• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Starting issues 1:5 rc

Phill

JSoto777 said:
Ok so since mine isn't starting what do u suggest I do first. Settings are factory, should I richer or lean and which needle? Could wrong settings on the idle screw cause starting issues?? How many pulls before I flood? How long do I wait in between pulls. Another thing, I forgot to mention. I'm thinking it could be just a ratio or gas or oil problem. I remember when I first got the car it didn't a start with a 25:1 ratio. I finally decided to use some of my brother in laws gas that allready was mixed for a weed waker. And it started first pull.

I then bought new oils and unleaded gas I think 89 octane and it did not work. The oil was a semi synthetic high performance Lucas 2 cycle oil.

So I then put my brother in laws gas in and still nothing. I then changed the hoses and wala! It started ran it one full tank then put the rest of the fuel my brother in law had( which filled tank half way) when I was close to runing out that tank I added my new mix that was 40:1 with my oil to see if it would work. And when I killed the engine to attempt, nothing :(

I don't know exactly what oil he had but he said it was synthetic. I don't know what ratio either. He just mentioned it was a small Bottle to a gallon of gas.
Factory settings are Low 1.25 turns High is 1.5

At 40:1 your engine isn't getting much lubrication

Use a higher octane fuel and mix it 25:1

Before you do anything else pull the plug and see what colour it is

You may have done damage by running without enough oil especially in a new engine.

Check those head bolts too - if they're loose your piston could be scored from rubbing against the cylinder walls

Last edited by a moderator:
G

The factory recommends 25:1. A lot of folks run 32:1 with out problems. I would not recommend less oil than 32:1. Just not enough lubrication.

JSoto777

Ok I've got her started!!!!

I turned in the hsn and lsn all the way in and backed them out only about half turn. Choked it pulled starter slow a couple times. Took choke off and it started first pull.

I then adjust carb settings accordingly while running.

Does this mean I need a new carb?

andyken

Is this a rig you bought new?

If the needle screws were over tightened it can mess them up.

I got mine used and the stock carb was barely about 3/4 out.

I went with a 990, good carb....no choke tho.

I had to learn some tricks to get her started.

Phill

990 is a good carb.

I find it starts easy if you prime the bulb then give it 2 slow pulls then one good pull and it starts straight up

Sometimes it will start on the slow pull

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts