• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Stock Engine Sputter??

Quester

Hello all! I'm requesting some help. I've got an HPI air filter on a 990 carb on a stock 30cc with a tuned pipe that you can get from Red Cat. I'm also running with a superbee and a failsafe with a stock radio system and stock battery. I was out bashing one day and I didn't have my body on and the truck came down on the back right corner and mangled my exhuast pipe. The pipe was bent pretty bad but it didn't come loose from the manifold nor was it completely closed off.

Within minutes after that I developed an engine sputter and finally it would just die. First thing I did was replace the plug but that had no effect. I took off the tuned pipe and replaced it with my stock can so i could eliminate that as a potential problem which also did not help. It was to the point where I couldn't hardly get it started and if I did it would idle for 10 to 15 seconds and then sputter and die no matter how much I tried to tune the carb. So a buddy of mine gave me a new 990 and last night I replaced the old 990 with the new one. I also flipped my gas tank around (to get ready to install a Dominator pipe once I figure out this engine sputter thing) and replaced my fuel line. I mixed a fresh batch of gas and filled the tank. It started right up on the third pull but the sputter remains. I'm including a video and I'm hoping someone will be able to tell me what it sounds like.

I'm wondering at this point is it possible that I may have cracked my exhaust manifold or engine block or something like that or if the header came loose from the block? Is that even possible? :confused:

[ame]

[/ame]

alfred e numan

sputter

Good idea to check your wiring. I have had the wires - 1 of them break in the servo where they are soldered to the printed circut board, its an e-x fix. This made my car sputter- do all kinds of stuff- even kick the kill switch in and out as the car was running. - Soldered wires tend to break @ the point they are connected. car, motorcycle- boat- stereo speakers- anything. If all else fails, this is a good place to look at.

G

Anything is possible, but what usually happens is you break a head bolt, causing an air leak and compression loss in the cylinder.

Ildy666

I broke a head bolt.after removing head there was no sign of head gasket .i don't think it ever had one on.couldn't see any sign of gasket no outline .no pieces.my motor was made either 9:01 Monday or 4:59 Friday..lol...so going to make paper gasket and try it out..

Deluge

It's not hard to crack a cylinder. One bad landing on the pipe is all it takes. I'd take the engine out and inspect it thoroughly.

Quester

That makes sense...I'm starting to wonder if my entire truck was made at 9:01 Monday or 4:59 Friday!! Assuming I broke a bolt and I have no gasket what type of gasket material should I be looking for to make my own.

Deluge

Try a small engine shop, they should have what you're looking for. I know AutoZone carries rolls of gasket paper, but I don't know if it'll hold up.

Quester

Deluge said:
It's not hard to crack a cylinder. One bad landing on the pipe is all it takes. I'd take the engine out and inspect it thoroughly.
So I need to check my wiring and head bolts and cylinder...what do I do if I cracked the cylinder. Do I start shopping for a new engine?

Quester

I checked Red Cats part site and they don't have parts. It's just do you want the 26cc or the 30cc HY engine...I'm not sure where to pick up replacement parts for that engine.

brad1161

i see mine is not the only one that back end bounces.lol Hope you fig it out. it seemed ok to me in vid

Deluge

Quester said:
I checked Red Cats part site and they don't have parts. It's just do you want the 26cc or the 30cc HY engine...I'm not sure where to pick up replacement parts for that engine.
Most CY and Zen parts will work. You can get parts from DDM or LSRC.

Quester

Thanks for all the information everyone! Due to a little to much blue locktite it's seems I have stripped my bolts that hold my engine on so I'm now trying to figure out how to get them out....ahhh but like my buddy says working on them is half the fun right!! TGIF!!!

alfred e numan

with a pointed dremel bit, grind an x into the bolts, heat the bolt heads with a small butane torch- use an impact wrench- do not use a hammer on the impact wrench- turn the bolts out by hand- you will get a good fit in the x you grind with the assorted bits that come with the impact tool- Replace the allens with phillips head bolts.- if these are the 2 bolts that are under the recoil starter side of the engine----

Deluge

Heat up the bolts and use a Torx to back them out. Use one that's slightly over sized and tap it in. Personally, I'd replace them with a Torx head bolt. Less chance of stripping them, again.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online