• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Rear chassis flex

Chief409

The driveline to the rear diff rubs on the bottom of the engine crankcase when you run hard. Too much flex at the rear of the chassis. I'm thinking about a couple of L stiffeners underneath welded in, running to about half way under the gas tank. Or a steel roll cage.

Or,

Possibly, making windows and attaching those to the roll cage might work. I'll try that first. When I installed windows on the 5b I noticed the roll cage is stiffer. And the roll cage is supposed to prevent rear chassis flex on the Dune Runner, and possibly the MT/TT. Need windows to keep the dirt and sand out anyway on a Dune Runner.

And a aluminum rod brace between the light bucket holes for good measure. The front roll cage arms bow in and out.

Thinking out loud right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

I've mentioned to Redcat that they should get the aluminum cage for the DR. They are looking into to having it manufactured. I'm hoping it works out. :)

Chief409

RCDAD said:
I've mentioned to Redcat that they should get the aluminum cage for the DR. They are looking into to having it manufactured. I'm hoping it works out. :)
Something is needed, that's for sure.

Ol' fart

You could get my chassis. It does not flex. This is a pic of the E chassis. The Gas one is the same except for hole locations of course.

Chief409

Ol said:
You could get my chassis. It does not flex. This is a pic of the E chassis. The Gas one is the same except for hole locations of course.
Ol' Fart, I saw that XBE chassis the other day, was wishing I could find something for the Dune Runner like that. Nice. If you have something for the Dune Runner let me know, I'm tuning the buggy for Dunetoberfest right now, but after that, "Oh Yeah".

TheCount

my non redcat DR came with rear chassis braces.they go from the rear diff support forward to under the motor.

I had to drill the holes for them when i changed to the proper RedCat DR chassis.

Chief409

TheCount said:
my non redcat DR came with rear chassis braces.they go from the rear diff support forward to under the motor.I had to drill the holes for them when i changed to the proper RedCat DR chassis.
Count, do you have a picture of them.

TheCount

here is what they look like, this isn't them, i think these are of a version of the XB or XBE we have here in Aus. You would have to cut off the bit that sticks up. I'll have a better look when i get home from work & can find the part number in my stuff.

2 types. plastic & alloy.

http://www.rchobbyestore.com.au/p-10212-077002-rear-side-linkal-for-15-scale-hsp-spare-part.aspx

http://www.rchobbyestore.com.au/p-10153-07771-rear-side-link-for-15-scale-hsp-spare-part.aspx

look for parts for a EXceed BARCA in the US.

Chief409

Thanks Count. Looks like it'll be chassis reinforcement on the bottom, too much play in the rear of the roll cage and back bumper to stiffen up the back end. I don't like the driveline wearing a groove in the crankcase. Still going to make some windows for the cage, both to make it sturdier, and to protect things, like the carb and engine, from sand and stuff flying off the front wheels.

TheCount

here is the part & number # 54084, i have checked all the guys i buy parts from & none of them seem to carry these.

There are 2 but look like sold as a single unit.

rampagemt

So those 2 pieces moubt under the rear plate om the diff that looks like a triangle? Instead of those buffer posts I believe there called? Either way I like those, at least better supporr then stock.

TheCount

Yes, the bolt to the rear diff front support brace & go forward under the motor & are bolted to the chassis in 3 spots along each brace.

You could make some from some alloy flat bar about 1/4 inch thick if your handy

Chief409

TheCount said:
Yes, the bolt to the rear diff front support brace & go forward under the motor & are bolted to the chassis in 3 spots along each brace. You could make some from some alloy flat bar about 1/4 inch thick if your handy
I'll have this mod completed shortly. Thanks for the info!

Chief409

Ends up, the mod will be rather drastic. Made a close examination of the chassis today in good light. On the left side, at the rear, in the bottom radius where the end of the side rail is, there's a crack. So I'll limit the DR to drags at Duneoctoberfest, no jumps, etc. (Glad I have 2 buggies). Next month I'll order a new chassis, cut the rear half off the old chassis and make a doubler plate from under the gas tank to the very rear, attached to the bottom. I'll enlarge the screw holes in the doubler to larger then the screw heads so I'll be able to use stock length screws. Bolt them together, with Liquid Weld spread between the plates, and I DON'T think this will happen again. Not much weight gain either.

Unless you look closely, and know what you're looking at, I'll bet most people would think the chassis was built this way after a coat of paint is applied to it.

Chief409

Got it! $100 with CA tax and free shipping.

I've bought a bunch of 1/10 stuff there, and visit the store and racetrack when we're at the in-laws, never thought to check for RedCat stuff there.

But, it's showing "Backorder" now when I checked back. Which isn't a problem. I think I got the last one in stock.

Yep, got the confirmation email from A-Main. In process.

Thanks!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts