• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Quasimoto Rampage XB build

Ice_2k

damn, the difference in size between those tires is staggering :eek:

phreerider

love these tires! KM/rovan pioneer rears good and plenty!

trenchersXB_zps4030af91.jpg

for XB platform a bit much for sure.

this image was taken oct. 2013

Last edited by a moderator:

phreerider

Trenchcat

here we go,

TRENCHCAT

features of distinction...

beefy 6061 ventral chassis spine

MT rear lower arms

factory part hack for solid dual servo steer

tool-phree removable roll cage

custom dyneema outrigger limiters

quick access rx box

rovan baja shocks

and harvested Q stuff

OBR 30.5 prostock, 990wt, jetpro MCD pipe...good and plenty! much more and the breakage rate kill the phun.

heres a look...

trenchcat%20front_zpspeoe8yak.jpg

without limiters

with limiters on

trenchcat_zpstmccjhwe.jpg

roughly a gallon thru it and i must say its the best setup yet!

with the limiters on the handling is amazing , no bucking all grind and go!

nice series of images on all the pheatures and stuff coming soon... and video if the gopro cooperates... when i find it

phreerider

the chassis , stock XB. this particular one is from design2survive , thank you.

3/4" 6061 Al full length

M6 tapped with SS

this is ample for .8 # weight gain to give chassis serious beast qualities...doubtful i will finish out detail on it, may clean the ends.

best performance feature? lowers cg ! really stays down.

TC%20spine_zps1orosvhb.jpg

screw layout (paired with original)

TC%20chassiss_zpsuky57jjj.jpg

phreerider

standing ventral spine shot

tc%20standing%20spine%20A_zpspibitr5n.jpg

Rear showing MT lower arms as well

tc%20standing%20MT%20rear%20arms_zpseuhb1i7s.jpg

teasers shots on the MT arms hack to 7075rc box AND 7075rc oversize bearing carrier

tc%20MT%20rear%20arms_zpsrr5tc8kb.jpg

here showing shock mod to accept shorter ends

tc%20MT%20rear%20arm%207075rc%20carrier_zpszq8vlbr4.jpg

stock XB rear arm below, details on MT rear lower arm mod for fitment coming up next.

...these images reminds me that i did add the MT tank back on, but rotated it so fill is on clutch side.

phreerider

chassis mod is gonna stretch the life span of the use considerably and in general provide unmatched rigidity and stiffness. for its fractional weight gain, just under 3%, much better power/torque tolerance for sure, from tarmac to bouncer setup it only enhances performance, the asphalt sessions only indicate tire wear will be even faster!

ok enough about that ... moving into MT rear lower arm hack details.

the notion of thicker has to be better will be in the equation with this application. the stock XB part is less material , but not in the attachment points! so a gain in stiffness is apparent and unfortunately brittleness that comes with it. the flexibility( ie toughness) of the XB stock part may have the better performance. I have not had any breakage or issues with the stock part, the through mount for the shocks was the motivating factor. it will carry a bigger shock and looks beefier(is that really a word)...plus i had the junk so i wanted to put it into the grind and not have just laying around since i also had XB stock ready to go, BUT they will need to be modded to accept bigger shocks(yep, you know it!). these(MT) just looked like the quickest, effective route to RUN READY set up dealing with the shock application.

the LARGER shock change MAY be the the reasoning for THICKER arms, increase in preload , higher pressure in total through outrigger assembly.?.?. cool hack for sure, and adds some range for MT folks who may consider adding 7075rc bearing carrier...should they be so adventurous

some rerun images of geometry XB v. MT part ...as soon as i find them

rear%20lower%20arms%20XBMT_zpsogmc8dfd.jpg

and slight change in stock XB part rear dogbones gives nice advantage to allow this combo

XB dog bone stock both are rear

dogbonerearnew135voriginal_zps2c722c60.jpg

...had to get all that out of the way

phreerider

make it fit situation... MT rear are going on XB.

balanced trimming to get the width of bearing carrier in the arm space and outer pin space augmentation with poly tubing. also diff cup requires a fraction more space so additional relief is required. on the inner pin, which are 6MM, only required small section of firm tubing to abut in nice snug fashion.

tc%20MT%20rears%20_zps12yviv0m.jpg

tc%20MT%20rears%207075rc%20_zpshd9lreja.jpg

inner pin

tc%20MT%20rears%20inner%20pin%20abut%20space_zpsuotrj6qc.jpg

complete , note outer pin washers used (on both ends) buttons things up

tc%20MT%20rears%20outer%20pin%20washers_zpskqckku9v.jpg

with ample dogbone penatration unit is ready to rock it, double hard!

phreerider

jumping on rear baja shocks, short ends on the taller shocks require relief for full radial action.

but first heres the tattered XB rear lower arms and MT shocks for reference ...this gave serious time in service and definitely would consider going back into this setup , but the MT ends needed help. i did fashioned AL ends from turnbuckles very tidy hardware store hack to replace frequently fracturing stock MT shock ends which are plastic...and as seen it only bends the next element, the shaft.

perhaps the change will do better. quite abit more preload, but top vertical traction limiters reduce that outrigger pressure so we'll see.

XB rears and MT shocks

tc%20XB%20rears%20shocks_zpsb6tv3lge.jpg

MT rear arm relief for lower short shock head end

tc%20MT%20rears%20shock%20niche_zpsntct3gec.jpg

the deep set thru bolt set up, seemingly bit more secure

tc%20MT%20rears%20shock%20mount_zpsjbbv0lca.jpg

the topend standoff mod, basic and simple actually cut down unused MT balls mounts

tc%20baja%20stand%20off_zpstlaqyvfo.jpg

phreerider

and to control all the suspension, shock limiters .

this is a custom linked dyneema tool-phree adjustable setup.

tc%20limiter%20link_zpsppzbfggy.jpg

off road setting , sits up a bit, a fraction more bouncy nice all-round.

tc%20limiter%20rear%20offroad%20A_zps03b6kq3a.jpg

tarmac setting link turned vertical shortens everything, tightens up and sits down. axle nice and flat.

tc%20limiter%20rear%20up_zpsrywr7ntr.jpg

flattened out , very responsive setting.

tc%20limiter%20rear%20up%20axle%20flat_zpsibmla01q.jpg

phreerider

and the front end limiter link

tc%20limiter%20front%20flat%20link_zpsoib38zvy.jpg

front up , all around, offroad setting

tc%20front%20offroad%20set_zpsvj8qcgfg.jpg

down , street ready

tc%20limiter%20front%20down_zpsx67tsaxd.jpg

link is vertical, i do have a pin clip for secure link fixation really has not been an issue maybe with more street action i would add the clip, but i like simple and as few parts as possible.

tc%20limiter%20front%20vert%20link_zpsqugcxixn.jpg

phreerider

ok, GTi Leo has pointed out the limited travel action on the front. it has not been a problem but they are just too tall, hence the hi preload and limiters. definitely in the "street" setting its really tight(kinda like it, joker is glue to road!). the rear seems fine with MT mounting and 7075rc towers..... and so a breakdown and rebuild for has many kits has i have will be coming around soon. for XB, MT and the HPI clone 8MM and in general the cross swap options within the groups at hand. i will look about getting MCD reuild kit and maybe losi for comparison as well , i'm sure if they don't work they will show up somewhere.

the stiff action really has been a drive enhancement and love it! esp. over the full on bouncer setup, but the honeymoon is over, definitely will rebuild XB fronts and add them back on at some point. or come up with some cool cut down/ hacked on parts to give back recoil travel...but in the meantime unit is burning the sessions and enjoying the leak phree booted shocks despite their minor degree of misfit.

...back to the regular program show , XB factory part dual steer just around the corner

phreerider

trenchcat dual servo steer. the why ...big front tires/paddles , on gas power steer with authority and maybe extend steer servo life by shared load and less rate.

this series demos a stock servo plate, inverted and screwed to chassis , also doubled the center support section and servo holder. this is so much better than the MT hack ( worked great) it just got kinda soft and beat up. this definitely commits you to total rechoice on rx box ..which is next but first the setup.

tc%20dual%20servo%20frt%20veiw_zpsddmdjfyc.jpg

tc%20dual%20top%20forward_zpsniufytts.jpg

tc%20dual%20servo%20top%20side_zpsacyyk3cv.jpg

TC%20dual%20servo_zpsipm5d48s.jpg

phreerider

the alignment is as straight as limits will allow , the balance it gives the front section of the chassis and build just seems better. and i did put back the dual servo saver AND THE ACKERMAN BAR WITH A SCREW LIMITER to keep it in place!

i am not going to rerun the dual servo saver steer , but would advise the redcat alloy over the plastic, currently have the alloy on stock side and plastic on the added side. the only issue, beside the plastic servo saver is soft and needs regular tweaks to squeeze the spring, is the where the link rod end is held on the alloy side needs shimms/washer for tight clamping otherwise it rattles about, maybe an MT ball end would satisfy the space better....and if find decent images of steer i will place here .

and in general, as mentioned before, considering front tire weight, tire width and driveline power it just brings control that much tighter . and SEEMINGLY extends servo life, both these servos have pulled a mountain range of time and expect them to continue.

phreerider

moving into the clam latch rx box,

had it , it fit and the hack...with notable transparent feature giving the "GO" sign.

green%20light%20GO_zpse6xvxd7w.jpg

nice wide fully hinged seal , battery ancillary cords/wires stuffed into space provided by felt spacers that cradle battery, a splitter is on the other side.

it is bolted to chassis, and tethered with zip for solid contact.

rx%20box%20houdini_zpsz8v3hfrd.jpg

rx%20open%20lower_zps8ai5a7tg.jpg

top , has switch, and velcro rx with usable tuck spaces

rx%20box%20open%20upper_zpslpkbsj6t.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.