• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

starting for the first time

cordy

Turn the needles out to richen ,turn the needles in to lean it.Factory settings 1 1/4 and 1 1/2.

ocy9

so is one extra full turn for both needles enough or is it too rich for breaking the engine in? i.e. 2 1/4 and 2 1/2?

also what's the factory setting for idle?

cordy

Turn the needles in 1/16 incraments.You will flood the engine with those settings and it will never start. The idle screw is set by you. You could use your throttle trim to bring the idle up or down.

G

ocy9 said:
got it. i read that when starting the engine for the first time, it's a good idea to let it run rich when it's breaking in. how do i adjust between lean and rich?
Those base settings are for break-in. They are a rich setting.

G

ocy9 said:
so is one extra full turn for both needles enough or is it too rich for breaking the engine in? i.e. 2 1/4 and 2 1/2?also what's the factory setting for idle?
It would never run.

ocy9

god damnit, i messed up.

i followed rcdad's instructions on the first page up to the point where he told me to close the choke, pull twice and then open it to start... except that i didn't read after that and ended up pulling too many times with the choke closed (i guess i was too excited).

i googled on what a choke is, and freaked when i found out. i think i've flooded the engine with too much gas, and now it won't start. anything i can do here?

cordy

take the plug out,turn it upside down pull the cord a couple of times to clear the cylinder.Then put the plug back in and start it.

ocy9

that worked, thanks everyone for helping me get it started.

this thing is NOT neighbourhood friendly. so much noise and smoke, lol. i'm going to have to find a secluded spot to break it in.

ocy9

RCDAD said:
It's more like you got to break in the neighbors. :D
haha, yup. :p

one of the guys in my street has an annoying little dog that i look forward to scaring, though.

blak__jak

rcdad's right you've got to get the neighbors in to it too. it's funny how fast our gassers will attract a crowd then the next thing you know one of your neighbors will have one too and you'll have some backup and bashing buddy.

ocy9

alright, so i let it idle through 416 cc of gas. i hope that broke the engine in so i can let it rip now. i hate having all that black unburnt fuel spewing out the exhaust when running it rich.

oh, and something funny happened when i was showing the redcat to a few of my friends. the battery died and the throttle got stuck in high. we barely managed to catch the thing, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

ocy9

i have the kill switch on order.

i think i'm ready to start leaning it out a little, but just to be clear, turning the needles in leans and turning them out richens, correct?

also when i'm leaning it out, should i turn both needles by the same amount? e.g. from factory setting, perhaps 1/8th of a turn inwards on both needles?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts