• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

starting for the first time

ocy9

i'm going to start my XB for the very first time tonight. i just got back after buying a gallon of 87 octane and lucas semi-synthetic oil. is the lucas stuff fine for breaking the engine in and after? here's the exact product: http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products.sd?catid=17&iid=290&loc=show

also, please let me know what else i need to do before starting up the engine for the first time. this is my first non-electric and i don't want to mess anything up.

all i've done so far is install the battery pack and oil the air filter.

G

Mix your oil to fuel at about 5oz to a gallon of gas (25:1) Do this regardless of what the oil says.

Check you tuning needles on the carb. They don't always come set correctly.

You will turn them in just until they stop. Don't tighten them or you will damage them.

Back out the H needle 1.5 turns

Back out the L needle 1.25 turn

Pump the primer bulb to purge all the air out of the fuel lines. A good 5 times or so.

Close the choke and give it a pull or two. You should hear it pop. If you don't thats ok.

Open the choke and give it a few more pulls. It should start right up.

Tip: Pull the pull start cord slowly to take out the slack then a quick pull. That will add life to the pull starter.

Good luck and have fun!

Stygian

Banned
RCDAD said:
Mix your oil to fuel at about 5oz to a gallon of gas (25:1) Do this regardless of what the oil says.Check you tuning needles on the carb. They don't always come set correctly.

You will turn them in just until they stop. Don't tighten them or you will damage them.

Back out the H needle 1.5 turns

Back out the L needle 1.25 turn

Pump the primer bulb to purge all the air out of the fuel lines. A good 5 times or so.

Close the choke and give it a pull or two. You should hear it pop. If you don't thats ok.

Open the choke and give it a few more pulls. It should start right up.

Tip: Pull the pull start cord slowly to take out the slack then a quick pull. That will add life to the pull starter.

Good luck and have fun!
5oz for 1 gallon is actually 24:1 :p sorry just had to be a smart ass

G

Stygian said:
I'll go ahead and be one too, because 5oz is actually 25.6:1 :p

mastergamr

hmmm I thot 87 octane was to low i use 94 octane??? and i mix it at 1 liter to 40 ml of oil hope im doing it right lol

Stygian

Banned
LOL, isn't it less oil for higher the ratio, that's what the back of the oil I have says at least, or is that that incorrect?

Stygian

Banned
mastergamr said:
hmmm I thot 87 octane was to low i use 94 octane??? and i mix it at 1 liter to 40 ml of oil hope im doing it right lol
That is what I read to that a lot of people on here were using the 94 octane I mean what's .20cents ya know. That's why I dumped the gas I had out and went and got a gallon of the 94.

ocy9

thanks for the tips you smart asses. :p

any issues with the lucas semi-synthetic i'm going to be using?

G

mastergamr said:
You are correct on the ratio. That's 25:1

The 87 octane is fine for the stock motor.

Stygian

Banned
ocy9 said:
thanks for the tips you smart asses. :p any issues with the lucas semi-synthetic i'm going to be using?
From what a few of the motorcycle shops here said any 2cycle oil will work but of course the more expensive and synthetic oil will run better.

mastergamr

thats what i use im mine lucas semi-synthetic some say not to for brake in cuz it take longer for rings to seat

G

Stygian said:
Weird, because the back of my oil shows 5oz being 24:1.
1 US gallon = 128 fl oz.

128/5 = 25.6

128/5.12 = 25

The label is either a misprint or an approximation. :D

Stygian

Banned
RCDAD said:
1 US gallon = 128 fl oz.128/5 = 25.6

128/5.12 = 25

The label is either a misprint or an approximation. :D
hhmm stupid label I'm going to call the castrol up and demand them to pay for a new engine since they had wrong info on their labels lol.

TheCount

Stygian said:
I'll make it easy for u all.

200ml to 5 liters = 25:1. We get oil in 200ml bottles here in Aus & i just buy exactly 5 liters of petrol. BANG chuck the bottle into my fuel.

:p

Last edited by a moderator:

cordy

Put them in a plastic bag, put some filter oil in the bag and massage the bag to saturate the foam with oil. This keeps your hands clean.Put the filter back on,and you can use panty hose to go over the filter,this acts as a cheap pre filter. Hold the panty hose on with rubber bands. Hope this helps.

G

Don't forget to lay it on a paper towel when you pull it out of the bag. It should not be dripping. If you use an outerwear filter over it you don't want that to get oily or it will just plug with dust.

ocy9

got it. i read that when starting the engine for the first time, it's a good idea to let it run rich when it's breaking in. how do i adjust between lean and rich?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts