• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Nurchburgler Xb build

Nurchburgler

RCDAD said:
Looks good to me!
Thanks..but just not good enough for me.

1st attempt is going on the buggy...second attempt will come after I try this out a little.

Next attempt I might do 1.5mm on both sides of the stock tower..smaller weave...better cf

Sergio

Nurchburgler said:
Carbon fiber towers...hmmmThe lesson I have learned is don't use cheap carbon fiber..more fiber glass than carbon....and I also learned that drilling this stuff makes it fray...

Gonna try a aluminum carbon fiber mix for now and make changes on the next set.

The tower looked alright till I drilled it :(

Oh we'll

Did you make that using the dremel router???

Nurchburgler

RCDAD said:
The two sandwiched together should be plenty strong.
Yeah..I used a dremel router table

Gonna sandwich them together as a temporary solution..gonna make a nice set at my leisure or I may have a small run Made of 5mm - 6mm towers.

Looking into it now ;)

Nurchburgler

From what I have been reading carbon fiber bonded to aluminum will cause a discontinuous metal condition..causing corosion...the molecules don't make friendly ;)

However as a temporary solution it will be (yoda)

Build coming hopefully Monday ;)

Chassis gonna wait for sale :)

Nurchburgler

Finished making first run of half carbon half aluminum 6mm towers.

They are a little rough..learning lol!

My advice is get a lot of bits..the carbide bits cut nice but dull quick and fray the fiber when dull.

Gonna get concave washers for front tower to cover up fray and just ugliness lol!

Last pic is of out drive cup rings.

Thanks to big fol

andyken

Nurchburgler said:
Finished making first run of half carbon half aluminum 6mm towers.They are a little rough..learning lol!

My advice is get a lot of bits..the carbide bits cut nice but dull quick and fray the fiber when dull.

Gonna get concave washers for front tower to cover up fray and just ugliness lol!

Last pic is of out drive cup rings.

Thanks to big fol

Did you make or buy the rings?

Nurchburgler

Obeast44 said:
Would a couple layers of masking tape over the carbon help with the fraying? I am liking the carbon rings, they look pretty sweet!
Prolly..the rear tower I drilled from the front and the front tower I drilled from the rear.

Learned that the bit busting thought he fiber caused the fraying on the front one.

Also when doin the finish work sanding the edges it was best to leave about a 1/16 inch and then use the original metal one as a guide to get a smooth sanding line.

My next towers I will do all carbon fiber.

Nurchburgler

andyken said:
Did you make or buy the rings?
Bigfol has a thread talking about these rings. Bought the carbon fiber tube from china on eBay (took a while to get here)

Cut em...and gonna epoxy em to my cups

G

Not too bad man! I think they look pretty cool.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts