• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Rampage MT Stock Radio Performance?

307_Proud

Im about to buy a MT V3, I was just curious about the supplied equipment. First off, how is the radio itself? Is it a rebadged Flysky? Does it take 8aa batteries? Servos, I see that there are 2 steering servos, are they just 2 "standard" servos, or are they larger? Throttle\break servo, anything fancy there? Is there a built in fail safe / kill switch? Just curious.

I hope Im not beating a dead horse, and I know all this can be upgraded. I have delt with nitro rtr's (Traxxas & Associated) and I have stuck with the stock radios to this day. Just wondering how you all feel about the stock running gear.

Thanks

Ice_2k

Rampage MT Stock Radio Performance?

Radio is Flysky. St servos are large. Builtin failsafe yes, killswitch no.

Personally, I'm not too happy with the radio, range is not great and my killswitch frequently kills my engine, probably because the radio is losing signal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ice_2k

@Phil What Futaba are you using? And what range are you getting? I'm having problems after ~100m...

Phill

Ice_2k said:
@Phil What Futaba are you using? And what range are you getting? I'm having problems after ~100m...
It's a very basic one but has more than 200m range

3PRKA

I paid about $60 for it

Ice_2k

I really wanted to get the new flysky fs-it4s but I don't know if it would be better than the normal flysky, range-wise

Phill

Ice_2k said:
I really wanted to get the new flysky fs-it4s but I don't know if it would be better than the normal flysky, range-wise
I've used Futaba since the 80s and they've always been good

Mine is basic but does everything I want

You can pay more and get one with more features if you feel you need them

Ebay is a good place to shop

Ice_2k

yeah, the problem is that the telemetry-capable FS-IT4S is under $150 (sensors included), while a similar Futaba gets to $400-500.... On the plus side, the FS-IT4S has the frequency hoping system which the stock flysky does not.

Phill

Ice_2k said:
yeah, the problem is that the telemetry-capable FS-IT4S is under $150 (sensors included), while a similar Futaba gets to $400-500.... On the plus side, the FS-IT4S has the frequency hoping system which the stock flysky does not.
Like everything you get what you pay for.

If you buy Futaba you only buy once.

Why do you need telemetry?

If you want to know how fast it is put a GPS on the wing with a rubber band.

Works for me

Ice_2k

I don't "need" it, I just "want" it :) ) I was thinking it would be useful to be able to see RPM, speed, temperatures in real time. Anyway, I'll think about it some more, not sure which way I'll go. If I decide to drop the telemetry, I'll certainly go for a Futaba.

P.S. I noticed on the Futaba 3PL website they say "Servos of modeler's choice" under requirements, along with batteries. I don't get it, what servos?

P.P.S. How fast does your DR go?

Phill

Ice_2k said:
I don't "need" it, I just "want" it :) ) I was thinking it would be useful to be able to see RPM, speed, temperatures in real time. Anyway, I'll think about it some more, not sure which way I'll go. If I decide to drop the telemetry, I'll certainly go for a Futaba.P.S. I noticed on the Futaba 3PL website they say "Servos of modeler's choice" under requirements, along with batteries. I don't get it, what servos?

P.P.S. How fast does your DR go?
They mean you can use any servos you want

You don't have to use Futaba servos

I'm using stock steering and Hitec throttle/brake

Running 29/31 it did 40mph with a crappy pipe

Haven't checked it with the Jetpro but it's faster for sure

Ice_2k

29/31/26/24? Are you saying the jetpro increases the max revs?

307_Proud

Thanks for the info and feedback guys. I have always heard good and bad on the Flysky radios. they seem like a heck of a good deal and then you see the price, and it makes me all skeptical. Them do seem to have some pretty fancy radios out there . but what do I really need to do with my radio?! Im sure I will be able to live with the stock equipment for awhile as long as it holds up and has good response and distance.

I have had my eyes on the Futaba 3PL 3-CH radio, which is about $105 with one servo. Extra receivers are $48 all at Tower Hobbies. Im sure it has more options than I will ever use, but Futaba is a Trusted brand and Im not afraid to spend that extra bit of assurance on what is controlling my RC, ecspecially if its a 35lb weight traveling 35mph!

Last edited by a moderator:

Phill

307_Proud said:
Thanks for the info and feedback guys. I have always heard good and bad on the Flysky radios. they seem like a heck of a good deal and then you see the price, and it makes me all skeptical. Them do seem to have some pretty fancy radios out there . but what do I really need to do with my radio?! Im sure I will be able to live with the stock equipment for awhile as long as it holds up and has good response and distance.I have had my eyes on the Futaba 3PL 3-CH radio, which is about $105 with one servo. Extra transmitters are $48 at Tower Hobbies. Im sure it has more options than I will ever use, but Futaba is a Trusted brand and Im not afraid to spend that extra bit of assurance on what is controlling my RC, ecspecially if its a 35lb weight traveling 35mph!
Futaba is a wise choice

RobC77

i have recently purchased the Futaba 3 pl and i love it its easy to set up and reaction time is nil

Ice_2k

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to avoid... many people around here said that turning off the Tx is really not good for the servos, as it leaves the Rx with no signal so I would prefer to have a dedicated channel for the killswitch. I was asking how many channels it has because some websites list it as a 3-channel and others list it as "3 proportional channels + 1 toggle channel" and I suppose a toggle channel would be just perfect for the killswitch...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts