• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Rampage XT Rim Issues?

Sinist3r

Hey guys! Got the Ramapage XT back up and going. I don't know if I overlooked some damage that was from the crash in April, or this is a weak link on the truck itself. I noticed when I was running it yesterday that the passenger rear tire had some wobble to it. So i tried tightening it figuring may the nut for the tire was coming loose. After driving a bit more, I looked further into the issue. As it turns out, I could see some cracking in the rim, and the mounting hole was oblong. After removing the tire, I have found that the square hub on the back of the rim is broken. I don't know if this is from the accident, or if this normally is an issue. I'm looking for some input here as far as if this is a trouble spot on the truck.

Sinist3r

Also, is there anyone who makes a stronger wheel for the XT? Will the MT wheels fit, and if so, are they stronger? And again, I don't know if the damage was done from the crash, or some other unknown reason.

BertR

The foams have been known to turn to powder and can cause an unbalance or it has been coming loose and wobbling the square out. Baja wheels n tires is the way to go for better variety. Imex has the J7 tire and wheel but you will need the wheel adapters from Rob or Ol'fart to use them ...same with Baja tires/rims. The MT wheels do not fit because they have a different hub setup from the x series.

Sinist3r

Does anyone here have any pictures of there Redcat Rampage Trucks with Baja wheels? I've been browsing the net trying to find Baja wheel and tire setups that are clost to XT and MT stock tires.

BertR

I have one I will post after work.. It is with a rear trencher,bow-tie and stock xt tire lined up in a row.

Sinist3r

That helps Bert. So with the hpi 24mm hex adaptors, there is plenty of potential to find a larger rim and tire over stock. I'm searching the Internet now. Am I supposed to be looking for hpi Baja 5T wheels? I'm kinda confused, because all I'm finding is smaller tires. Sorry for millions of questions, and also, we just picked up another rampage XT for a friend of mine last night.

BertR

The 5b rears are wider than the 5t.but not as tall! The tire on the right is a 5b the imex adds should state weather or not it fits baja. I think the swamp dogs and K-Rock fit baja wheels but the j7 is too wide so it has its own wheel for it.

Sinist3r

I found wheels and tires that fit the Baja 24 mm hex. The main reason I'm looking into this is because of how bad my plastic wheels snapped at the hub at the back of the rim. Is going with the 24 mm hex going to be a more durable setup? Meaning, do you think I will be okay with a plastic wheel? They are Rowan Know by on HD 6 spoke wheel and they fit 5b Baja.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sinist3r

If anything, I could get these for the rims too, and then if I want a more aggressive tires, I've got the wheels already. You all probably think I'm nuts.. Lol! I just want to be able to do some bashing and not worry about hubs on wheels stripping out as much. I know I'm gonna break stuff, but I will slowly replace trouble sum stuff.

RampageHopUps

That is why I made the adapters for the X-series. HPI Wheels and tires are more durable and you have plenty of options. Not sure about the Rovan quality, but the HPI wheels will last.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts