• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Steering Servo Questions

G

If you are talking about the futaba plugs (black), you can either replace the plug on the switch or get a new switch.

vpalace

Are you referring to the battery connection on the on/off switch? If so, that's an easy fix, we replace the junk switch. A new switch is about $6 from an hobby store.

BountyHunter03

Yeah that is what I was talking about, I will look for a new one then. I just want to get this thing working and not break so often lol.

vpalace

You can get one with a charging port, but if you're going to be running lipos, then you don't need it.

redthomas

I use a turnigy 1270 hv or something like that on my xsc. Even with the stock battery it yanks the bigger ruffriders I use. Its actually the same physical size unlike the hitecs being a little smaller

BountyHunter03

Well I have the Hitec 5765MH that I ordered a few months back. Seems it is dead, hooked it up last night and it wouldnt do anything. Going to send it in for repair and try it again after I loosen my servo savor a little. I got to figure out how to stop killing these servos, its getting old. I am also probably going to get the LIPO 7.4 battery and add another resistor to the LED, will take some time to get everything the way I want it but hopefully it will save me servos, lol.

Anyone know if the 6000Mah lipo is much smaller in size than then 7200? Will it fit better in the battery case on the XSC?

BountyHunter03

redthomas said:
I use a turnigy 1270 hv or something like that on my xsc. Even with the stock battery it yanks the bigger ruffriders I use. Its actually the same physical size unlike the hitecs being a little smaller
After comparing the specs on the turnigy 1270HV and the Hitec 5765 i would think that the turnigy has the better specs as far as having more torque, but the hitec wins in speed and since it is half the price of the turnigy it would seem like a very good option.

Would the more torque help not to strip the servo or would just loosening the servo saver help that?

Turnigy 1270

Specifications:

Operating Voltage: 6v ~ 7.2v

Weight: 170 grams

Dimensions: 59.5 x 29.5 x 54.3 mm

Torque @ 6.0V: 35 kg/cm

Torque @ 7.2V: 40 kg/cm

Speed @ 6.0V: 0.20 sec / 60° at no load

Speed @ 7.2V: 0.18 sec / 60° at no load

Gear: Metal gear / Dual ball bearing

Hitec

6.0V

Operating Speed: 0.16sec/60°

Output Torque: 277.74oz-in (20kg-cm)

Weight: 6.07oz (172.3g)

Size: 2.32 x 1.14 x 2.04" (59 x 29 x 52mm)

7.4V

Speed: 0.13sec/60°

Torque: 347.17oz-in (25kg-cm)

Last edited by a moderator:
G

I've read that they are hit and miss. I have one, but its still in the box.

Do you have you end points set? The servo should stop before you reach full steer on both sides.

BountyHunter03

I havent set it them on my remote but that will be something I look at now.

does anyone know if the stock throttle server, hexfly I think, in the trucks can handle the 7.4v?

redthomas

That he fly came in my back draft. Its a 4s buggy. It was good for a few days. Then one night at the track I noticed some smoke while I was taking the body off. You could see a beat red dot of light inside the servo, it was seconds from igniting and in that car its tight between the esc and the lipo battery. Another guy on the forum bought a mirage buggy that I'm sure had the he fly in it. He put in the battery and went outside and the whole car caught on fire after he seen smoke. And that was a brand new car..I wouldn't trust it, and I'm all for giving off the wall products a chance..

BountyHunter03

Thank you for the advice, I will have to get a HV throttle server then to make sure this doesn't happen. I was looking at the Hitec HS-7245MH. I know it is probably over kill for the throttle and brake but if im going to upgrade it i want something I am not going to have to worry about.

G

That is a micro size servo. It will be to small to bolt right in. The throttle/brake servo is a standard size servo.

BountyHunter03

ah overlooked that little detail. Well crude, is there a 10th scale server that can handle the 7.4v? What does everyone else use with the killer bee lipo? I ordered the 6000mah from killer bee yesterady.

Found the HS-5685MH- it looks a little longer in height than the stock one but says its 1/10th application and not a bad price. any thoughts on this one.

BountyHunter03

Just wanted to post my close out on this thread and what I have decided to do.

Main Issue: Steering servos continue to strip no matter what I do. Went through 2 stock ones and a Hitec 5765 all on 6v.

Resolution: I have ordered a Killer bee 2s 6000mah, a Hitec 5685 and sent off my Hitec 5765 to get repaired. I have decided to move to the 2s to get the 7.4 volts as RCDAD and others have recommend on here as it is a vast improvement over the 6v. I have decided to upgrade my throttle servo since I wasn't sure if it could handle the 7.4 volts. so better safe than sorry. I am also going to check the servo saver and make sure its not to tight and check my end points on both the steering and the throttle.

Notes: I am going to take some time to rewire my LED/Killswitch,custom install, to make sure the LED wont blow on the 7.4 volts and to clean things up a little bit. I also have some other work to do on the truck to make sure it is in good shape.

I will update again if I have any more issues and my findings to let everyone know how it worked out for me. Thanks to everyone for your help and comments and I hope this helps someone else.

Sources: Member comments- Also found this post http://www.redcatrampageforum.com/showthread.php?t=11746&highlight=throttle+servo

which RCDAD says what he uses on his truck as far as servos.

redthomas

I think my hi tech is the 645mg.I can take a second look, but its been good. I'd look into a metal gear for the simple fact that it runs your brakes. You don't want to be in throttle and the gear get spun around.

G

BountyHunter03 said:
ah overlooked that little detail. Well crude, is there a 10th scale server that can handle the 7.4v? What does everyone else use with the killer bee lipo? I ordered the 6000mah from killer bee yesterady.Found the HS-5685MH- it looks a little longer in height than the stock one but says its 1/10th application and not a bad price. any thoughts on this one.
I run the 5685. It's a great servo. No problems to report.

RCDAD said:
Most LEDs can handle 12v. I run the Killer RC lipos. You may need to trim the side tabs in the box. Do that and they fit great.

Thanks for the info brother!

I am about to order one of them. What charger do you recommend for them?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts