• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Paint

caveman

OK finally got the color paint I wanted and probably going to be a solid paint job I think. Waiting for a dry day and spray the body. Wondering what a good technique is to spray the body?

G

Wash the inside good. I just use some dish soap. I prefer the liquid mask but tape can be used. Several light coats. Then back it with white or silver. If you back it with a dark color it can change the final look. If you do multiple colors always start with the darkest color. There are a lot of cool painting tutorials on YouTube.

caveman

I'll take a look on you tube and was thinking on cutting out the windows and putting screen there.

G

I've seen some like that. It looks cool. Just remember the more you cut out the weaker the body becomes.

Guantanamo Joe

That is a cool idea, but I would worry about the "cab" of the body crushing the first time it learns to fly inverted. No matter how you drive it, at one point we all become pilots for a few seconds... lol

caveman

Yea I figured that, was going to do the front window and see how that goes. I'll do the paint and put decals on it.

teedog12

Guantanamo Joe said:
That is a cool idea, but I would worry about the "cab" of the body crushing the first time it learns to fly inverted. No matter how you drive it, at one point we all become pilots for a few seconds... lol
"Pilots" That's a good one, but w/our cars running on gas will that peel the paint (roll overs) or do you seal it w/something?

caveman

If you have the vent mod either form the cap or tank gromet and use a tube and check valve u should not have a leak. Some people zip tie the tube or hose pointing down that way in a tool over there's no leaks.

G

teedog12 said:
"Pilots" That's a good one, but w/our cars running on gas will that peel the paint (roll overs) or do you seal it w/something?
Yes. There is backing paint designed to seal in your paint job. Weather you are painting a factory or aftermarket body, if you want it to last, I recommend the mesh tape and shoe goo and or bedliner mod for extra support.

G

You start with using the drywall mesh tape on the inside of the body once it is sealed and had a day to dry. Once you have applied the mesh tape you coat it with either shoo goo or spray on bedliner. It can be bought at most automotive stores.

This is a members job (BertR) Came out great

5d309979.jpg

aae99a2a.jpg

caveman

Would you do the shoegoo after a sealer or would that be a sealer?

Nevermind just saw the pic

Last edited by a moderator:
G

You need to seal the paint job first. Let it dry for a good 24hrs. There are solvents in the shoe goo and bed liner. You don't want the solvents braking down the paint. Since the bedliner is a dark color you need to seal your paint job to keep the color true. A dark backer can show through a lighter color which can make it look dingy or change the color all together.

G

Just to clarify, a factory painted body would not need to be sealed first.

teedog12

I've used Faskolor Paint with their sealer and at the time "nitro fuel" would eat right through everything right down to the Lexan screwing up a many paint jobs. By the way Faskolor Paint is a water base paint.

teedog12

RCDAD said:
You start with using the drywall mesh tape on the inside of the body once it is sealed and had a day to dry. Once you have applied the mesh tape you coat it with either shoo goo or spray on bedliner. It can be bought at most automotive stores.This is a members job (BertR) Came out great

5d309979.jpg

aae99a2a.jpg
this looks like the way to go

G

BertR said:
I would have to say this is the best thing for these body's and makes them virtually bullet proof
This is the owner of this body.

I hope you don't mind me reposting your photos. :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts