• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Problem while charging my battery? Any suggestions?

Deluge

Yannik said:
Great, a big thank you for your patience with my questions. I have more trust in the charger now that you clarified several things for me!!
Anytime, dude.

Nowheretogojs

For my receiver packs I Discharge before I charge them just so I know my charger is putting in a full charge. I use a tail light bulb(from any car really) with leads soldered to tamyia connector, Normally runs a high enough draw to discharge in good time(if you wish to discharge quicker add bulbs on a daisy chain). Also you wish your receiver pack to last longer the slower the discharge it will get used to that rate and tend to come down at similar rate during use. I have never tested this but has worked for years. For charging Deluge is right about the peak detection. So you may want to lower the charge amps to keep from heating the pack. This is the reason heli guys and electric racers have switched to lipos they have less of a memory and have much higher discharge rates. But the down side is they heat allot more and you can damage them if discharged too far. The mHa on the packs is a measurement of how many milli amps per hour can be drawn from a certain voltage to a lower limit(I may not be 100%). Also the pack may charge to a higher mHa to reach a target voltage. So the numbers may vary depending on cell quality and age. I say age due to the substances used in them will degrade over time and loose their spunk.

Deluge

Nowheretogojs said:
For my receiver packs I Discharge before I charge them just so I know my charger is putting in a full charge. I use a tail light bulb(from any car really) with leads soldered to tamyia connector, Normally runs a high enough draw to discharge in good time(if you wish to discharge quicker add bulbs on a daisy chain). Also you wish your receiver pack to last longer the slower the discharge it will get used to that rate and tend to come down at similar rate during use. I have never tested this but has worked for years. For charging Deluge is right about the peak detection. So you may want to lower the charge amps to keep from heating the pack. This is the reason heli guys and electric racers have switched to lipos they have less of a memory and have much higher discharge rates. But the down side is they heat allot more and you can damage them if discharged too far. The mHa on the packs is a measurement of how many milli amps per hour can be drawn from a certain voltage to a lower limit(I may not be 100%). Also the pack may charge to a higher mHa to reach a target voltage. So the numbers may vary depending on cell quality and age. I say age due to the substances used in them will degrade over time and loose their spunk.
I used to do that years ago when I raced 10th scale buggies. It works well. Now, I just run until the pack is drained. I charge all my packs at 1.5A. You get a better charge with low amps and it won't false peak.

Yannik

Hi Deluge,

I'm trying to upload a video but I don't know what format of video the site accepts, all I saw was jpeg, bip, doc & other text formats? I can also send it by email if something! The video clip is approx 5 mb.

Tks

Last edited by a moderator:

Yannik

almost done...

Deluge said:
What site? Upload it to Youtube or Photobucket and post the link here.
Alright, I will upload the video to my YouTube account and I'll post the link right away after. I got one small thing to figure out and I'm done!! :D :D :D

Yannik

Strange sound when I turn my transmitter's switch to ON!

Hi Deluge,

I just installed a Kill Switch and a new Futaba 3rd channel receiver. When I turn the receiver switch to On, everything is normal, there a speaker and a light flashing/beeping from the Kill Switch. When I turned my transmitter to On, you can notice a weird sound that seems to come from the servo but I'm not a 100% sure. Do you have an idea of where the sound could come from and/or how to fix the issue?? I've made a short video clip so I can show you what I'm talking about. The second time I turned it On, you could hear it way better without the speaker.

Thanks,

Yannik

Ps: Please, don't mind my french accent! :)

http://youtu.be/HDWOMad1PEA

Deluge

You're running dual steering servos. More than likely they're fighting each other. Try disconnecting one of the steering linkages temporarily see if they stop buzzing. If it stops, you need to adjust the steering linkages until they buzz as little as possible. You won't get it absolutely perfect, though. They'll always be a little chatty.

Yannik

Wow, the truck never been started yet so it can't be a broken piece, it's just a setting, an adjustment like you said. Again, I have two small questions for you bro:

1) About the steering linkages I'll need to disconnect it temporarily. These wires are located in the receiver box, right?? :confused:

2) Do you know how to properly adjust the steering linkages?? I don't think we can adjust it with the transmitter itself!!

Thanks

Deluge

The linkage is the piece that connects the servo horn to the steering rack.

Here's a pic...

2ryiwja.jpg

Just shorten or lengthen the linkage until the servos stop buzzing.

Yannik

Awesome, thank you so much for showing me how to do this. I see that my wheels aren't straight so I will play with the linkage settings to see if it will help. It's in the middle of the linkage that I need to shorten or lengthen it so the servos can stop buzzing right??

REVOlutionary Rampage

Yes, there should be a flat spot on the link to the servo.it looks like a nut which you can adjust with a wrench to lengthen or shorten to stop the buzzing.

Yannik

REVOlutionary Rampage said:
Yes, there should be a flat spot on the link to the servo.it looks like a nut which you can adjust with a wrench to lengthen or shorten to stop the buzzing.
Thanks bro! That's where I taught it was so I'm glad that you've confirmed it for me! I've learned a lot from you guys because without this awesome forum, it would of been a nightmare trying to figured out everything, specialy the mechanical part! ;)

REVOlutionary Rampage

Deluge said:
I'd try to straighten the tires with the steering trim, first. If that doesn't help, these are what need to be adjusted... 2u8jckj.jpg
Ditto, I would also check the steering trim setting, before I changed the length of the links.

Yannik

Questions about Steering trim & Linkage??

Hi Deluge,

You've showed me two pictures, the first one showing the Linkages, and the second one showing the Steering trim.

Which one you want me to try first?? Also, the second picture you showed me, you said " If that doesn't help, these are what need to be adjusted... ". What are these things that needed to be adjusted? Can you please clarify these two questions I have, I would appreciate!!

Thanks in advance,

Yannik

PS: Like the first picture I've seen, where the adjustments or settings are located in the middle where there's a spot on the link to the servo. It looks like a nut which you can adjust it with a wrench to shorten or lengthen it. Is it the same way you adjust the settings on the Steering trim?

Thanks,

Yannik

Deluge

Steering trim is a radio adjustment. Look in your radio manual, it should tell you where the steering trim knob/button is located on the transmitter. The first picture i posted is a diagram of the servo linkages. The second picture is a diagram of the steering linkages. If you can't get the tires straight with the steering trim, you'll have to adjust the steering linkages. Yes, you adjust the steering linkages the same way you adjust the servo linkages.

Yannik

Thanks Deluge,

Cool, I understand where the Steering trim button is located on my radio. Without even touching the wheels on the Truck, I could already tell easily just by looking at both front wheels that they were croocked, not align so the only ways to make it straight is by playing with the settings you showed me for Steering linkage & the Servo linkages, right.

Another person I talked gave me this advice:

As far as adjusting the linkage, if your MT isn't tracking straight, you may want to remove the servo horn(s) from the servo, use your hands to line up your front wheels so they are pointing straight then re-attache the servo horn - have your Steering trim set to center and your radio/receiver turned on while doing this.

Should I try that ? Let me know what you think bro!!

Yannik :D

Yannik

Deluge said:
Steering trim is a radio adjustment. Look in your radio manual, it should tell you where the steering trim knob/button is located on the transmitter. The first picture i posted is a diagram of the servo linkages. The second picture is a diagram of the steering linkages. If you can't get the tires straight with the steering trim, you'll have to adjust the steering linkages. Yes, you adjust the steering linkages the same way you adjust the servo linkages.
Thanks Deluge,

Cool, I understand where the Steering trim button is located on my radio. Without even touching the wheels on the Truck, I could already tell easily just by looking at both front wheels that they were croocked, not align so the only ways to make it straight is by playing with the settings you showed me for Steering linkage & the Servo linkages, right.

Another person I talked gave me this advice:

As far as adjusting the linkage, if your MT isn't tracking straight, you may want to remove the servo horn(s) from the servo, use your hands to line up your front wheels so they are pointing straight then re-attache the servo horn - have your Steering trim set to center and your radio/receiver turned on while doing this.

Should I try that ? Let me know what you think bro!!

Yannik :D

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts