• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Rampage MT gear train questions

Phill

I think it was my fault. I went back in and tried it again. It now says "you have committed to buying this item" where it wouldn't yesterday. Can't wait to try it out.

I've been running mine for 2+ yrs
You'll love it

G-Man

You'll love it
Thanks man. He finally got back to me with the invoice. He shipped it 10 minutes after payment. I'm excited to get this mt right!! I opted for high voltage servos i also got a new Futaba 4pls radio system and running lipo rx pack.

G-Man

You'll love it
I'm guessing the belt drive gears just mount right on the layshaft square drives? I see another guy said he had to shim to get the belt centered up. I guess I will figure it out when all the parts get here.

Phill

I'm guessing the belt drive gears just mount right on the layshaft square drives? I see another guy said he had to shim to get the belt centered up. I guess I will figure it out when all the parts get here.

Yep you'll have to shim the bottom 2 shafts to get it to line up.
Otherwise just bolts straight up

Phill

Same thing, prompted for a shipping quote, had it next day. Then i added the 1.54-1 belt kit which can be flipped to about a .65-1 (may have an xr rally coming...) payed and had an estimated delivery date the next day. Parts came a week a week earlier than expected by post. My end was all English, he prob uses a google translator.

Just check the 1.54 one
I ordered one and it came with 10mm holes.
Redcat shafts are 8mm
The Carbon Fighter is different to Redcat

ralphtonka

Just check the 1.54 one
I ordered one and it came with 10mm holes.
Redcat shafts are 8mm
The Carbon Fighter is different to Redcat
ill have to check mine, worst case i can bore them out on the lathe and sleeve them. Edit, checked and mine are 10mm as well. will ned a little work.

Last edited:

RampageHopUps

Redcat shafts are 10mm diameter, always have been. The nuts changed form M8 to M10 a long time ago. Yeah, that was wrong. I was thinking ab out the axle shafts.

Last edited:

Phill

Redcat shafts are 10mm diameter, always have been. The nuts changed form M8 to M10 a long time ago.
Sorry Rob but the main bearing on the back of the clutch bell is 10mm all the rest are 8mm
Bearing sizes Gear Plate - four 22x8x7 and one 26x10x8
Dunno how you're going to get a 10mm shaft in there.
Nuts are M6
That's running stock blue plate and bearings

ralphtonka

Sorry Rob but the main bearing on the back of the clutch bell is 10mm all the rest are 8mm
Bearing sizes Gear Plate - four 22x8x7 and one 26x10x8
Dunno how you're going to get a 10mm shaft in there.
Nuts are M6
That's running stock blue plate and bearings
Definitely 8mm shafts on my v3 mt

G-Man

Yep you'll have to shim the bottom 2 shafts to get it to line up.
Otherwise just bolts straight up
Ok I received the belt drive. Was hoping for better instructions. I doesn't look like it has an adjustable tensioner. Does it go on like a timing chain on a car engine or something?

Phill

Ok I received the belt drive. Was hoping for better instructions. I doesn't look like it has an adjustable tensioner. Does it go on like a timing chain on a car engine or something?

Put the top and bottom pulleys and the spacer for the idler pulley on then install the belt.
After that's on slip the idler pulley under the belt.

G-Man

Put the top and bottom pulleys and the spacer for the idler pulley on then install the belt.
After that's on slip the idler pulley under the belt.
Cool thanks Phill. I kinda figured thats how it worked, but hoped it had adjustment in case the belt stretches. Tomorrows project..

Phill

They don't stretch and they're a real b@@ch to stretch over that idler pulley

Forgot to say I found the idler pulley was spinning on the shaft so I tapped it and put a 5mm set screw in

G-Man

Forgot to say I found the idler pulley was spinning on the shaft so I tapped it and put a 5mm set screw in
I haven't had a chance to attempt the belt install yet. I can't believe they didn't use a set screw to fasten it down. Actually haven't even looked real hard at the parts yet other than seeing a bunch of sets crews in there, are they all used?

Phill

I haven't had a chance to attempt the belt install yet. I can't believe they didn't use a set screw to fasten it down. Actually haven't even looked real hard at the parts yet other than seeing a bunch of sets crews in there, are they all used?
You should have 6
2 for the top pulley and 4 for the bottom.
Once you get the shims right Loctite em

G-Man

Ok o got the belt drive installed and came across the same problem the idler pulley just spinning on the shaft after tightening the center nut. What is happening the washer behind the nut is bottoming out on the shoulder of the layshaft. I ground out the washer to fit over the shoulder and it now tightened up. But now with everything together it barely rolls, everything is binding. I took everything back apart. Found slop in the center diff bearings in the mounts. So I shimmed it up and it's nice and tight spinning freely. Reinstalled in the truck reinstalled the belt and it is still binding, not as bad but is. I then noticed the center layshaft bearings are kinda noisy and tight where the clutch bell will spin endlessly. So I guess I have bad bearings. Maybe 6 months ago I put green sealed bearings from boca in there. Another questiin. Why does the brake shaft have to have so many separate parts that all are adjustable a little bit. I did put all new layshafts and clutch bell along with center diff pinion thinking that would eliminate any bends in the shafts etc. Any ideas?

Phill

Ok o got the belt drive installed and came across the same problem the idler pulley just spinning on the shaft after tightening the center nut. What is happening the washer behind the nut is bottoming out on the shoulder of the layshaft. I ground out the washer to fit over the shoulder and it now tightened up. But now with everything together it barely rolls, everything is binding. I took everything back apart. Found slop in the center diff bearings in the mounts. So I shimmed it up and it's nice and tight spinning freely. Reinstalled in the truck reinstalled the belt and it is still binding, not as bad but is. I then noticed the center layshaft bearings are kinda noisy and tight where the clutch bell will spin endlessly. So I guess I have bad bearings. Maybe 6 months ago I put green sealed bearings from boca in there. Another questiin. Why does the brake shaft have to have so many separate parts that all are adjustable a little bit. I did put all new layshafts and clutch bell along with center diff pinion thinking that would eliminate any bends in the shafts etc. Any ideas?

I'm not getting what you mean about the brake shaft.
I have about 1mm play on all my shafts so they don't bind.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts