• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Stock baja wheels vs. Desperado

Clubin

Banned
Desperado rims and Excavator tires are way lighter than the stockers. I should have mine assembled and I will weigh them and measure them for comparison purposes. THe diameter and width is quite a bit less too.

Z

ZielkeRacing

Kaz the Minotaur said:
So do the Excavator and Bow-Tie tires only fit the Desperado wheels?
Yes they both fit the proline wheels and you can also buy either of those tires pre-mounted also. I have them on my 5T and with have the bow ties on my MT this week.

flint mann

I am running hpi on front and proline on the rear with hostile AT's. I ran them Sunday but changed back to mini mx because of the "track" conditions. They seem to work well I ran them about a half tank before I switched them out.

Z

ZielkeRacing

Yes, they make front and rears so for the rampage you need to use the rear wheels on all four corners unless you want narrow fronts. Also the aftermarket beadlocks will also fit on the desperado wheels also.

Z

ZielkeRacing

The Desperado with an Excavator tire (rear) weighs 1 pound 6.5 ounces and the stock MT tire and wheels weighs in at 2 pounds 4.5 ounces.

Z

ZielkeRacing

A rear HPI Superstar with a Hostile Nightmare Hard tire mounted and a aluminum beadlock weighs 1 pound 1.9 ounces

Clubin

Banned
ZielkeRacing said:
The Desperado with an Excavator tire (rear) weighs 1 pound 6.5 ounces and the stock MT tire and wheels weighs in at 2 pounds 4.5 ounces.
HOLY KRAP! that is a big difference. WOW I didn't think there would be that much of a diference.

DemonRC

Anybody have any idea what the stock TT wheel weighs? I know they are quite a bit lighter than the HPI Stars with Hostile Nightmares.

speedbaboon

Kaz the Minotaur said:
Is there any advantage to the Desperado Baja wheels over the stock ones? The stock ones are cheaper.
Desperado wheels are better overall: better and tougher material, they don't flex as easily as the stock HPI, the beadlocks are stronger and thicker, not to mention the longer screws that come with the wheels (pretty much guaranteed they won't go through the beadlocks when you run your car hard)

Any tyres that can fit the stock HPI can also fit the Desperado (i'm talking about the rear ones in this case). i have proline badlands and mx tyres on those wheels for my MT

speedbaboon

you wont regret !!!

i had MT tyres and switched to Despeardo and the set wheels ..... the whole truck just feels so much lighter (literally too !!), take off faster and turn much better

i don't even know if i'm gonna put the MT tyres back on again :D maybe after the threads on the baja tyres are done

mooman007uk

Banned
I got AT hostiles and desparados coming on the TT I bought and am going to shell out for another set of desparados with the excavators for my MT, I like my MT tires but want to try the excavators, they're nearly as tall and weigh alot less

Clubin

Banned
Lizardking said:
Mine Desperado/Excavators just came in.....today.. Nice, just what the truck should have come with.
I recieved my tires yesterday, and got them all screwed together today. Everything fit prefect, but there is not so much as a spare screw! I didn't loose any, just a observation. THey look good, I can't wait to try them.

Piranha2

Contributor
I would love to see the pics and hear your feedback.....I'm sure more than a few of us would appreciate your comments/insight before we take the "plunge".

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts