt have a manifold anywheres...

I'll report back, as usual, hopefully this time it may run...

IMA_MudSlut

holding my breath!

Keith81 said:
I'll try adding the manifold that came with the new carb, like I said the stock one didnt have a manifold anywheres... I'll report back, as usual, hopefully this time it may run...
Am keeping my fingers crossed for you, Keith. This whole dilemna you've been going through gettin' old, man. You need to have fun now after all the frustrations, money you've invested in this. Sad to think, not just 1 but 2 of 'em quit on ya. Don't sell it though. I got tempted doing that myself, but I hung on, now it's been smooth sailing so far. The small engine repair shop idea might not be a bad idea though. With Deluge's remarkable patience and commitment to help you out, he can only do so much without actually being there. Speaking of which, how far apart are you guys from each other? You know where I'm going with this,right? :D I'd even consider a 4hr. drive just to put an end to this crap you're going through. Have you asked him where he lives? I bet you if Deluge can get his hands on those trucks, those things would fire up in a heartbeat. Or even maybe anyone in this forum who knows more about this stuff than we do and lives closest to you who'd be willing to help out, I'd drive to that person's place asap. Or even this, if you and another person here have Skype, you can actually show him what's going on live! and he can work with you via live streaming. I do this all the time with my 2 nieces who are in college and when they run into a problem with their computer/laptop. They told me how much they've saved on repair thanks to live video via skype. I walked them through on what to do to fix the problem. Hey! there you go, ask someone here to help you out via live video. The beauty of it is...IT'S FREE!! Just a thought. :) As always, GOOD LUCK!! :)

Keith81

IMA_MudSlut said:
Am keeping my fingers crossed for you, Keith. This whole dilemna you've been going through gettin' old, man. You need to have fun now after all the frustrations, money you've invested in this. Sad to think, not just 1 but 2 of 'em quit on ya. Don't sell it though. I got tempted doing that myself, but I hung on, now it's been smooth sailing so far. The small engine repair shop idea might not be a bad idea though. With Deluge's remarkable patience and commitment to help you out, he can only do so much without actually being there. Speaking of which, how far apart are you guys from each other? You know where I'm going with this,right? :D I'd even consider a 4hr. drive just to put an end to this crap you're going through. Have you asked him where he lives? I bet you if Deluge can get his hands on those trucks, those things would fire up in a heartbeat. Or even maybe anyone in this forum who knows more about this stuff than we do and lives closest to you who'd be willing to help out, I'd drive to that person's place asap. Or even this, if you and another person here have Skype, you can actually show him what's going on live! and he can work with you via live streaming. I do this all the time with my 2 nieces who are in college and when they run into a problem with their computer/laptop. They told me how much they've saved on repair thanks to live video via skype. I walked them through on what to do to fix the problem. Hey! there you go, ask someone here to help you out via live video. The beauty of it is...IT'S FREE!! Just a thought. :) As always, GOOD LUCK!! :)
I wish Gabe aka Deluge was close, I just sent him out a part, I believe if my mind serves correctly that he is in Arizona... I'm in New York...

Yikes!

I do appericate all the help though, so friking much!!!!

Deluge

You definitely need that manifold. Here's a vid on how to install it, if you need it. However, I don't know how you can bolt the carb to the engine without one? I don't think it's possible. But, I guess anything is possible.

[ame]

[/ame]

Keith81

I wonder why the stock setup was missing that manifold ??? I'll install it tonight or tomorrow and report back, if it's a no go, I'm gonna pull the engines and drop em off to the small engine shop... Good times!!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.