• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Measuring squish when re-installing head.

G

ChuenouXiao said:
So when its scented... even when the engine burns the fuel.. the exhaust from the engine still smells like bubble gum?
Yes it sure does! Try it you'll like it! :D

ChuenouXiao

Almost completely assemble my XB together! :D Only thing I need is the chassis guard on both side and measure the squish, then I am ready for break in :D (I should of went to the store and bought it but I ordered it.. so its taking its time :D regarding the solder and caliper. Plus Radio Shack takes forever to ship.) I figured that the reason my pulley kit is giving me problem is because when you tighten the set screw for the front gear and if its sitting to close to the gear plate bearing.... it will make your car lock up like its breaking. I fixed this and reset my set screw brakes to perfection :D Can't wait to start her up!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Cool man! You've got to be excited to get her running again. I know I would be. I hope every thing goes as planned. You have put some work into her now. Keep us posted! :)

ChuenouXiao

And about the teflon gasket installed on my carb. I used both teflon gasket. I was just curious if this will effect my tune on my carb. Do I have to slightly re-edjust or re-tune to perfection? Or does it not effect my previous tuning at all? :D

Deluge

ChuenouXiao said:
And about the teflon gasket installed on my carb. I used both teflon gasket. I was just curious if this will effect my tune on my carb. Do I have to slightly re-edjust or re-tune to perfection? Or does it not effect my previous tuning at all? :D
You should re-tune anytime you install a new part on the engine.

Deluge

ChuenouXiao said:
About the digital caliper, should I use the external or internal jaw to measure the solder?
External jaw. Remember to measure the solder at the flattest point.

ChuenouXiao

Dam Radio Shack taking forever to ship my solder (BTW I think its almost here... prob this coming monday)... I should of went inside and bought the dam thing :D But because I work too much and don't have time... I decided to order it instead and waste more money on shipping :D The shipping cost more then the actual product lol!!! I decided to order because on my work days I can't run my XB anyways so I didn't even bother. Stores will be close and it will be dark by the time I get home.

ChuenouXiao

Guys... finally measured my squish. Because I didn't take off the head I measured it a couple time to make sure I'm getting an accurate reading. On the pull start side I'm reading .023 and the clutch pad side I'm reading .019 :D Looks good... will fire her up today if I can :D

G

Awesom! Your about there.

ChuenouXiao

Ok guys... I went to the park to try to break it in... here's what happened.

1. Pump fuel into engine and it didn't start so I put fuel inside my engine.

2. Yanked the pull start and it started but right after the fuel inside the engine is burned up the engine dies. (I did this twice I think)

3. So I put in fuel through the spark plug again and try to start it back up but this time it starts and seem to idle a bit longer.... with that accomplished I riched the LSN about a one hour turn (turned counter clockwise) and it seem to idle higher. (note this needle adjustment is base off of my last known good needle setting)

I was happy that my engine is at-least idling for break in... so after 3 or 4 min of idling the engine cuts off. After that I couldn't start her up and was tire so I came home. Will troubleshoot at another time. Your thoughts guys? I understand never tune your engine base off when its cold but when its warm. I may have to reset to factory setting and tune from there. Please tell me your thoughts guys. Thanks.....

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Yes I would have started with the base settings. You need it like that to brake in the new cylinder.

Glad to hear you got her to start.

desismileys_1017.gif

ChuenouXiao

RCDAD said:
Yes I would have started with the base settings. You need it like that to brake in the new cylinder.Glad to hear you got her to start.

desismileys_1017.gif
Thanks RCdad :D Now I'm a pro in engine rebuild? LOL! J/K.... hey I reset the needle to default according to Sean from OBR's specification. That is LSN 1 1/8 out and HSN 1 5/8 out. Guess what? Once it was reset... I yanked the engine on cold start for like four or five time.. the engine cuts right on :D And seems to idle really good too. I have hope that I should be alright now. Because it was inside my house... I cut the engine off in less then 1 min. Will test her out tomorrow at the park I guess :D

G

That awesome Chue. Now you will be able to sleep better tonight. Unless your like me, and can't stop thinking about running it the next day. LOL

ChuenouXiao

RCDAD said:
That awesome Chue. Now you will be able to sleep better tonight. Unless your like me, and can't stop thinking about running it the next day. LOL
To be honest with you... I take pride in my RC XB :D It drives me to work harder so I can upgrade it :D It keeps me going.... something to enjoy life with. Life is too short... we have to enjoy it as much as we can :D It's sure is a satisfying hobby :D

G

I completely agree.

desismileys_6171.gif

Deluge

ChuenouXiao said:
Guys... finally measured my squish. Because I didn't take off the head I measured it a couple time to make sure I'm getting an accurate reading. On the pull start side I'm reading .023 and the clutch pad side I'm reading .019 :D Looks good... will fire her up today if I can :D
So you're at about .021". Sounds about right.

Deluge

ChuenouXiao said:
Ok guys... I went to the park to try to break it in... here's what happened.1. Pump fuel into engine and it didn't start so I put fuel inside my engine.

2. Yanked the pull start and it started but right after the fuel inside the engine is burned up the engine dies. (I did this twice I think)

3. So I put in fuel through the spark plug again and try to start it back up but this time it starts and seem to idle a bit longer.... with that accomplished I riched the LSN about a one hour turn (turned counter clockwise) and it seem to idle higher. (note this needle adjustment is base off of my last known good needle setting)

I was happy that my engine is at-least idling for break in... so after 3 or 4 min of idling the engine cuts off. After that I couldn't start her up and was tire so I came home. Will troubleshoot at another time. Your thoughts guys? I understand never tune your engine base off when its cold but when its warm. I may have to reset to factory setting and tune from there. Please tell me your thoughts guys. Thanks.....
Always start from the base settings when you install a new head, etc. You shouldn't let it idle for that long, you'll foul a plug.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts