• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Walbro WT-990 disappointed.

Stygian

Banned
With the filter I have its held on by a clamp just take it off and put your hand over the stock and give it a few pulls some one else suggested it last night so I tried it and it worked

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

rcgasser

Stygian said:
This is incorrect, because with what you're saying with a factory setting it should fire right up.
No it is correct no carb is is tuned from the factory that's why you have to adjust the needles after break in or when you get a new carb. You can take that same carb that you are having problems getting to crank and adjust the low speed needle until it cranks its just easier to cover the carb and not have to readjust the needle once it running. I just love how they are having problems getting there car to crank have to post a problem on the blog and then tell you that you are not correct!!! I have 5 990 carbs and all of them crank just fine with no problem once you get them tuned.

Stygian

Banned
I can take the fsctory carb in tuned with factory settings and it will fire up no problem at all there fore what you say is incorrect and the 990 shouldn't have so many issues firing with factory setting s

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Sergio

The thing is They don't come set from factory. You shouldn't have to take The air filter every time when i first got mine i installed it and it was working but it was too lean from The factory and i burned The spark plug i was lucky i didnt burn The engine.

REVOlutionary Rampage

The factory settings of the carb are a general setting for your engine to be able to start. You still need to tune for your area. The stock carb is a loose copy of a walbro. The settings may be different for the name brand 990. I have no experience with the 990 but in my experience the name brand stuff usually has closer tolerances etc.. changing the base settings.

rampage idiot

Stygian said:
I can take the fsctory carb in tuned with factory settings and it will fire up no problem at all there fore what you say is incorrect and the 990 shouldn't have so many issues firing with factory setting sSent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
There are NO factory settings every carb and engine is different the base settings are just a baseline then you have to tune the carb to the conditions you are running in ! Come to the east in winter I'll show you how to adjust a 990 LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

Stygian

Banned
rampage idiot said:
There are NO factory settings every carb and engine is different the base settings are just a baseline then you have to tune the carb to the conditions you are running in ! Come to the east in winter I'll show you how to adjust a 990 LOL
lol I would love to come to the east in winter. I know the settings are just a baseline and they have to be tuned but what I'm saying is the factory settings are there as a baseline to get you going to get it tuned, I was just disappointed that it was so difficult to first start to get it tuned.

Stygian

Banned
Sergio said:
The thing is They don't come set from factory. You shouldn't have to take The air filter every time when i first got mine i installed it and it was working but it was too lean from The factory and i burned The spark plug i was lucky i didnt burn The engine.
Yeah that's why I have about 6 extra plugs cause I'm a huge noob at this and if I burn one up I can just pop in a new one.

Dreggsta

i thot that carb tuning vid that flip made was pretty good about hearing what being rich & lean sounded like. i know mechanically speaking, it'sa lot better to be on the rich side. in fact, in a lot of fuel injection apllications, factories tune to be a tad rich. i know when i go to tune my 2 xt's it'll take a me a lil bit to get down. but i plan to tune like flip did & tune my cars w/them on a stand so i can hear them. i know i'll take the hsn & start rich & work my way lean & do the same w/the lsn. i know for idle i'll put the idle on the high side a tick before the wheels start to spin like i did on atv's. these 2 stroke carbs are a bit different than 4 stroke carbs tho.

Stygian

Banned
Dreggsta said:
i thot that carb tuning vid that flip made was pretty good about hearing what being rich & lean sounded like. i know mechanically speaking, it'sa lot better to be on the rich side. in fact, in a lot of fuel injection apllications, factories tune to be a tad rich. i know when i go to tune my 2 xt's it'll take a me a lil bit to get down. but i plan to tune like flip did & tune my cars w/them on a stand so i can hear them. i know i'll take the hsn & start rich & work my way lean & do the same w/the lsn. i know for idle i'll put the idle on the high side a tick before the wheels start to spin like i did on atv's. these 2 stroke carbs are a bit different than 4 stroke carbs tho.
Very good advice thanks, I never seen the video but putting it on a stand so you can hear makes a lot of since, I will have to get me a stand, hopefully can find them cheap.

Dreggsta

yeh, man lol. i meant trip lmao. that flip guy is pretty cool too lolol.

i'm just gonna make me a stand lol. $70 for a stand is kind of rediculous.

Stygian

Banned
Dreggsta said:
yeh, man lol. i meant trip lmao. that flip guy is pretty cool too lolol.i'm just gonna make me a stand lol. $70 for a stand is kind of rediculous.
Umm yeah screw that, I need to buy me a welder and learn to friggin weld haha.

Dreggsta

i'm just going to make one out of wood that is decently high to keep the wheels from touching & set it on my table to tune. or on the grass. i don't have to have something that is tall enough for me to stand. i can kneel. besides, i'm like 6'9" so it'd be way up there if i made where i could tune if i stood lol. i think the mai thing trip, aka flip, said was to tune it next to you.

as for the oil mixture, he says he works on 2 strokes for a living so i believe him. he said in the vid to use whatever mixture you want. until i get comfortable to try anything else i'm going to stay w/25:1. it's what my weed eater uses& it doesn't smoke it's butt off so i'm a stick w/that.

Stygian

Banned
Dreggsta said:
i'm just going to make one out of wood that is decently high to keep the wheels from touching & set it on my table to tune. or on the grass. i don't have to have something that is tall enough for me to stand. i can kneel. besides, i'm like 6'9" so it'd be way up there if i made where i could tune if i stood lol. i think the mai thing trip, aka flip, said was to tune it next to you.as for the oil mixture, he says he works on 2 strokes for a living so i believe him. he said in the vid to use whatever mixture you want. until i get comfortable to try anything else i'm going to stay w/25:1. it's what my weed eater uses& it doesn't smoke it's butt off so i'm a stick w/that.
Damn you're one tall mofo lol, and good point he said he's been doing it for 20years and 25:1 has been working for me too, maybe I will use my xb as a test dummy and try out something different.

Ebb75

I just use my dirt bike stand when I start mine and let it warm up. I been using 25:1 too but my Stihl chainsaw has a 30cc engine and they say 50:1. I don't know, maybe it doesn't rev as high as the MT so doesn't need as much oil. Dirt bike I use 32:1.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts