• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Pro's and Con's of the Dune Runner 4x4

bpohl

I am currently looking at moving up to the 1/5 scsle size buggies. Currently looking at two possibilities right now. Looking at the Dune Runner 4x4 and the Smartech Thunderbolt 4x4. Want some good opinions on the Dune Runner? Its longer and wider than the Thunderbolt and being 4wd is really got me interested. Looking at some pictures of the Dune runner, I am really curious how the shaft drive to the front is holding up. Looks like it just has a coupler right over the fuel tank? Also tire options. Is it possible to go to a more aggressive tire on the front? Not necessarly wider but more aggressive. I believe I read some were u can change the hubs to HPI to have more of a tire option? I won't be racing it just use it for fun, but living by the coast it will see a lot of sand time. Thanks for any info and opinions you can share.

G

You are correct. You can get better wheel & tire options by changing to a 24mm hex. The front drive doesn't take as much of a beating as the rear. I have never heard of that front shaft having issues. I'm sure if any one has they will chime in.

The 4wd makes a huge difference. It is the deciding factor for many when making the purchase.

RampageHopUps

We had some problems with the first batch 2 years ago, but no one has had problems since.

Gammo

I have the dunerunner & yes Hpi hubs fit......I took out my front diff i find its a much better buggy to just hammer around with rwd much more fun...You will love 1/5

bpohl

I doubt I will take the front diff out when I get mine. I am a 4wd guru and that's why I am considerin g the dune runner. Have been running trucks and truggies, but really wanted to go back to a buggy. My brother really got me back into this he has a 1/5 buggy from Kings hobby. So of course I started looking. Really appreciate all the help. Probably will be another couple weeks before I can order mine, but looking forward to it.

Bill_G

The Smartech Thunderbolt is cheap at Hobby King, but has some down falls in my opinion. Parts are hard to get, the Diffs are not sealed so they will only hold grease and the 28cc engine is a Smartech design, CY or Zenoah parts wont interchange to it and even the pull start is different. Nutech Racing took over the design and made some improvements, but they are pricey.

For a 4WD buggy the Redcats are budget friendly and very durable with easy to get parts.

Its Alex

i occasionaly break a pin in my dogbones(from the diff to the hub) but my engine had enough power to lift the front tires off the ground before and now i went bigger and im hoping to see a bigger difference. It wasnt doing a wheely but i could tell that the front really didnt get much traction and was hard to turn so maybe upgrading the tires would help. Also the dogbones above the tank hold up fine they don't take very much of a beating.

genevieve

Just thought I would throw in my two cents worth. Since I've switched to 1/5 my Dune Runner has been super solid. The drive line is really well built and quite beefy at that.

I originally had to decide between the DR and the Baja. Glad I went with the DR because the four wheel drives works so well. The only word of advice I would give is to vent the tank which is really easy and takes only a few minutes.

Once you tune the DR you can really beat this thing. You'll probably find that the back tires will wear quickly because this thing never stops spinning its tires. I purchased a few sets for the back and turn the first set into pavement slicks. Which ever you choose you will luv because all of the 1/5 scale stuff offers more of a real experience.

cheers and have fun.

Phill

genevieve said:
Just thought I would throw in my two cents worth. Since I've switched to 1/5 my Dune Runner has been super solid. The drive line is really well built and quite beefy at that. I originally had to decide between the DR and the Baja. Glad I went with the DR because the four wheel drives works so well. The only word of advice I would give is to vent the tank which is really easy and takes only a few minutes.

Once you tune the DR you can really beat this thing. You'll probably find that the back tires will wear quickly because this thing never stops spinning its tires. I purchased a few sets for the back and turn the first set into pavement slicks. Which ever you choose you will luv because all of the 1/5 scale stuff offers more of a real experience.

cheers and have fun.
Hi Genevieve

I found that in stock form the rear tyres are a smaller diameter than the front

Hence the tyre wear as the back is always trying to catch up.

4 equal sized tyres fixes it.

http://www.redcatrampageforum.com/showthread.php?t=13188

Chief409

I've had mine a couple of years. Two things:

1. The transmission

2. Rear chassis flex

I upgraded the power after I ran out the stock CY to a OBR 30.5 Full Mod Torque build with a Big Bore pipe. Finally have a Demon 2 speed which should hold up. Anything else was toast in a tank or two.

The rear of the chassis has LOTS of flex. The rear driveshaft ends up rubbing on the bottom of the engine crankcase. Enough to wear a grove.

My winter build this year is to address these problems. I have the Demon tranny, for the chassis flex I have a new chassis, then I'll cut off the rear of the old chassis, modify it and use it as a doubler.

Also I replaced the plastic tower at the diff with the Redcat optional aluminuim one to handle the increased torque.

The first thing I changed were the wheel hubs, to 24mm. I run Baja 5T tires on Proline rims.

PS: The electronics and servo's. Replace them ASAP. And get a Killer RC kill switch.

Last edited by a moderator:

rcgasser

I was at the track during the race caught the rear wheel of the driver in front hit the outside wall did a flip and a para-whet and a dose doe at the same time LMAO and this was the end result WOW it was cool!!!!!!! but this is the second chassis I have had and from the fist chassis just running on the track that soon the angle was off and as noted above the dog bone was rubbing on the bottom of the engine. So I have not used the new chassis yet to either beef up the rear or something better.

Phill

rcgasser said:
I was at the track during the race caught the rear wheel of the driver in front hit the outside wall did a flip and a para-whet and a dose doe at the same time LMAO and this was the end result WOW it was cool!!!!!!! but this is the second chassis I have had and from the fist chassis just running on the track that soon the angle was off and as noted above the dog bone was rubbing on the bottom of the engine. So I have not used the new chassis yet to either beef up the rear or something better.
The description certainly made me laugh!

I might look at some sort of steel reinforcing for mine after seeing that.

rcgasser

yes that sound like a great idea I was wondering if I could cut this at the bend then add it to the new chassis some kind of a way but then I will need all longer screws for everything in the rear. I am hoping that cheif409 come up with a master idea.

Phill

Maybe steel L section under the motor?

It will obviously need to go as far forward as possible to reinforce the bend.

Chief409

My plan is to take the original chassis, trim the side rails off, enlarge the mounting holes so the screws don't have to be changed, (they'll only mount in the chassis, not the doubler) and use JB Weld and some rivets to laminate the pieces together. Going from in front of the center diff, to the end. After looking at RCGASSERS pictures, the doubler might run to in front of the gas tank. And make some windows like I'm using on 5b sand buggys to reinforce the cage and make it stiffer. It'll add weight, but should still be lighter then a 5IVE, and the body will still fit.

Man, that's a nasty wreck.

I need to get a band saw, and a rivet gun + bucking bar, so with other things going on, it'll be a winter project.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chief409

BertR said:
Hey Chief! Thought you forgot about us over here....
Heck no. Just been in Baja land, and waiting for the Demon tranny. Quit throwing money at tranny's that kept blowing up with the power I put in the Dunerunner.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts