• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Proper Servicing and Storage Prep of an Engine

Cain

Well, i finally have rejoined the 1/5 scale Gas Ranks. Got an MT V3 on the way.

Since in general I give all my vehicles a full teardown and rebuild, I plan to do this with my used purchase.

What I am wondering as I am pretty new to Gas in general other than the MCD I had for a short while is what are the steps I should take when examining my engine and cleaning it up / prepping it for extended storage if needed?

I plan to most likely leave the vehicle up at my in-law's ranch and drive it when I am up there, so after each use I want to have it cleaned up and ready to go when I return.

Thanks for any advice beforehand.

I am no expert but it is basically a chain saw / weed eater motor, which a lot of people store all winter (for weed eater) with little to no prep.

I recommend not leaving fuel in it. The battery for the steering+throttle should be disconnected, and to avoid flat spotting the foam in the tires store it on something that puts the weight on the frame.

G

Yep, store it clean, dry. I run the fuel dry after every run if its going to sit more than a month. Store it on a stand, helps to avoid suspension arm warpage. The batter will loose power just sitting, so will always need to be topped off. If you run a lipo pack, store at 50%.

Cain

Thanks for the info. Remembering the "joy" of nitro that I had once, I remember using afterrun oil and stuff to prep it for storage, etc. So wasn't sure.

Is there anything I should do specific for the pipe?

Also, do you recommend any substance to help get the engine "dry"?

For batteries, will be using NIMH packs, but in general run electric all the time so should be set there to maintain them.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts