• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Rampage MT gear train questions

Boomkidd

So, Ive experienced probably all of the issues that can occur on the MT's. I still love it and plan on upgrading until it doesn't freaking break. At any rate, I usually google search my answers but cant really find much. I was running my fairly new MT yesterday on the last break in tank and couldnt even finish it. I had a grub screw back out on the disc brake area and it caused a lock up. Replaced the screw, continued on. Yesterday a bearing took a dump pn the middle gears. Im going to order quality sealed bearings for this soon...need some $ first! lol
These gears got real hot and I'm running w/o the cover for now. They were literally smoking and I noticed the extreme play in the middle, knew its a bearing right away.

I cant find the Demon 2 speed trans I've read across the board about, only an ebay chinese knock off version. Is that this worth it? See couple negative reviews on it. Or, where the hell do they sell the belt drive conversion kit?? I am dying to change this factory setup out. I assume the gears were smoking hot due to the worn bearing, but man they must get hot in general. Belt drive, or maybe that 2 speed seems like a better route.

Anything I want to address besides the lack of loctite on these? Getting tired of unforeseen problems, am willing to pay whatever to make them not happen. Its one thing if you crash, its another if its breaking from running in a circle on flat concrete (break in.) I even had to re-do the axle pin loctite as it was as if I didn't put it on them (which were all loose, L/R was missing.) I used blue, but this time I slopped it on heavy.

hysinthius

Boomkidd

company that made the 2 speed is out of business I believe. I heated up the bearing so much it smoked my backing plate when stock.

I have a stern belt drive on mine. I got it from these guys http://www.ebay.com/usr/www_stern-cnc_de?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2754
I don't see any for sale from them but im sure if you reach to them they can hook you up. If you want to see pics of it just look at my build link https://redcatrampageforum.com/threads/ramage-xt-rebuild.13898/

Ah, ok gotcha. Its a shame no one sells these in the US. Im sure they would sell fairly well. Thanks for the advise, I'm going to message this seller now. Thanks man!

hysinthius

If that doesn't work for you ...get a gear plate and layshaft mount from 7075rc it has bigger bearings and much better quality. Id sell ya mine but I want to hang onto in the case a issue ever comes up with my belt drive.

JD

Boomkidd

If that doesn't work for you ...get a gear plate and layshaft mount from 7075rc it has bigger bearings and much better quality. Id sell ya mine but I want to hang onto in the case a issue ever comes up with my belt drive.

JD
Ah, nice I like oversized bearings definitely. Says "street use only" though... any reason I couldnt run it on dirt, etc?
And what would the 'layshaft' be for? The center diff shaft Im guessing? (Thanks man!) Looking to remedy this so I don't have a future problem is all. If I smash it into something and break it that way, that's a different story lol

Boomkidd

7075rc parts yes will work the other no there is a redcat specific blue one.
Ah, gotcha. I think Ill get the center diff bearing holders too (blue aluminum.) I think the less flex = less heat.
I didnt realize how much things heat up when running full throttle constantly. Anything else I should maybe change to aluminum? Im not gona right now, just good to know for the future. The plastic arms actually seem to be really good so far anyway, but I have no idea (only did break in so far really...1st engine blew 3 tanks after break in was done- That one was warrantied. Sucks cause they sent a 2 bolt head, I had a 4 bolt.)

hysinthius

I'm not as familiar with the MT as I am with my XT. from my understanding its lil more sturdy compared to mine. All I can say is clean and inspect it after a session. once clean lube and check all bolts and screws for proper tightness. Typical RC maintenance.

G-Man

If you go on 7075rc site they have limited parts for the MT for some reason. Mainly driveline parts, like sleeved diff drive cups and sleeved cva. The blue aluminum redcat center diff mount is nice along with the brake layshaft mount. Also aluminum redcat servo saver and futaba mount. Otherwise I'm all plastic..

Boomkidd

If you go on 7075rc site they have limited parts for the MT for some reason. Mainly driveline parts, like sleeved diff drive cups and sleeved cva. The blue aluminum redcat center diff mount is nice along with the brake layshaft mount. Also aluminum redcat servo saver and futaba mount. Otherwise I'm all plastic..
This is my only land RC currently, but I've owned a lot in my time. I'm content w/ one 1//5 scale vehicle for some reason now a days. From my experience on like Traxxas for example is that aluminum arms tend to bend vs the plastic which will flex (or crack of course.) I'm pretty happy w/ the quality of plastic Redcat choose. Things like the bearing holders IMO are important to be metal. After learning how much heat can built up its probably better w/ metal for that reason alone (plastic gets hot and no way it's as rigid as it is cold.) I may do aluminum spindles later on, not sure...would like to get thru break in w/o something failing lol
The 7075rc site has the gear plate listed for Chimera, etc only, but that plate fits the MT I'm 99% sure. If that site did their homework a little better they might make more $$$. Whatevs. I believe the layshaft holder will fit the MT also, but not 100%. Cant find that bearing holder for the layshaft ANYWHERE in metal.
I'm running the Futaba servo mount and using one Hitec servo. Hitech T/B servo too.
I just want to be able to run this w/o something breaking. One thing if you hit a tree at 35 mph, another if it just fails running on flat ground in big circles. I'll upgrade until it doesn't fail from normal use.

G-Man

This is my only land RC currently, but I've owned a lot in my time. I'm content w/ one 1//5 scale vehicle for some reason now a days. From my experience on like Traxxas for example is that aluminum arms tend to bend vs the plastic which will flex (or crack of course.) I'm pretty happy w/ the quality of plastic Redcat choose. Things like the bearing holders IMO are important to be metal. After learning how much heat can built up its probably better w/ metal for that reason alone (plastic gets hot and no way it's as rigid as it is cold.) I may do aluminum spindles later on, not sure...would like to get thru break in w/o something failing lol
The 7075rc site has the gear plate listed for Chimera, etc only, but that plate fits the MT I'm 99% sure. If that site did their homework a little better they might make more $$$. Whatevs. I believe the layshaft holder will fit the MT also, but not 100%. Cant find that bearing holder for the layshaft ANYWHERE in metal.
I'm running the Futaba servo mount and using one Hitec servo. Hitech T/B servo too.
I just want to be able to run this w/o something breaking. One thing if you hit a tree at 35 mph, another if it just fails running on flat ground in big circles. I'll upgrade until it doesn't fail from normal use.
If you have the v3 MT the trans gear backing plate is blue aluminum already. I just put in an aluminum brake shaft bearing mount along with the center diff bearing mounts. All are available basically anywhere. Just 1 Hitec steering servo huh? On 6v?

Boomkidd

If you have the v3 MT the trans gear backing plate is blue aluminum already. I just put in an aluminum brake shaft bearing mount along with the center diff bearing mounts. All are available basically anywhere. Just 1 Hitec steering servo huh? On 6v?
I went and ordered a 7075 backplate anyway. Pretty sure the aluminum stock is different. Says bearings are oversized also. I'm not too sure how the backplate held up after the gears were literally smoking from a bearing wearing out either. I read a few old posts about the steering on here I think. Its ok to run one decently powered servo. Eats less voltage too. doesn't seem different from the stock 2 servos to he honest. Not 1 bit. (This is the V3 MT, 6volts on the servos.) Im also running a Castle BEC pro w/ a 3s lipo. I have a few random lipos not in use so figured why not. Works fantastically. I cant wait until Im done chasing the problems away for good on here lol

Phill

Ah, ok gotcha. Its a shame no one sells these in the US. Im sure they would sell fairly well. Thanks for the advise, I'm going to message this seller now. Thanks man!

You'll have to use Google translate as he doesn't speak English
I have this one on my DR http://www.ebay.com/itm/Belt-Drive-...-HD-Top-Neu-/161517555988?hash=item259b325114
and have just ordered this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151015940081?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

hysinthius

ya thats the same guy I got mine from. He understands English if you need to message him. I have the carbon fiber version. you can see it on my build thread. My only pause with this version is it looks like its using the stock plastic gear plate. if you have already smoked the bearings or have gotten very hot you are going to end up with play around there they mount. If you go this route I would also get a aluminum back plate.

JD

Boomkidd

AWESOME! Thank you SOO much for posting this super helpful information man! I'm going to order the non-CF version. About to order it now....

Boomkidd

ya thats the same guy I got mine from. He understands English if you need to message him. I have the carbon fiber version. you can see it on my build thread. My only pause with this version is it looks like its using the stock plastic gear plate. if you have already smoked the bearings or have gotten very hot you are going to end up with play around there they mount. If you go this route I would also get a aluminum back plate.

JD
I'm going to order the non-CF version then. I did smoke the bearings, but I purchased a 'FastEddy' bearing set for the MT which I received today. How long does it take this guy to ship and how long did it take to receive it on your end? Thanks for the info by the way! Awesome sauce! Im about to order it up in a little bit....

I just messaged the guy for shipping rates. Did you guys have to do this? How much was it about?

Last edited:

Phill

JD
This one doesn't come with a plate you just use your original
Initially I ran it with a plastic plate and stock bearings with no probs due to less heat but have upgraded to the al plate and high speed industrial grade rubber sealed bearings just to be sure.
You can get em much cheaper at your local bearing supplier than at RC outlets
When I bought my first one about 2 yrs ago he didn't speak English
Maybe he's found Google?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts