• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Victory Big Bore Side Exhaust

Chief409

Everything is back together. A Dunerunner is so large the VRC pipe is totally inside the tires, and low enough unless you flip onto a big rock it is protected. Remember a Dunerunner is as large as the Losi 5ive, without the body.

Chief409

Now if there was a full body for the Dunerunner...

Till then I have the Dunerunner, and a custom 5b build that is in work. Don't think I'll get a 5ive.

Last edited by a moderator:

kur

Chief409 said:
A short video with the VRC Pro pipe. Things broke right after this, still waiting for the last parts to arrive.
what broke?

Chief409

Magneto for weak spark, intake manifold was warping, took a while to work thru things. A perfect storm scenario. It has the ADA tall billet manifold now, waiting for a new mag to arrive. Oh, the prototype Power Start wore out, waited for Killer to get some out.

It's been since April? No wonder I've been going thru withdrawal. The Slash was getting some run time though.

Chief409

Ignition problem is solved. Changed the spark plug gap to .027, the OBR Losi 30.5 engine started on the third pull. Got some run time, until the clutch hung up. All that was fixed this morning, but by then it was 106 outside. Now it's around 90, but, there's lightning in the area. Hopefully this will blow by and I'll go get some more running done.

And the OBR Losi 30.5 and a 8K clutch hauls! Doing half throttle break in runs was like running full throttle with the stock engine.

Chief409

Got the buggy fueled, then found it wouldn't roll. OK, tear it down. Pulled the center diff and it rolls fine. Center diff gears are showing some wear, bearings OK. Gears are on order.

Chief409

I've had an eye on this for awhile, seems to be normal wear. S.H. The big problem was nailing down what was causing hard starting, now that I know .027 plug gap fixes that, and the engine starts with a couple pulls, Life is Great. The Dunerunner has always been fun to run, I just want it to run correctly from start to stop.

With the new engine, clutch, pipe and belt drive, when it goes, it's gone! See. Ya! Gone. Waaay too much power for a track. :D

With anything, there is always a learning curve. Running alone, you seem to "rediscover" every mistake made over the years by others. Which is the reason I'm documenting my "Lows" as well as the "Highs". Hopefully this will help someone else down the road avoid frustrating "Lows". And with the power available I expect to start finding driveline problems developing that I'll have to overcome, so there is always something.

While I'm waiting for parts, it's time to start on the Baja 5b SS kit. After all the teardown and reassembly practice, that should be fairly easy. And I have a completed one to refer to.

October is approaching fast!

Chief409

I forgot something. Waiting for parts Su**s! Thought the gears would be in the mailbox yesterday or today. NADA. Still need a couple parts for the SS build, too. Need to get these off the bench and in the dirt.

Good racing at Bristol tonight. Edwards is leading. GO FORD!

Ildy666

Chief409 said:
I forgot something. Waiting for parts Su**s! Thought the gears would be in the mailbox yesterday or today. NADA. Still need a couple parts for the SS build, too. Need to get these off the bench and in the dirt.Good racing at Bristol tonight. Edwards is leading. GO FORD!
+1 for the blue oval....

Chief409

Center diff gears were in the mail when I got home today. Pulled the original crown gear, as soon as I started I had a bad feeling. The screw was only finger tight. So were the other three. I looked at the face of the crown gear where it faces the mounting plate, and there is wear. I noticed the odd wear pattern of the gears when the DR was stock, so it wasn't all the mods causing this. The crown gear mounting screws weren't tightened during assembly. Loose isn't good in a gear set.

Anyway, back together, NO binding.

I had one shot to catch this, when I installed new brake pads but didn't think anything about it. So, when you change the brake pads, pull the diff apart and ensure the screws holding the crown gear are tight. And lube the bearings.

Chief409

Went running yesterday and was having a blast, until the bearing in the gearplate for the layshaft to the center diff failed. Made a mess of the idler pully for the 1:1 belt drive, but the belt didn't break.

What to do. Order the multi speed belt drive with the carbon fiber gear plate with oversize bearings of course from RCDAD! And aluminum center diff towers. OBR advertises their engines as "Overpowered", the Full Race Losi torque build 30.5 has quickly shown this weakness in the transmission, hope the new center diff towers will keep THAT area out of Trouble! I also have layshafts and bearings on order. :)

Hope the parts get in this week. I'm headed to a sand spot some time this weekend and have paddle tires ready to go.

Chief409

AH, the fun of running an "Over Powered" engine. Which is putting out close to three times the power of a stock engine.

Doesn't take long to find the weak points. In this case, the bearing on the shaft to the brake and center diff.

What it did to the RC Pit Stop 1:1 belt drive. Note the belt did not break.

I have the RC Pit Stop multi gear drive with the new carbon fiber gear plate and beefed up bearings now, plus new layshafts and the carbon fiber brake pads I've had for awhile. 'Cuz, the new stock brake pads I installed were turned into a rats nest when the layshaft went crooked. Tomorrow I'll put it back together.

BertR

Chief...You are running the OBR FMLR is that correct? How are the diff gears holding up with the monster power. I know its off subject but I am thinking about the Prostock 30.5 then upgrade it to the FM later.

Chief409

One power related problem with the driveline. I just finished installing the multi gear belt drive, it's stouter with bigger bearings then the 1:1 belt drive, after the bearing in the gear plate to the center diff self destructed at WOT I went heavier duty. Had to change the center diff gears, they wore because the crown gear mounting screws weren't tight, and bound up shortly after I had the Prostock upgraded to the Full Mod Losi. Also upgraded the center diff to aluminum towers. Driveline is smooth as silk now.

Dogbones, cups very little wear. Front/Rear diff's smooth and no noise.

Chief409

Replacement for the 1:1 belt drive. Bigger bearings, carbon fiber gear plate. .9:1 ratio.

Hope this will handle the strain of the "Overpowered" Full Mod Losi from OBR.

And Buttercup is near. October. Headed for sand tomorrow and going to let the beast loose. GoPro is charged, I'll put up a video.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online