• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Starting issues 1:5 rc

JSoto777

rcgasser said:
You said you were having problems with the stop button did you fix that? Try start with the button removed if it starts then you know that is the problem.
I took button out and it still doesn't start

BertR

Try reseting your coil to the flywheel...take a business card and roll it between the magnet and coil, press them together and retighten the coil before you take out the card.. I know you said it has spark but it may not be enuff to get proper fire. It is worth a shot because simple things can become the big pain in the rear.

RampageHopUps

If he is getting a good spark, its not the coil or the button. Its the gas mixture.

Where do you live?

JSoto777

RampageHopUps said:
If he is getting a good spark, its not the coil or the button. Its the gas mixture.Where do you live?
My mixture rite now is 50:1

I mixed up a new batch at 28:1 gonna try this and see how it works. I'm using regular unleaded gas with high performance Lucas semi synthetic 2-cycle oil

JSoto777

I tried the 28:1 mixture and did not work at all.

I did however try the mixture on a weed eater and it started right up.

I did notice while pumping the bulb on the carb for the rc, that the gas was flowing rather slow to the carb. I had to pump like 10 times. Also there were bubles and I pumped till those were out of inlet tube. There was still bubles in the outgoing tube however.

Is it possible to over prime or under prime??

The weed eater took only 3 pumps and it was full

JSoto777

BertR said:
Try reseting your coil to the flywheel...take a business card and roll it between the magnet and coil, press them together and retighten the coil before you take out the card.. I know you said it has spark but it may not be enuff to get proper fire. It is worth a shot because simple things can become the big pain in the rear.
Cool to flywheel??? Where is this located?

laxbro19

JSoto777 said:
Cool to flywheel??? Where is this located?
If you take the fan cover off you will see a black thing above the flywheel. That is the coil. The gap between the flywheel and coil should be the width of a business card. Also you might want to try a 25:1 fuel mixture and try using premium gas

JSoto777

laxbro19 said:
If you take the fan cover off you will see a black thing above the flywheel. That is the coil. The gap between the flywheel and coil should be the width of a business card. Also you might want to try a 25:1 fuel mixture and try using premium gas
Ok I will try this Tomorro.

And by premium gas, what octane do u mean? 91?

G

Check to see if your plug is wet. If it is you have flooded it.

Don't pull it more than a few times with the choke on, even if you don't get a pop.

Sergio

Do you have a killswich and if yes witch one I have the ramtech on my xb and I could not get it started so after sweating bullets and a hand full of blisters I shut the reciver off and it started I don't know if that's normal or what but that's how mine is. If I shut the control it kills the engine I don't know if the killer bee killswitch works the same but if you have a ramtech killswich you can try that too cause as far as I know everything has to be on but like I said mine when I have the reciver on it won't start just my 2 cents

JSoto777

Sergio said:
Do you have a killswich and if yes witch one I have the ramtech on my xb and I could not get it started so after sweating bullets and a hand full of blisters I shut the reciver off and it started I don't know if that's normal or what but that's how mine is. If I shut the control it kills the engine I don't know if the killer bee killswitch works the same but if you have a ramtech killswich you can try that too cause as far as I know everything has to be on but like I said mine when I have the reciver on it won't start just my 2 cents
I will try this Tomorro. However it has started before and the receiver was on. But I will give it a try just to knock that off the list. Ha

By kill switch do u mean the kill engine button on the engine? Or the fail safe that is plugged into a Channel?

Sergio

No I think the failsafe is different the killswitch shuts down the engine if you lose signal or your battery dies or if your servo fails you shut your radio and that kills your engine if you don't have one nevermind I had my share of my 2 redcats not starting I know how it feels hope you can fix it soon

G

Not to get off topic but......

That fail safe needs to hit the trash.... The receiver has a built in failsafe. You really need to be running a remote kill switch.

If you are getting spark your issue is not electronic.

JSoto777

RCDAD said:
Not to get off topic but......That fail safe needs to hit the trash.... The receiver has a built in failsafe. You really need to be running a remote kill switch.

If you are getting spark your issue is not electronic.

Ok so electronics is out of the picture.

So what else do you think it could be? Just a fuel problem?

G

That only leaves the fuel/air...

Air leaks can cause bad running issues.

-Check to make sure the two head bolts are tight.

-Check to make sure the carb bolts are tight.

Is this a new vehicle?

If no the the plastic intakes are prone to warping which can cause an air leak.

You first stated that if did run but had high rpms, enough to engage the clutch. High rpms can be caused from a lean condition. Either carb setting or an air leak can cause you to be lean.

JSoto777

RCDAD said:
That only leaves the fuel/air...Air leaks can cause bad running issues.

-Check to make sure the two head bolts are tight.

-Check to make sure the carb bolts are tight.

Is this a new vehicle?

If no the the plastic intakes are prone to warping which can cause an air leak.

You first stated that if did run but had high rpms, enough to engage the clutch. High rpms can be caused from a lean condition. Either carb setting or an air leak can cause you to be lean.

Where are the head bolts? I'm pretty sure I tightened them already but just in case, I might have overlooked them. Also yes this is a new vehicle. Off bolts are not tight I'll tighten them and see what happens. If it still does nor start then I will adjust my lsn correct? Ccw to make it richer

Can the settings in the carb really cause this much of a headache tho??

Phill

JSoto777 said:
Where are the head bolts? I'm pretty sure I tightened them already but just in case, I might have overlooked them. Also yes this is a new vehicle. Off bolts are not tight I'll tighten them and see what happens. If it still does nor start then I will adjust my lsn correct? Ccw to make it richerCan the settings in the carb really cause this much of a headache tho??
To get to the head bolts you need to take the plastic cover off the top of the motor and you'll see 2 holes in the cooling fins.You'll need a long allen key to reach the bolts.

Yep the needles can cause all the probs.

You need to adjust them in very small increments - a little can make a big difference.

JSoto777

Phill said:
To get to the head bolts you need to take the plastic cover off the top of the motor and you'll see 2 holes in the cooling fins.You'll need a long allen key to reach the bolts.Yep the needles can cause all the probs.

You need to adjust them in very small increments - a little can make a big difference.
Ok so since mine isn't starting what do u suggest I do first. Settings are factory, should I richer or lean and which needle? Could wrong settings on the idle screw cause starting issues?? How many pulls before I flood? How long do I wait in between pulls.

Another thing, I forgot to mention. I'm thinking it could be just a ratio or gas or oil problem. I remember when I first got the car it didn't a start with a 25:1 ratio. I finally decided to use some of my brother in laws gas that allready was mixed for a weed waker. And it started first pull.

I then bought new oils and unleaded gas I think 89 octane and it did not work. The oil was a semi synthetic high performance Lucas 2 cycle oil.

So I then put my brother in laws gas in and still nothing. I then changed the hoses and wala! It started ran it one full tank then put the rest of the fuel my brother in law had( which filled tank half way) when I was close to runing out that tank I added my new mix that was 40:1 with my oil to see if it would work. And when I killed the engine to attempt, nothing :(

I don't know exactly what oil he had but he said it was synthetic. I don't know what ratio either. He just mentioned it was a small Bottle to a gallon of gas.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts