• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Pro's and Con's of the Dune Runner 4x4

rcgasser

Chief409 said:
My plan is to take the original chassis, trim the side rails off, enlarge the mounting holes so the screws don't have to be changed, (they'll only mount in the chassis, not the doubler) and use JB Weld and some rivets to laminate the pieces together. Going from in front of the center diff, to the end. After looking at RCGASSERS pictures, the doubler might run to in front of the gas tank. And make some windows like I'm using on 5b sand buggys to reinforce the cage and make it stiffer. It'll add weight, but should still be lighter then a 5IVE, and the body will still fit.Man, that's a nasty wreck.

I need to get a band saw, and a rivet gun + bucking bar, so with other things going on, it'll be a winter project.
Ok cool all those sound like some great ideas.

G

rcgasser said:
I would like to say +1 +2 and +3 on the rear chassis flex very bad please share how you modify your I would like to do the same.

Holy Crap!! :eek:

Chief409

rcgasser said:
Ok cool all those sound like some great ideas.
If someone else makes the mods first, I'll be happy to hear the results. Wish I had unlimited funds, I'd redesign the chassis, but you do what you can do.

Dunerunners are the only real Large Scale 4X4 buggy except for the new LOSI Desert racer that have a chance on tracks. The Desert racer is a great little buggy from what I've seen so far, but bigger counts in bump and grind racing. The other 4X4 buggy from Europe everyone was expecting so much from last year was getting run over in the Large Scale West Coast Champonships. Tire tracks run over. Too small to compete. 5iVES are trucks and can't really be called a buggy with out lots of changes. Fix the chassis and Dunerunners will be hard to beat. And LOOK like a buggy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chief409

I have a T-Maxx with a reinforced brace, but there's tons of ground clearance between the axles. This brace replaces the stock plastic brace. I've thought about using angle bracing under the chassis, but a) the limited ground clearance, b) doubt any track would let you run, because of damage to other rigs, and c) risk of serious injury if it ran over someone's foot or flew off the track. Same risk of c) bashing, too.

To reinforce the back the brace will have to extend forward past the center diff, and all the way to the rear across the bottom of the chassis.

Pedal2themedal

Chief409 said:
I have a T-Maxx with a reinforced brace, but there's tons of ground clearance between the axles. This brace replaces the stock plastic brace. I've thought about using angle bracing under the chassis, but a) the limited ground clearance, b) doubt any track would let you run, because of damage to other rigs, and c) risk of serious injury if it ran over someone's foot or flew off the track. Same risk of c) bashing, too.To reinforce the back the brace will have to extend forward past the center diff, and all the way to the rear across the bottom of the chassis.
If that big son of a b**ch was flying at me the brace on the bottom would be the least of my worries, lol.

I only bash, no real large scale racing in central Kansas, hell I don't even know anybody that has one.

I bought those yesterday, then cancelled the order, but the seller didn't get the memo and shipped them anyway so I might try it and see how much ground clearance I would be losing and if it looks like it would even be making a difference. I think your original idea of doubling the chassis would work the best, but I don't have anything available right now to fabricate it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts