• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Shock shaft solutions

AlvaSpeed

5 bent shock shafts in one day. 3 on a MT 2 on a TT.

Is there any solution yet?

What is the BEST way to tackle the problem?

upgrade original shocks?

buy other brand of shocks?

kryptonite

oh man alva.. were running the hpi hd shafts the fit isnt perfect, but many of us are running it with no problems. all you need is 2 sets of hpi 6mm front shafts and 2 sets of hpi hd lower shock caps. the glitches come in the form of the stock piston. its fits fine, but needs to be shimmed. our piston is thinner then hpi piston, so the lock nut doesn't tighten down all the way, just a few small washers.

the front shock shafts bottom out on the shock cap. not a problem on the tt, but the mt does(wheel size).. its fixed with eather hpi shock body or rear redcat shock body mounted up front. the other problem is with the lower shaft end. its shorter the stock recats, so when you put the (lower)spring retainer on, it hits the suspension arm cousing the spring to rub on the shock body. its easly fixed with a spacer on the bottom or by dremeling out a small "U" shape in the arm. its not a problem with alloy arms. there is a few threads about the hpi's if you use the search key. you can do all 4 shocks for $62.00 us; i'll get you the part numbers.

hamster huey

Generally you can buy 4 brand new HPI front shocks on Ebay for $125 shipped with extras. Then limit the the droop with either straps or shock limiters (your preference). I like the fronts with 1" and the rears with .5" inch droop if I remember correct. If you want less than 1+5 you can always "dish out" slightly around the shock mount on the arm for clearance. The hpi shafts are 6mm and are cheaply rebuildable.

AlvaSpeed

Hamster,

So in other words, I can put HPI Baja front shocks on all 4 corners!!! (MT and TT).

By droop you mean the shock extension?

Kriptonite,

Let me know part numbers, I will try that first since we already have the Rampage shocks.

Thanks........

csp1971

Contributor
I bought the following per catchasers recommendations for mine, I will be assembling them tonight hopefully:

Front Baja shock bodies for 10 bucks from Pythonmotorsports

Then two of these VVC shock kits: http://www.hopmeuprc.com/HPI-HPIC9813-87563-SHOCK-p7129938.html

Then move the rear shocks from the Rampage to the front and put the Baja bodies in the rear.

Then I'm doing this little mod as well:

http://www.redcatrampageforum.com/showpost.php?p=13503&postcount=1

AlvaSpeed

I have the Redcat piggybag shocks, so I rather modify them with a 6mm shaft if possible.

My other friends think the same about their OEM shocks.

Kryptonite,

Hurry up with those part numbers!!!!!!!

kryptonite

AlvaSpeed

Thanks.

I am going to order those parts right away.

What shock oil to use? HPI Baja or silicone? what weight?

Piranha2

Contributor
Alva, try this....it will save you alot of time and you'll get more answers right away.

RRF search.jpg

/monthly_2009_06/583c60595b900_RRFsearch.jpg.099f951ed5d2683337242c71025a3150.jpg

AlvaSpeed

I did the "search thing".

But I am not afraid to ask.

Also when you search you will find (sometimes) old answers when you really are looking for are the "latest" answers. You know what I mean.

I already ordered the parts suggested by Kryptonite.

Thanks guys.........

cable97526

Just as a note if you buy the shocks bottoms complete with retainers "pre" built from HPI they work a little better and don't seem to leak as badly. I used the 6mm shafts and lower caps before and assembled them and they always leaked so this last time I purchased the complete assembled lower shock assembly and no problems since. Plus it saves time and it's cheap.

http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.656/.f

media.nl?id=744&c=885035&h=12c7ac469c2f3e5379f7.jpg

AlvaSpeed

That`s what I just ordered.

Thanks.

The last thing I need to be sure of is what oil to put in the shocks.

AlvaSpeed

I just got the parts.

Do I just bolt the HPI cartridge to the Redcat shock`s body and fill with oil?

cable97526

I think its a little light but it all depends on were you run lighter oils are for bumpier situations while heavier is for less bumpy and more controlled.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts