• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

The "new" Redcat Steel Gears And Alum Plate!!

kryptonite

:Dran it for a short bit today.. its really smooth. only about 3/4 of a tank. i cracked my new shell, busted a front drive cup and tie rod. the gears didnt even get warm. most of the time i was in rwd on the pavement. not a reall good test today, but im giving myself a day off tomorrow to play with my toys and count my money. all seemed well with the gear train, but i really didnt put it throu the ringer yet.. i'll be more rested on friday

kryptonite

mooman007uk said:
Kryp put those MT tires on and get busy with some air time and throttle on landings and tarmac stoppies....only way to test that pin system.
thats what i plan on doing moo. lots of burn outs and on throttle landings. i only run the mt tires on this rig so its all set up. im sure we arent going to see any heat issue, but i am conserned about all the pins, since they have had problems in the past.. we'll see but it looks good so far

kryptonite

getting some good testing in today

i took the mt out for 2 hard tanks this morning. all pavement running. power slides doughnuts, slap wheelies and just high traction running. spun a rear drive shaft and blue 2 rear shock pistons and snapped an 8k clutch spring. so far, all is well. im not suprised tho. its almost back together and i'll be heading to the mx track if i can find it. i'll try to get the vids up sometime tomorrow.

kryptonite

IM DONE:mad:.. the new metal gear set-up worked great. no problems what so ever. i ran a total of maybe 4-5 tanks.. hard tanks! ive never brok'in this many parts in such a short peroid of time. there is no slop and everything is still tight. there isnt much else to say.. it works and works well. i did what i could to put the system to its limits and found i was just breaking whatever was closest to the ground. on-throttle pavement landings from maybe 4-5' simply spin drive shafts. pavement doughnuts will smoke a brand new clutch and pop clutch springs. super sik off-road jumps will push the shock piston to the bottom of the 6mm shaft. redlining the mill while in mid flight "WILL" spin you backwards far enough to snap aluminum body mounts. full throttle runs for 3/4 of a tank on super ruff ground has no effect on the gear pins. but the hs-645 will evntually get stuck at WOT.(thank you p.b kill switch).so with that said. im a wise rc spender. i think long and hard about any rc purchase that i make. getting to veiw and try this product assures me that i should not be concerned how much it is.. and thats becouse it freakin works!! the one thing that i hate is unrealable parts. something that always brakes with no real fix. this is by far the "realist" fix that redcat has come out with to date. i myself have spent maybe $80.00 on a/b/c/d gears and it has ended my day prematurly a few times. who knows how much this will run us, but i'll take 2..thanx robthanx darrin-so when can we get them?-how much?-is it going to be a full package, or gear plate/clutch/hubs and seperatly the gears?

rage tester #7.jpg

rage tester #4.jpg

rage tester #3.jpg

rage tester #6.jpg

rage tester #2.jpg

/monthly_2009_05/583c6058a39f7_ragetester7.jpg.5e2d9822bd43bc826f3f2a6bb981e71c.jpg

/monthly_2009_05/583c6058a4b66_ragetester4.jpg.577739033af537611198629a54e21ad7.jpg

/monthly_2009_05/583c6058a5bc4_ragetester3.jpg.5d181d971b5e771aadf5d6eccd867e47.jpg

/monthly_2009_05/583c6058bd5da_ragetester6.jpg.42533ab2161690f5d1f75144bc3b9be7.jpg

/monthly_2009_05/583c6058be602_ragetester2.jpg.967e9c8c45914aa373d8b73cf5b7c562.jpg

Clubin

Banned
Krypto, can you post a picture of the gears installed? I just want to see if the notch still needs to be in the side of the pan. Are you running the cover or not?

kryptonite

Clubin said:
Krypto, can you post a picture of the gears installed? I just want to see if the notch still needs to be in the side of the pan. Are you running the cover or not?
i did run a gear cover.a few times with out, but mainly covered. and the notch in the side of the chassis is not needed. the gears fit behind the chassis. metal gears 012.jpg

metal gears 007.jpg

/monthly_2009_05/583c6058bfb63_metalgears012.jpg.6dce72673c2d9aa7ec540e4028e9401c.jpg

/monthly_2009_05/583c6058c11a3_metalgears007.jpg.b6916d370d5a65c196ff0c40efad9f97.jpg

Clubin

Banned
kryptonite said:
i did run a gear cover.a few times with out, but mainly covered. and the notch in the side of the chassis is not needed. the gears fit behind the chassis.
That is kinda what I thought, I see a new chassis without the large cutout in the near future.

hamster huey

Is the D shaft secure now? Are bearings for the new plate same size as old plate? Myself and others have to tighten the D shafts set screws every tank or less because the shaft keeps getting loose. It would be nice to use the bearings we already have in the new plate too.

kryptonite

hamster huey said:
Is the D shaft secure now? Are bearings for the new plate same size as old plate? Myself and others have to tighten the D shafts set screws every tank or less because the shaft keeps getting loose. It would be nice to use the bearings we already have in the new plate too.
the bearings are the same size. i swapt mine out for the fasteddies after i was don testing it. i cant answer the "d-shaft" question. i never had that problem in either one of my rigs and it is just as cecure with the new plate. everything seemed good with the d-shaft

kryptonite

yolonda21 said:
krypt....you said you spun a rear drive shaft....what do you mean ? I'm not understanding ? ☻
it just twisted and busted in 2. i did those while jumping off the loading dock and just keeping on the throttle..

kryptonite

mooman007uk said:
Kryp I bet that diff cup wasn't tempered...time to get your plumbers torch out.
i broke 2. the first one was my foult has the front drive shaft wasnt probely centered, but the second twisted off inside the diff case. rob has the tempered ones for sale, so i'll just get them on my next order. im not allowed to play with fire or sharp objects

kryptonite

me too! i need two more full sets. should be hearing something sometime in the next week or 2

jigawatt

funny... and to think that my suggestion for steel gears before redcat sold these was out of the question! point proven with all these meltdowns.

hamster huey

Clubin does this look familiar? I think its your picture. It looks a lot like our new gear set. I never thought about MCD melting gears too but it is very similar to the Ramp so I gues it makes sense.

Vertigo012[1].jpg

/monthly_2009_05/583c6058ca406_Vertigo0121.jpg.2ef97b68dd36300880645b887d63bb1d.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts