• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Mad Max Dune Runner

alfred e numan

Doubtful if this could remotely be a issue with the magnets on the flywheel-- I have seen places in the desert - Quartsite area, where there was magnetic particles in the dust-sand dirt.- usually in sand washes where there was black sand.- just saying.

Chief409

I don't expect a magnet problem the way the mag gets pulled down on the business card. BUT, it's a possibility and after everything else I ran into, bad magnet has moved to the "maybe" category until this thing is running correctly.

Got the new mag in this afternoon. Saturday is work on buggy day - I'll find out then.

I'm expecting LOUD NOISE out of the pipe!

Remember, "THINK POSITIVE!"

Last edited by a moderator:

Chief409

Got a question for all of you who live 2000' or so above sea level. What are you using for needle settings.

alfred e numan

I am @ 1,750 ft here. Most of the time the air is really dry. Not as dry as where you are. less moisture = more air %age wise. Its been running about 80-90 degrees here during the day- higher temps require leaner settings. shure ya know this- others may not. I run about 1, 1/8 on the main. about the same on pilot.- aa- slo adjustment needle.- Thing is tho- I do not have a single drop of junk gas on the place. In the r-c and the gas that eventually winds up in the weed eater- 1/2 VP-110 C -- 1/2 92 octane nonethanol- 32-1 ratio. This mix tends to run richer than junk gas, allowing me to lean the settings out further. This gives me a solid base line to work with--the gas i use. At my humble dwelling, every 10 degrees requires about 2 minuets change on the carb settings- using the hand on a analog clock as an example. This is with no change in moisture in the air. I am not actually chaseing the tune- I just keep the settings- air temp- moisture-ect put to paper- makes resetting a lot less time comsuming- just set and go.-- learned this many moons ago with dirt bikes- example- starting out @ the trail head @ 35 degrees-1,000 feet- going up into the sun where its 80-90+ degrees @ 8-9 thousand feet- and having the air filter getting dirty the entire time---

alfred e numan

We are back-- I got grub early this Am- had to put all the ice from the tce chest into the swamp cooler- feels good. have oversized central air-- but i need the moisture. sayy- your airforce-navy --?? I did not know this- there was a big time heatwave @ skyharbor a while back. On the news they said the heat grounded some of the smaller air craft- from lack of lift on take off.-and we thought we had it rough just tuning our cars in temp extremes----

Chief409

We have central air, and a swamp cooler with separate ducts that is the mainstay with RH averaging in the single digits during the summer.

I'm Navy Aircrew and a Private Pilot. What many non pilots don't know is that on real hot days the Density Altitude (the altitude the aircraft AND engine see) increases dramatically. For example: From years of experiance I know that flying from a airport here at a elevation of 2500' when the temperature reaches 103 degrees, the Density Altitude is over 8000 FEET! Some small, low powered aircraft will never get off the ground in those conditions. And if you leave the mixture at Sea Level settings, you will not only develop much less power, you'll foul the plugs. When I start the engine I lean the mixture as soon as it starts running to avoid fouling the plugs. Then before I start my take off roll I set the throttle to full and lean the engine until I reach peak CHT, go a bit futher till the CHT drops or the engine stumbles and richen the mixture to just rich of PEAK CHT. If the engine stumbles it may mean I didn't lean enough at idle and a plug or two may of fouled during taxi. Remember any engine can "Lean Seize". NEVER stay too lean at full power! We can do the same by listening or if the RC system supports it, by a CHT read out. Start at the recommended Low and High needle settings (on a stock 668 carb Low 1 1/4 turns, High 1 1/2 turns). Just have to do very small changes to the needles (Low first at idle just a twitch) then the High needle at full throttle until the engine runs lean (or the CHT peaks and drops at full throttle) then go back a twitch rich (CHT peaks and drops called Rich of Peak). You get the max power available with out danger of a "lean seize" or fouling the plug at idle.

NEVER, EVER RUN LEAN AT FULL THROTTLE FOR MORE THEN A FEW SECONDS!

alfred e numan

Wow! had no idea you are a pilot. What is CHT? I have no clue at all- exhaust temp? When we were all working at the sawmill- dry belt -green chain, we had the bucks to spend, we were in our 20s then. Mounter had a small pilots ticket. We would rent single engine - high wing craft and Mounter would fly- Over the lower foothills of the cascade range in eastern WA. Stallings had a hangover but wanted to go anyways- It was his first time- Mounter knew this and was buzzing around- we hit pockets of air that you could feel in your gut -- the g-forces. Stallings was a big guy-pulling green chain will do this to ya! Yea he started turning 3 shades of green- I was in the back seat- stallings was in co-pilot seat-What does he do when he finnaly had to up-chuck?- Tried to open the fricken door!! jessss!!! Mounter quickly yelled- gave hin a barf bag-- Yea, Mounter did good in life- got on to American -flying passenger jet.- Next high school reunion, i should go- and rehash old times---

Chief409

CHT. Cylinder Head Temp. I'm using the Traxxas TQi radio system, there's a wire loop you place around the cylinder, I place it at the top. Pretty accurate. If I had a turbo I'd look at EGT, Exhaust Gas Temp. A probe is better for measuring this. To read the information I got a used iPod and downloaded the Traxxas app.

It's interesting how people react to airsickness. Seems like big tough guys are the most prone, perhaps it's because "they ain't in charge". :)

Worked in a mill while in High School, including the Green Chain. You either are hard, or by the end of the day you're done. Set chokers, bucked, drove truck, it was a tough living. Friday nights were Fun!

Last edited by a moderator:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts