• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

mt/pro 4 build

Ron E

Contributor
well in 08 I bought one of the first mt's available from Rob at rampagehopups. I never ran it and started collecting hop ups for it and it turned to a bigger project than I ever imagined, so big that I bought a tt to run while I built the mt. now the parts collection is complete and it's time to assemble/build this thing.

parts list: upgrade kit, ramtech springs, mcd gears, hpi 8k clutch springs, fast eddy bearing kit, rc screws kit, all redcat aluminum available - de-anodized, moo modded diff cups, ram-tech susp arms, hi-tec servo's, hard bodies roll bar, 28.5cc kit, sprint77 modded dom, python billet pull start cover, proline desperado's & excavators, 2.4 radio, shock oil = 40 & 50 wt, diff fluid, 3k, 5k, 7k, 30k & 50k, aa battery holder springs for centering dog bones and an hpi air filter... only things left I can think of is the killer b kill switch, desert rat or asgard body and maybe the 5mm shock shaft conversion.

gotta get ready for the scrapyard in june, i'd like to have both rampages looking good and well sorted before I go.

ronsmt001.jpg

ronsmt002.jpg

ronsmt003-1.jpg

ronsmt004.jpg

Attachments

• ronsmt001.jpg
    ronsmt001.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 0
  • ronsmt002.jpg
    ronsmt002.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 0
  • ronsmt003-1.jpg
    ronsmt003-1.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 0
  • ronsmt004.jpg
    ronsmt004.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:

Obeast44

Banned
Damn dude looking good!!! Us rampage guys are gonna rock the Scrapyard in June! I got dibs on 1st place! JK....Id be content with second :D

Thats an impressive build thats for sure.

Ron E

Contributor
Obeast44 said:
Damn dude looking good!!! Us rampage guys are gonna rock the Scrapyard in June! I got dibs on 1st place! JK....Id be content with second :D
Thats an impressive build thats for sure.
thanks dude, I hope to go to the scrapyard once or twice before june 4-5... now the plan is to just watch you race and run on the fun / mild track with my rigs, BUT, if practice is good and i'm not to far outclassed I might consider racing, maybe... it's been over 20 years since i've run a rc on a track. I raced 1/10 off road way back and just bashed / played since but my motorcycle racing days are about done so i'm thinking large scale rc may be next. :D

oh ya, ordered a set of front and rear chassis braces from sprint77 and forist... hope to get one or both sets before spring. also once together I may see about having my cousin make another aluminum cage like the one on the tt.

Obeast44

Banned
Its looking like Saturday March 13 is going to be the day me and a friend make the drive up to do some testing. Just picking a random day, if that sounds good let me know. I know Rob64 was thinking of meeting us as well. Itd be nice to run with a bunch of friends up their prior to the big event.

Ron E

Contributor
i'll check the work and wifey scedules and if at all possable make it. sounds like a great time plus i'd love to check out large scal rc. I might even drop off the mt and have them build it if I don't have time by then. that way I can concentrate more on getting the tt ready to run... it needs a kill switch and 2.4 radio installed... and maybe some of the upgrade kit? thanks for the invite and i'd love to run the tt and meet you all. :D

pwaicon

You are going to have yourself on nice looking MT Ron. It is almost going to be a shame to run it, almost. Some things came to mind looking over your pics. I know some people have issues with the throttle linkage hitting the HPI filter so you might want to pick up a shreadstack for the HPI filter; it is angled so air filter won’t interfere with the throttle linkage (http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.6573/.f). Also I am not sure if those are V1 shock, if they are V1 shocks you might want to upgrade to the newer shock shafts as the V1 used some really weak c-clips that will break and leave you MT bouncing all over the place.

Ron E

Contributor
pwaicon said:
You are going to have yourself on nice looking MT Ron. It is almost going to be a shame to run it, almost. Some things came to mind looking over your pics. I know some people have issues with the throttle linkage hitting the HPI filter so you might want to pick up a shreadstack for the HPI filter; it is angled so air filter won’t interfere with the throttle linkage (http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.6573/.f). Also I am not sure if those are V1 shock, if they are V1 shocks you might want to upgrade to the newer shock shafts as the V1 used some really weak c-clips that will break and leave you MT bouncing all over the place.
thank you sir and yes they are v1 shocks and soon i'll be doing the 5mm conversion on both rigs. also going to order a shreadstack for the mt to go along with the 813 carb i bought for it. later i'll upgrade the tt to the shreadstack also, for it i trimmed the steering servo arm and run my linkage crossed and it doesn't hit... but it's close. thanks for the kind words and the mt wont see as much use as the tt, not a shelf queen, but close. :D

update 2/20/10:

thanks pwaicon, got the shreadstack and limiting straps for the susp, will mod shocks soon. thanks for the advise and with the help of people like you, sprint77, moo, hamster, obeast44, rampagehopups and many, many more here i'm building (funding at least) a pretty cool rampage.

hamster huey

Youll like the excavators. They have soft inserts instead of the hard ones 5b tires have. Coming off a jump its nice to think the tires/inserts absorb some of the landing. I believe they offer some "give" under full acceleration which is easier on the drivetrain in my opinion. Some of those super grip ultimate traction hard insert tires put too much power/stress through the 4wd drivetrain becuase there is less "give", thats my theory. Did you have to buy the aluminum pro parts all individually? Whats the engine plan?

Ron E

Contributor
Martin said:
Nice stuff..!!! It promises to be another one of a nice MT.
thank you sir, it's nice to hear these words from all you guys that have such nice rc's... ya know we spend a lot of $ on these rigs and should be really proud of them. thanks again for all the nice comments. no matter what 5th scales I have next this mt will always be special to me, it was my first. :)

Ron E

Contributor
hamster huey said:
Youll like the excavators. They have soft inserts instead of the hard ones 5b tires have. Coming off a jump its nice to think the tires/inserts absorb some of the landing. I believe they offer some "give" under full acceleration which is easier on the drivetrain in my opinion. Some of those super grip ultimate traction hard insert tires put too much power/stress through the 4wd drivetrain becuase there is less "give", thats my theory. Did you have to buy the aluminum pro parts all individually? Whats the engine plan?
bought all the aluminum at one time from rampagehopups, it was blue and copper so I de-ano'd all of it. I like the excavators, look realistic and I wanted a taller desert truck look with out the weight of a monster truck tire. engine is a stock 23 with a 28.5 kit, sprint modded dom, phatdad shreadstack and 813 carb. gonna try 27/33 mcd gears. also just got some shock limiting straps ordered from DDM. now i'm boxing it all up and shipping it to Obeast44 so he can assemble, break in and set up for the scrapyard, I just don't have time and I want it done right. I'll get it from him when we go march 13th for some practice time. can't wait to see my truck finally done, i've never ran it. :eek: :D :rolleyes:

Obeast44

Banned
Ron E said:
bought all the aluminum at one time from rampagehopups, it was blue and copper so I de-ano'd all of it. I like the excavators, look realistic and I wanted a taller desert truck look with out the weight of a monster truck tire. engine is a stock 23 with a 28.5 kit, sprint modded dom, phatdad shreadstack and 813 carb. gonna try 27/33 mcd gears. also just got some shock limiting straps ordered from DDM. now i'm boxing it all up and shipping it to Obeast44 so he can assemble, break in and set up for the scrapyard, I just don't have time and I want it done right. I'll get it from him when we go march 13th for some practice time. can't wait to see my truck finally done, i've never ran it. :eek: :D :rolleyes:
I will do my best on the build man. It looks like you got everything covered thats for sure. Its gonna be a nice one :)

Ron E

Contributor
Obeast44 said:
I will do my best on the build man. It looks like you got everything covered thats for sure. Its gonna be a nice one :)
YAY... :D

man, I can hardly wait, it's gonna be great to meet you guys and get my truck.

Ron E

Contributor
well I traded my brushless e-maxx for this xtm/firehammer buggy with 2 asgard custom painted bodies, the stock body/wing, and a bunch of extra's... I really wanted the bodies for this project... they just happen to come with a buggy. :D

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=602015

now it's almost complete, the body was the last piece of the build.

i'll post pics of the buggy and both bodies when I get them, shipped the e-maxx off this am.

ParkerNT

Ron, gonna look awesome with the all silver Alum! If I ever get tired of my blue Alum I'll go the same direction. How exactly does one go about de-anodizing Alum?

Parker

Ron E

Contributor
hot water and drano crystals is what I used. took a bowl put some hot water in it, dumped in a little drano crystals (from walmart) swished around a few seconds, srubbed with soaped sos pads and rinsed in viniger/water. theres a better link somewhere on the de-ano process.

some use easy off in the yellow container. I did not.

Obeast44

Banned
Heres a little teaser vid, Its not 100% yet but damn close. I still have to mount the rear body post, countersink the chassis for the Ramtech suspension holders, add new fuel line and few other little tidbits.

Also its crappy lighting I know. But hey im using a $15 Keychain micro camera.

Ron E

Contributor
nice man, thanks. you don't waste any time, workaholic... I spend a yr and a half taking it apart and collecting parts and you build it in 2 days... freak.

new spektrum dx3e radio on the way with killerb v1 kill switch and a couple other missing parts.

Ron E

Contributor
just wanted to show my new asgard bodies... traded these and an xtm 1/6th buggy for my brushless e-maxx.

rampagettcage022.jpg

:D dude does some nice paint work, these pics don't show all the colors and ghost flames through out... I can't wait to run this truck with a new aluminum custom cage and the green flamed body. should be cool.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.