• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

MT bashing & new parts

G

JB RACER

I bought the hand held starter at lowes because my drill didn't spin fast enough they don't come with that red ring your talking about I think that's only if you use with a drill

G

Is the bit removable in the hand held starter, or is it fixed?

jonathan13

I was actually coming in here to post and let you guys know the troy built starter from lowes does NOT work. I received it today and it is in fact too short :( the bit is fixed within it so unless we could find an attachment to lengthen it, it is useless to us. This sucks because I bought it used on ebay so there is no returning it. Oh well. Tomorrow I will be going out to get an 18v drill and a bit for it.

G

That's good to know.

jonathan13

Valuable information for you guys. Only cost me $31 to pass along this great knowledge to you guys lol. I do plan on messing with it tomorrow to try and figure out a way to modify it so it will work. I will let you guys know if I come up with anything that works.

jonathan13

I've got it apart and once it is apart it does have the length to work. The next task is to figure out how to encase it different and make it safe.

jonathan13

This is my first prototype, and YES it does work. (Spins the engine) At this point though after modifying it this far just doesn't make sense when you can spend $20 more and just get a drill. If any of you already have this and need a way to make it work then this is a good option for you.

jonathan13

So far it doesn't seems to have enough power to turn it quick enough to get the engine going. BUT, it most definitely needs to be charged. I guess we will let it charge over night and see if it is a viable option.

jonathan13

Well the prototype was a failure. Lol... This thing just simply does not have the power to start our engine. It sounded like it was getting close and then I started to smell something funny. I looked down and in my left hand the battery pack was smoking. This probably had something to do with the fact that I had it smothered with electrical tape, but nevertheless this is not a viable option.

jonathan13

Bit the bullet and got a nice 1,400 rpm drill. It was only $89 and came with 2 batteries, a flashlight, a set of bits, and a carrying case. Not too bad.

jonathan13

Update: the Hitachi already broke. Not recommended. Went to Home Depot and got a Ridgid 18v lithium.

jonathan13

It was my fault. I had too many variables going at once. Swapping all those engine parts and the method with which I start my engine at the same time is not a good idea.

I should have learned to properly use the new starter before I went adding parts that would require tuning. Nevertheless, lesson learned. The Walbro 990 truly does wake up the bottom end of the powerband. I definitely still need to do some more tuning but as for now, I'm just elated to see her run.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts