• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

mt tires and foams. saw dust?

kryptonite

so has any body "emptied" the saw dust out of their mt tires? ya, i pulled my tires couse they felt funny. some were hevy'er then others.(they werent wet) what a suprise, the foams had turn into dust. they were still in one peice, but very thin and what a mess i made.

-so, is their anything better i can use for foams? i would like something lite thats not going to fall apart. and we cant buy just the foams can we?

- do any other mt tires fit on the ramp wheels?

Clubin

Banned
The FG ones are wider, but they turn to $#!t after a year so too.

How would it be with the foams out? Probaly not very good.

str8jailbird

Are you guys glueing your foam to the wheels??? I shoe gooed mine as I do my Baja's and this increases the life a little. Maybe the Ramp foams are prone to "dusting" as the Pro-lines are for the 5B.

kryptonite

str8jailbird said:
Are you guys glueing your foam to the wheels??? I shoe gooed mine as I do my Baja's and this increases the life a little. Maybe the Ramp foams are prone to "dusting" as the Pro-lines are for the 5B.
here is my post a little while back http://www.redcatrampageforum.com/showthread.php?t=563

it refers to the same thing. the best answer i got was from clubbin about keeping the water out wich i took his advise.. no water. but becouse of my "red loc-tite" accedent i had to take off the tires to put on a new rim and WOW!! just like in my old 5b tires the foams just fall apart. i think i have about 5 tanks so far and i have 1 good foam insert left. but you cant just buy the insert! and no clubbin, i tried with out the insert and its not even worth putting the beadlocks on. im going to look for some type of foam, but i would strongly sugjest taping the foams like we do for the 5b.

kryptonite

str8jailbird said:
Maybe the Ramp foams are prone to "dusting" as the Pro-lines are for the 5B.
i think they are, but we don't have to swap tires as often so nobody really notices. i noticed something wrong couse 3 tires were kinda lumpy

yolonda21

Contributor
I bought a spare set (4) of tires for my mt, and they came with 2 different types of foams in them. It was a sad day. :mad: The one in the top left is very hard and compact, the others are soft and fluffy

dbde8bd7.jpg

e443ea1d.jpg

Clubin

Banned
yolonda21 said:
I bought a spare set (4) of tires for my mt, and they came with 2 different types of foams in them. It was a sad day. :mad: The one in the top left is very hard and compact, the others are soft and fluffy
dbde8bd7.jpg

e443ea1d.jpg
Nice sock's.

Looks like they maybe changing the material and you got a midstream set.

kryptonite

those things are pretty damn big!! i think you would have to trim down the tire bead and im not sure how it would fit in the beadlock..

IMADMAN

I have used both the black insulation around copper water pipes and the Floatie foam noodles you find at wally world, they work well for the cost and their a lot firmer. It takes time to cut and glue though.

kryptonite

IMADMAN said:
I have used both the black insulation around copper water pipes and the Floatie foam noodles you find at wally world, they work well for the cost and their a lot firmer. It takes time to cut and glue though.
are the foam noodles wide enough for the mt? im gona check that out later. did you use shoe glue?

IMADMAN

kryptonite said:
are the foam noodles wide enough for the mt? im gona check that out later. did you use shoe glue?
No i'm a cheap ass, I had a can of industrial spray glue from a job site, I think 3m makes it, for the stock baja tires I also used duct tape on the inside carcass to help lessen the "balloning".

mooman007uk

Banned
you can get high density foam from car/boat upholsterers, they have all different firmness and thicknesses, I'll have to check my foams out now...it's something I'd not even thought about.

kryptonite

well, becouse i couldnt buy just the foams i had to make my own. i used pipe insulation. but the real soft one the had. it feels like memory foam, but is slightly heaver then the stock ones. not by much, but thats the last thing we need, more un-sprung wieght! i wasnt a big fan of doing this but had little choices. i think it came out great and should hold up till i get new rockstars and tires.. i used shoe glue and spray adhesive to stack them and wrapped the tire side with athletic tap

foams shop dog 009.jpg

foams shop dog 007.jpg

foams shop dog 005.jpg

/monthly_2009_02/583c60558eda8_foamsshopdog009.jpg.e30576d57a61221876aa4e43a7ca8fff.jpg

/monthly_2009_02/583c605590ad4_foamsshopdog007.jpg.a3a68178d876141f77b204d0316f088e.jpg

/monthly_2009_02/583c605592a6a_foamsshopdog005.jpg.c8de7205cdfa3a41643e1d8816053f01.jpg

DemonRC

I havn't gotten my Rampage yet but the foams look like the Proline foams which don't last very long with moisture. I found out the hardway when buying Badlands for the Baja.

Gas Jocky

Well I fell victim to the foams this weekend....ran my truck last weekend in wet conditions, did the usual maintenance over the week and was putting the wheels back on Sunday morning to go play..... Picked up one of the wheels and it felt real odd, so I opened it up and guess what I found....UUGH! no rc'in for me yesterday!

tirefoam003.jpg

Gas Jocky

Yah funny ha ha! I was thinking about using a set of old HPI foams and making up the difference in size with some kind of foam maybe like what you would use on top of a mattress..you know the stuff is about 1 1/2 thick?? cut it into strips the width of the tires and glueing the butt ends together, like a two stage firmness soft on the outer and firm close to the wheel rim. I don't know lol!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts