• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

What Is the Best Oil Brand to put in the Redcat Rampage MT or Other Gas Truck?

Yannik

Hi Guys,

What Is the Best Oil Brand to put in the Redcat Rampage MT or Other Gas Truck ? I hear a bit about Motul 2T Micro but I never talk to someone who actualy used it. Lots of people use motorcycle 2 stroke oil but I would like to know if they make oil specially for RC Gas Truck like the rampage MT ?

Thanks for letting me know,

Yannik ;)

hamster huey

The kind that work. I get whatever brand synthetic at the hobby store and its fine so far.

I have not done extensive long term laboratory testing to find out washdown properties, biodegrade duration, chemical burn testing, envrionmental effects, engine performance dyno testing, cancer rates/birth defects, engine wear, etc,etc so I cant tell you if any of the 3 I used are best but they did work.

lightning73

I use "Bel Ray" H1R full synthetic its not cheap but its a high quality mix oil. Askin a general question like this prepare to get many different opinions....lol

Yannik

hamster huey said:
The kind that work. I get whatever brand synthetic at the hobby store and its fine so far.
I have not done extensive long term laboratory testing to find out washdown properties, biodegrade duration, chemical burn testing, envrionmental effects, engine performance dyno testing, cancer rates/birth defects, engine wear, etc,etc so I cant tell you if any of the 3 I used are best but they did work.
What is the 3 brand you are using?

Yannik

Yannik said:
What is the 3 brand you are using?
Thanks a lot lightning73, I will search for this oil brand to see if I can get it.

Have you heard about the Motul 2T Micro, it seems to be the lead oil brand for r/c Cars & Trucks but it is debatable?

lightning73

You should be able to find it at almost any motorcycle shop that sells dirtbikes and 4 wheelers, thats where I get mine from. Its roughly $9.00 for a 13 ounce bottle........ :eek: .........Like I said its kinda pricey there are many other cheaper options out there but its good oil.

Ive never tried the Motul oil so I cant really offer an opinion on that type.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yannik

I have read on another forum about a guy who gave his opinion about popular oil brand for our r/c machines so I've copied & pasted his post so I might help... Here it is:

"In the real car industry i swear by Motul thats the only brand that goes into my car. But in the RC car industry after doing some research there is one key eliment you need to keep a look out for.

Most 2 stroke oils are formulated for Water-Cooled engines, or they are for air cooled but with a limit of 10,000 rpm.

I have researched and called a few companies to get some technical feed back.

Oils i have looked into are

Castrol 747 (this thing is worth gold!!! @ 17.00 per quart )

Motul 800 2 stroke (Water cooled only 10K rpm limit)

Redline 2 srtoke Synthetic kart oil (second choice)

Klotz RS50 Techniplate (my personal choice)

Amsoil 2-stroke (waste of time)

and some other brands..

What i found is most oils have a limit of when they brake down. All of them are rated at around 10K some are rated at 12K. given that the G230RC motors is capable of hitting 15K rpm and i have 2 of my motors tested on a dyno and i have seen 23K rpm pulls b4 the motor blew i am certain that the motors can scream at around 18-20K rpm depending on modifications to allow the engine to rev.

What i wanted to point out is most oils are for Motorcycle use and 80% of them are watercooled. Karts are also watercooled now vs Air cooled. This leaves us with a problem about stress due to Air cooled motors running hotter and inconsistent temps depending on the speed of the car.

The Castrol A747 used to be my oil of preference as suggested by some guys in Europe. Upon some investigation this oil was designed for water cooled motors. It is good for 15K rpm range but after that there is no telling what will happen.

Redline just states 12K rpm but it's also for Water cooled and can be used for air cooled.

What caught my attention is Klotz. they have several formulas of 2 stroke but they are geard by use. The RS50 seems to be quite a strong oil to be used since it can take the stress of heat and rpm in excess of 15K rpm.

There is much to be tested but based on information given by making phone calls i am convinced that Klotz has an effective product. I will start using this brand oil and see how things wear out. At 5.85 a quart it's not that bad.

I just wanted to start a conversation to see what other people are using for 2 stroke oil and to check if they have taken the Water cooling factor and RPM factor into considiration. This is just my opinion and i would love to hear form others.

BTW, Motul is an Ester Based synthetic, Redline is just a synthetic formula, Klotz is a Castor synthetic based and the others i have no idea?"

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts