• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Spark plug tuning 8-9-12

Deluge

ChuenouXiao said:
Oh boy... I think I foul my plug. My fairly new plug that came with my top end :D I was running it a couple hours ago... was going to lean it a bit but wanted engine to warm up. It doesn't seem like I was that rich anyways cause my car have so much torque and it screams at WOT. After a couple run back and forth... my engine dies. Can't start her no more. I got home, tested a old plug that I know was good and she fired up on the first pull. Wow... running rich really can fowl your plug? How long does it take to fowl it? Fowl mean I can't use it no more huh? Can I clean it and re-use it? My engine was screaming too...
It'll foul your plug if it's really rich. If it's a hair rich, it'll be fine. Also, if you let the engine idle for long time, it'll foul plugs. I've saved a few plugs with a wire brush and some carb cleaner. But that was when I didn't have a new plug with me.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChuenouXiao

Deluge said:
It'll foul you're plug if it's really rich. If it's a hair rich, it'll be fine. Also, if you let the engine idle for long time, it'll foul plugs. I've saved a few plugs with a wire brush and some carb cleaner. But that was when I didn't have a new plug with me.
I've ran my XB today too :D I lean the HSN about half an hour and notice that the plug is kinda silver (From default needle setting). Seems a bit lean... I guess I will mess with it until I get it right. Planning to just rich the LSN, about instead half an hour while keeping the HSN at a half and hour lean from default setting for HSN. Hopefully this will help with perfecting a brown color on my plug :D

Deluge

Dude your tuning technique is all over the place. Lol. The LSN doesn't effect plug color. It's better to get the HSN tuned, then move on to the LSN. I prefer a more methodical approach, though.

Let us know how it goes!

G

ChuenouXiao said:
I've ran my XB today too :D I lean the HSN about half an hour and notice that the plug is kinda silver (From default needle setting). Seems a bit lean... I guess I will mess with it until I get it right. Planning to just rich the LSN, about instead half an hour while keeping the HSN at a half and hour lean from default setting for HSN. Hopefully this will help with perfecting a brown color on my plug :D
I thought you said your plug looked a little wet at the base settings.?

Don't check your plug after any extended idling. Just shut her down after a WOT run. If it has idled for awhile the plug will look like your rich.

I start at the base settings and lean in small increments to insure I don't lean too far.

ChuenouXiao

Deluge said:
Dude your tuning technique is all over the place. Lol. The LSN doesn't effect plug color. It's better to get the HSN tuned, then move on to the LSN. I prefer a more methodical approach, though.Let us know how it goes!
Ok, sorry Im such a idiot LOL! Will do as you said Deluge, appreciate it :D

I bought some parts to upgrade my XB into aluminum guys... my steering servo aluminum mount, telfon gasket, and a couple lay shaft for backup and other small stuff. Spent about $80 on small stuff.... man it sure adds up :D

ChuenouXiao

RCDAD said:
I thought you said your plug looked a little wet at the base settings.?Don't check your plug after any extended idling. Just shut her down after a WOT run. If it has idled for awhile the plug will look like your rich.

I start at the base settings and lean in small increments to insure I don't lean too far.
OK, got the bigger picture now :D Will do Rcdad... appreciate it :D

G

ChuenouXiao said:
I bought some parts to upgrade my XB into aluminum guys... my steering servo aluminum mount, telfon gasket, and a couple lay shaft for backup :D plus other small stuff :D
desismileys_6666.gif Sweet!

G

ChuenouXiao said:
OK, got the bigger picture now :D Will do Rcdad... appreciate it :D
You'll get it. Once you've done it a few times it's like riding a bike. ;)

Deluge

ChuenouXiao said:
Ok, sorry Im such a idiot LOL! Will do as you said Deluge, appreciate it :D I bought some parts to upgrade my XB into aluminum guys... my steering servo aluminum mount, telfon gasket, and a couple lay shaft for backup and other small stuff. Spent about $80 on small stuff.... man it sure adds up :D
Nah, I didn't mean it like that! I was just bustin' your chops. :D

Like I said, I prefer a more methodical technique. Trying to tune two needles at once is no good for me. :D

ChuenouXiao

It looks nice :D

Hopefully it doesn't interfere with my performance :D especially as it clogs up? :D It sure does make my car look a bit more sophisticated LOL :D

This was a night shot guys... with my LED flash light :D

Deluge

ChuenouXiao said:
Hopefully it doesn't interfere with my performance :D especially as it clogs up? :D It sure does make my car look a bit more sophisticated LOL :D This was a night shot guys... with my LED flash light :D
Nah, it won't clog it up. You can clean that filter, as well. Just flush it from the fine mesh end.

G

ChuenouXiao said:
Hopefully it doesn't interfere with my performance :D especially as it clogs up? :D It sure does make my car look a bit more sophisticated LOL This was a night shot guys... with my LED flash light
Isn't that what is supposed to do, clog? :)

If it didn't you have a messed up carb. :rolleyes:

alfred e numan

There is a fine mesh screen in the carb body. Its located underneath the fuel pump side of the carb- side the carb with the single screw. underneath the gasket and fuel pump diaphram- little guys removeable, just be careful with the air compressor- I checked out a 990 one time, this xb had a filter something like the clear 2 stage in the photo. The built in carbs fine mesh filter was somewhat clogged. It was not dirt or trail trash- it was carbon! I had been running rich- I fail to see how carbon got in there- but shure enough, thats what it was- I had been running 927 @ 25-1, we all know what that stuff does to to piston dome-exhaust port if too rich-

G

Deluge said:
Not messed up, just dirty. They're easy to rebuild, though.
For $40 I prefer to just slap on a new one. ;)

Deluge

alfred e numan said:
There is a fine mesh screen in the carb body. Its located underneath the fuel pump side of the carb- side the carb with the single screw. underneath the gasket and fuel pump diaphram- little guys removeable, just be careful with the air compressor- I checked out a 990 one time, this xb had a filter something like the clear 2 stage in the photo. The built in carbs fine mesh filter was somewhat clogged. It was not dirt or trail trash- it was carbon! I had been running rich- I fail to see how carbon got in there- but shure enough, thats what it was- I had been running 927 @ 25-1, we all know what that stuff does to to piston dome-exhaust port if too rich-
Yep! I just replace that screen every time I rebuild a carb.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts