• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Mad Max Dune Runner

Chief409

This video convinced one guy to get a Dune Runner

Waiting for some parts, noting major, new sideguards, starter, have a 668 carb to replace the 990, carbon fiber extender for the right sideguard so the belt drive is better protected, installing a new HPI RX battery and a Killer RC power switch and waiting for word on a new or repaired GoPro, the USB port went bad, so I shipped it back on a RMA. And installing a 8k clutch. Hopefully the sideguards, starter and GoPro will arrive in time to have it back together and shoot video over the Memorial Day weekend.

Chief409

cordy said:
Nice vvideo.
Hoping to shoot another video there with the VRC Big Bore pipe soon. The Mad Max had a X-Can with silicon stingers in this video, and telling the truth, it ran faster then what the track would allow. But, if I can make a couple jumps doubles instead of singles, and triples instead of doubles... Pretty loose track though, might require paddles on the rear to do that.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

The DR has a long wheelbase, so I wouldn't hold your breath on the wheelies. :) You may see some while driving just not a power wheelie during take-off.

I run the 9500 spring in a couple of mine. The launch is great, but can be hard on those dogbones and cups.

Chief409

RCDAD said:
I run the 9500 spring in a couple of mine. The launch is great, but can be hard on those dogbones and cups.
That's good to know, so I don't think I'll try those. Been down for 3 weeks for the starter, being on the wrong end of a long supply chain, sucks.

Chief409

Waiting for the Plan B starter to come in from DDR, a Turtle Racing V2. Tracking shows it should arrive tomorrow. Saturday is work on the DR and then watch the NASCAR All Star Race. Sunday, I'll find out how much easier a 668 carb is getting started compared to the 990. LATE Sunday. Bud's are in the fridge for the race. No word yet on my GoPro, sent it in on a RMA Monday because the USB port died.

Wish there were wider wheels and tires available. With the power our engines have, with more rubber (plastic?) on the dirt, I think we'd have some REALLY WILD RIDES. We're not really concerned about ROAR in most cases. 'Sides, ROAR seems more concerned about keeping things stagnant, which is OK, but Innovation is King! Can't keep up, change.

Dreggsta

I was wondering why you switched carbs. What probs are you having getting your dr to start? Is it your climate?

Chief409

I'm sitting around 3000' in the desert. With the 990 I need to tune rich, and it's a narrow window for adjustment to get it started. That's where the Killer RC Power start REALLY became important. Then I need to lean. While I was at the Sand Drags I talked to Sean from OBR, he suggested a 668 carb. I run a OBR engine, so I'll listen to the GOD!

The V2 starter was SUPPOSED to arrive today, nada, hope it'll show tomorrow. I don't start any project without all the parts.

Chief409

Waiting for the last parts to get the Mad Max out of the shop. AND received a replacement GoPro Hero3 under warranty today. It'll be interesting. Will the Mad Max hit 60 MPH? Stand by!

GPS on the buggy and video of the run to follow.

Chief409

The package with the DDR 8K clutch didn't get dropped off at the local Post Office today, and ended up in Bishop. Sigh. It'll be here tomorrow. Then the engine comes out, the clutch, 668 carb, Turtle V2 pull starter, new fuel lines, fuel line disconnects and clunk filter go on Saturday, which is what I was planning on anyway. Too old to work to 2am after work when I start at 6am. If it takes too long Saturday (I have some chores to do around the house), it'll be running Sunday and ALL day Monday. Provided the clutch gets dropped off Friday. :)

Remember to have the American Flag Flying this Memorial Day weekend in Honor to those who Gave Their All to make this Country the Greatest in the World!

Chief409

From Bishop to Bakersfield and Rosamond overnight. Kudos to the Post Office for correcting a goof.

The HPI 8K clutch is installed

Spotted something, the driveshaft to the rear diff wore a groove in the bottom of the Zenoah.

And remember what this Holiday Weekend is about.

Absent friends.

Chief409

Today was supposed to be a play day, but that isn't happening. The Powerhouse wildfire is south of here, and the smoke and ash is really bad. Right now we have about 1/4 mile visibility in smoke here at the house. And we're 20 miles away from the fire.

Really feel sorry for the folks directly threatened by the fire, it exploded from less then 5,000 to 19,500 acres overnight.

Chief409

Well the fire is done, haven't had any sand storms for awhile (but my backyard track is nothing but marbles on hardpan now). Then OBR came up with a upgrade deal, so I'm taking my Powerstroke in to become a Pro Stroke Losi engine, when I pick up my custom OBR 5b buggy Monday.

The 30.5 is way to much for tracks, even a HY has enough power to out run a track, but since I live too far away to run on tracks regularly, but close enough to do Sand Drags at Devore... BINGO! Drags are something I have a bit of experience at anyway.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts