• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Lipo fire in the bedroom!

grizzledcamudgen

Hey, I just had my Lipo battery arch like crazy and blazed the wiring adapter!

I was plugging it into one of my elec. trucks and before I could get it seated it went up in smoke and flames!!! The bad part is I was doing this on my bed with the wife next to me! The bedroom filled with smoke and the cats took off and the wife freaked! :eek: :eek: :eek: HaHaHa Sounds like a bad horror movie! lol

Anyway, does anyone know why this did that? The battery is the correct one for the NIMH replacement! idk

Like I said in the Y-harness post!

This is how my day is going!

It melted my adapter to charge my NIMH battery! Crap! :mad:

This is a dangerous hobby! lol

Obeast44

Banned
Lipos are very potent batteries, they are somewhat stable of treated right but they can be a nightmare if they are abused. I always charge mine in an old cake pan to help avoid the potential for a problem.

csp1971

Contributor
1) you need a lipo bag: http://www.hobbypartz.com/lipoguard.html

2) don't charge the battery in your rc's. Always charge them in a place away from flammable stuff (like a clothing, rags, gas cans, etc.). I try and always charge mine in the middle of my garage floor.

3) have a fire extinguisher in your house near your charger

If you ever notice your pack seems "puffed" or a bit bloated, throw it away. Don't attempt to charge or discharge it.

Here is some great info on lipo's, plus a video of a lipo fire:

http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.html

grizzledcamudgen

pipeous said:
something was wired wrong it seems. takes a dead short to cause a fire
I believe the polarities were fine, the only thing we could come up with was an adapter wire I was using wasn't a large enough gauge (it was pretty small) and it couldn't handle the flow! I had just pulled it off of the charger with a full charge, so it was raring to go!

I'm ordering charging/storage bags for our Lipos, just to be safe!

and NO more plugging anything into anything on the bed!!!

"Just to let Lipo newbies know"

This kept burning and sparking even after it was unplugged from car!

It was actually worse!

pipeous said:
something was wired wrong it seems. takes a dead short to cause a fire
All of the plugs could only go on, one way! That is why "wire gauge" was thought to be the cause.

Last edited by a moderator:

grizzledcamudgen

csp1971 said:
1) you need a lipo bag: http://www.hobbypartz.com/lipoguard.html
2) don't charge the battery in your rc's. Always charge them in a place away from flammable stuff (like a clothing, rags, gas cans, etc.). I try and always charge mine in the middle of my garage floor.

3) have a fire extinguisher in your house near your charger

If you ever notice your pack seems "puffed" or a bit bloated, throw it away. Don't attempt to charge or discharge it.

Here is some great info on lipo's, plus a video of a lipo fire:

http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.html
Thanks, those are all good tips!

grizzledcamudgen

Obeast44 said:
Lipos are very potent batteries, they are somewhat stable of treated right but they can be a nightmare if they are abused. I always charge mine in an old cake pan to help avoid the potential for a problem.
I charge mine the same way!

I'm ordering some charging/storage bags for all of our Lipos! Just to be on the safe side!

lords

what charger were you using for the lipo?

you didn't change the rate of 4.2v each cell did you..

anyways hope you sort it.

this is my first WOW for real post on this..

i own 14 lipos 7.3-11.2 2s 3s and never had a problem

I even bulged a 11.2 3s 5000mah on a slash and let it cool down after a 15 min run and it recharged without a problem..

Last edited by a moderator:

grizzledcamudgen

lords said:
what charger were you using for the lipo?
you didn't change the rate of 4.2v each cell did you..

anyways hope you sort it.

this is my first WOW for real post on this..

i own 14 lipos 7.3-11.2 2s 3s and never had a problem

I even bulged a 11.2 3s 5000mah on a slash and let it cool down after a 15 min run and it recharged without a problem..
The charging went fine it was "I believe" a small wire I was using to plug it into my electric truck.

smoedog

Contributor
what where the specs on the lipo?

what were you charging it at?

was it puffed?

was the battery plugged into the power switch in the truck?

what kind of switch was it?

Ictinike

Just happened to me..... but I know why mine caught on fire, It was left plugged into my plane and was under charged..I had to set the charger to NiMH to get any juice in it....I walk to the fridge to get a drink...well this is what I came back to

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

grizzledcamudgen

Ictinike said:
Just happened to me..... but I know why mine caught on fire, It was left plugged into my plane and was under charged..I had to set the charger to NiMH to get any juice in it....I walk to the fridge to get a drink...well this is what I came back to
WoW! Your lucky nothing else caught! (or did it?)

Those batteries "demand" special attention! I give them it and probably go overboard (even more now) but better safe than sorry!

They can be very dangerous if the guidelines for them are not followed. I'm definitely not an expert on these batteries but there are very knowledgeable people on here regarding them.

I believe, in my case it was an underrated wire adapter I was trying to use which is what actually burned up and not the LIPO.

I'm glad all is ok, as it seems and your just out a battery and not a home! :)

Ictinike

Ohhh, yeah, that fire was totaly my fault...The batery pack was severly over discharged, and I tried to save $20 by forcing a charge

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts