• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Spark plug tuning 8-9-12

ChuenouXiao

Here's more detail on my experience... sorry for the noobness :D but appreciate it....

when elevated.... I WOT my engine and after 2 second of WOT... the engine bounces like i said previously.... I'm still trying to figure out if it was too rich or too lean. I guess I have to have someone hold the XB while I turn the needle until I get a good pitch from the HSN and then rich it a little for safety :D ?

Deluge

Richen it and see what happens. You can't hurt the engine by running rich, but you can kill it in a few seconds if you run too lean. If it doesn't improve when you richen it, then you can lean it out a bit.

rev9fan1

im actually glad he is asking these questions cause i have the same ones....i know what he is talking about bouncing off the rev limiter, cause i had that too if its doing that and smoke is coming out its rich. my question is though do you tune it lean just past the point it spits or do u let it spit a tiny bit at the end?

G

Just remember its always safer to be on the rich side. When your leaning just keep an eye on that plug color and you will be fine.

G

I prefer to do it under load. Honestly I have never done a plug check on the stand. I have done tuning by ear this way and then hit the dirt or pavement to do some WOT runs. I'm sure others will chime in.

rev9fan1

Yea because I've noticed that when I do a high speed run its hard for me to immediately grab the car and turn it off as I don't have a 3rd channel to activate the super bee

Deluge

rev9fan1 said:
im actually glad he is asking these questions cause i have the same ones....i know what he is talking about bouncing off the rev limiter, cause i had that too if its doing that and smoke is coming out its rich. my question is though do you tune it lean just past the point it spits or do u let it spit a tiny bit at the end?
Tune by plug color. Don't guess, it'll only cause problems.

Deluge

rev9fan1 said:
Yea because I've noticed that when I do a high speed run its hard for me to immediately grab the car and turn it off as I don't have a 3rd channel to activate the super bee
Just drive it back towards you and turn off the transmitter. Don't stand directly in front of it, obviously! :D

ChuenouXiao

8-29-12 Today's plug shot

Today's run.... it seems like the plug is a lot more distinctive regarding the mocha color. The only concern I have is I still can't seem to find the perfect HSN setting (or don't trust if the current HSN setting is the result of this more distinctive mocha color). I have richen the HSN to where it doesn't do the rev bouncing no more but what I notice is my HSN looks like its sticking out more when comparing to the LSN. Its sticking out... doesn't look right guys.... so I set it back to where I think is a good setting. I think riching the HSN won't solve the bouncing completely cause it seems to bounce even when the HSN looks like its going to pop out... Maybe its bouncing is because of the drive train and the unbalance wheels and shocks? After messing with my HSN back and forth... this is how my plug looks like in the end..... :( Tuning is not easy especially when you have to take out your plug... trying not to cross thread your head's thread under the high heat. My other question is..... how would you know if your HSN is set right when your car is moving back and forth at 40 to 45mph? You can't really hear it too :D unless you truly know what to listen for. I wish someone can post a video of how their car sound when a HSN is rich or lean.... that would be nice.... I guess what I'm saying is I'm kinda lost... :(

Last edited by a moderator:

ChuenouXiao

RCDAD said:
That plug looks pretty good to me.
Its getting a bit better Rcdad.... but not like my other plug before my engine failed. That other plug had a distinctive mocha color.... its like BAM!! I'm mocha!!! LOL :D but this new plug I'm using looks a bit on the lean side but I wouldn't say its lean... its close to it but working toward pefection. I'm going to tune my HSN back to default.... which is 1 5/8. Then run through the whole tank and pull the plug to check the color :D

G

ChuenouXiao said:
Its getting a bit better Rcdad.... but not like my other plug before my engine failed. That other plug had a distinctive mocha color.... its like BAM!! I'm mocha!!! LOL :D but this new plug I'm using looks a bit on the lean side but I wouldn't say its lean... its close to it but working toward pefection. I'm going to tune my HSN back to default.... which is 1 5/8. Then run through the whole tank and pull the plug to check the color :D
If you are shooting for perfection, I'ld start with a clean plug. If your adding to what's already on the plug it won't be as accurate.

ChuenouXiao

Ok... here is the run today 8-30-12

Please note I have rear pipe so it may sound a bit high pitch comparing to the side pipe :D

Notice when my XB picks up from still... there's so much torque that the wheels are bouncing due to the shocks being to soft? I think my LSN is perfect right now. I also think my engine is slightly lean on the HSN (It's in the default setting recommended by OBR). Watch the whole video to see what I'm experiencing... and tell me what you think.... In the video I try to show you guys everything (From engine idle to high speed run to driving in front of the camera LOL).... let me know guys....

[ame]

[/ame]Here's the plug pic after the end of the day

I guess next time I run I'm going to rich it 1/8 of a turn and see if the color gets more brown :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts