• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Rod roll cage vs tubing roll cage

JSoto777

I want to build a metal roll cage for my chimera. I'm thinking of doing 3/8 aluminum. I just don't know if I should go with rod or tubing.

I want thins to be very strong

Any suggestions??

Ol' fart

my 2 cents

With aluminum you should go with rod. It is stronger but the main reason is the welder will have a hard time welding the thin wall without melting threw.

Consider 4130 steel tubing, MUCH stronger and your welder will have no problems welding it, in fact, I'm sure he would prefer steel over aluminum.

JSoto777

Ol said:
With aluminum you should go with rod. It is stronger but the main reason is the welder will have a hard time welding the thin wall without melting threw. Consider 4130 steel tubing, MUCH stronger and your welder will have no problems welding it, in fact, I'm sure he would prefer steel over aluminum.
How heavy is the steel compared to the alluminum?

Where can I get this steel tubing?

Ol' fart

It's not cheap so you'll want to do some tests before you start bending and welding. Try making the cage out of wood first. You can get 3/8th rods cheap.

Use a hot glue gun to join the dowels. Once you have it looking like you want it to measure all the length's to determine how much tubing you'll need.

Ildy666

Ol said:
It's not cheap so you'll want to do some tests before you start bending and welding. Try making the cage out of wood first. You can get 3/8th rods cheap. Use a hot glue gun to join the dowels. Once you have it looking like you want it to measure all the length's to determine how much tubing you'll need.
Good idea i might have to build one....

G

Very true.

4130 is very rigid and is a bit more difficult to bend.

JSoto777

Ol said:
It's not cheap so you'll want to do some tests before you start bending and welding. Try making the cage out of wood first. You can get 3/8th rods cheap. Use a hot glue gun to join the dowels. Once you have it looking like you want it to measure all the length's to determine how much tubing you'll need.
My dad got the hook up at work got some pipe to practice on. I have a little experience bending pipe so I think I can do this fairly easy. Also I have the plastic roll cage that's in my chimera that I will use to copy.

I'm gonna bend and cut all the pipe and the welder will weld it for me. :)

I think I'm gonna go ahead and try out the 4130.

Which thickness is recommended?

JSoto777

We'll I started last night after work. And finished all the bends and most of the cuts. Just got to get about a foot more of 3/8" then 18 inches of a smaller pipe. Here are some pics View attachment 6954

image.jpg

image.jpg

/monthly_2014_01/image.jpg.97f1f512000631685d8198df3ff9c4e6.jpg

G

You should add a bar to fasten it mid chassis as well. That will help with chassis flex. They should of done that on the chimera cage and eliminate the motor cage.

It's look'n awesome!

JSoto777

RCDAD said:
You should add a bar to fasten it mid chassis as well. That will help with chassis flex. They should of done that on the chimera cage and eliminate the motor cage. It's look'n awesome!
Thanks, and I will consider the mid chassis bar. Cool

G

I just used a grinder.

You really don't need to much as the welds will fill a lot.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.