• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

HSP Factory Engineering Meeting

bbuzzard

Contributor
Rob,

See if they are looking to add options for the Dune Runner's front tires. The need to have a similar pattern as the rears or aleast make them a harder compound all the way around. Do they want to lose money cause we switch to HPI hubs and using Baja tires? The rims on the Dune Runner are nice!

50mph

How about making the manual better, I have seen some sad manuals before but the one for the MT is in complete and needs better build instructions. Parts are great, drawings are OK but could have a little more detail listing by part numbers and not the very small pictures

Martin

fastlane said:
hold on martin this ain't a cheap ass clone! They are working on it like Rob said. Give it a chance but don't put it in the same class as a king motors clone or a baja of any kind.
Don'y worry, english is not my first language, and sometime I can explain bad what I want to say.

What I meant at the end, Is that a small diff cup can break easily, no matter the brand (as all see and some experienced)

I'm ready to buy a dunerunner, and I managed to convince a friend to buy one instead of another hpi, but we'll wait to see the result with the diff. output cup.

The reason is that as soon as we receive the dunnerunner, we plan to remove the engine direct out of the box, for him replaced it by a bigger one, and for me I will uppgrade the factory one, (reed, my own porting, etc...)

hamster huey

My birthday wishes:

1) rear chassis brace (maybe the front too)

2) one piece D shaft or one that doesn't wear itself apart

3) a true center diff (not a locked one)

4) aluminum gearplate without bearing slop

5) body that doesn't crack easily

Last edited by a moderator:

yolonda21

Contributor
I think your right.....last time I talked to Himoto they told me they would be closed more most of Febuary as well (2nd-25th) if my memory is correct... for Chinese new years. All orders had to be received before Jan 1st...But hopfully we here something soon....

kirkhayes37

The picture of the diff cup with the broken end where the pin goes in is how I ALWAYS break them. I have broke 5+ of them that way. So frustrating. I also agree with the solid layshaft. Those are by two big problems...But by far #1 problem is breaking the diff cup shafts where the pin goes in. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE fix this for us!

Rudihenriksen

solid layshaft +++++

Like the MCD :

And for the brakes :

Obeast44

Banned
I have a diff cup fix I think you guys will like. Its in the early stages and Im waiting on a few items to get a complete diff built. Once I do, I will post some pics. I will edit this post in an hour or so showing of pic of the shaft size difference. The stock diff housing, the stock spider gears, can be used, granted they have to be moddified. Im using Redcat Rampage Drive axles, shortened and drilled for a new pin. The shaft is almost twice the diameter as the stock diff cups.

Heres a pic of a modded diff housing, don't mind the size difference in bearings. Its all I had thatd fit the larger shaft :)

diffcup2.jpg

Heres a comparison shot, the modded Drive cup on the left and a stock Diff cup on the right. That shaft BIG enough for ya?

Diffcup1.jpg

The spider gears will need to be drilled out to fit over the shaft, and a pin hole still needs to be drilled. I also need a F/R diff crown gear and I don't know if I am willing to part with the $$$ just to "see" if this will work. Itd have to be drilled out as well to allow the shaft to slide through.

Martin

So... the bottom one is 12mm and 8mm on top?

Tomorow I will take a look at a Losi monster truck 1/8 diff cup, I sometime snap them with only a nitro engine, and I think they are 8mm..... If yes, that mean there is no way to keep 8mm cup on 1/5 scale without issue, but I guess they are 6mm, I hope.

Maybee the 10mm HPI would be easier to fit? but dogbone end ball are 14mm........

Another solution is to install a center diff.

Obeast44

Banned
Aye, Its a drive axle from the Rampage. So the cups are identical to the stock diff cups. I guess I will go ahead and order the stuff to complete a differential with the modded drive axles. Im leary about spending money on this considering I have one engine being ported/polished and am ordering a 30.5 4 bolt Zen when they are ready. I definitely don't wanna miss the boat on those. I will keep you guys posted.

EDIT: Just ordered the parts I needed to complete 1 differential. In total it would cost about $75 per differential to build them from scratch. Or you could spend $16 per differential and buy the drive axles and modifying the parts you already have. Youll also need 2 bearings per differential that are different than what a Rampage uses.

androidx1

So what is the problem exactly?

1. Are the actual diff cup shafts breaking?

2. Or is it the diff cups themselves.

3. Or is it number 1, then temper the shaft, then #2 becomes the week point. If so, has anyone tried diff cup rings which look like they get pressed or glued or both right to the OD of the diff cup??? See link below

http://innovativehobby.com/rampagedrivecupsaverpinretainersleeves12pieceset.aspx

csp1971

Contributor
androidx1 said:
So what is the problem exactly?
1. Are the actual diff cup shafts breaking?

2. Or is it the diff cups themselves.

3. Or is it number 1, then temper the shaft, then #2 becomes the week point. If so, has anyone tried diff cup rings which look like they get pressed or glued or both right to the OD of the diff cup??? See link below

http://innovativehobby.com/rampagedrivecupsaverpinretainersleeves12pieceset.aspx
I don't believe the cups are breaking, I'm sure someone has broken them, but it's the shaft that is breaking where the pin slides through more often.

I'm not sold on diff cup rings. Never have been. Some guys on here use them and like them.

pipeous

well the shaft is the big problem but if you screw up tempering it softens the cup part which wears extra fast, like a firehammer cup (we both know that one well enough eh Chris).

and drilling out the originals to take v2 size pins basically tempers them because I went through so many dremmel and drill bits getting them done lol... my thumb still has a sore spot from where I rammed a cone shaped dremmel bit into the bone, man that went in deep and so much blood.

csp1971

Contributor
pipeous said:
well the shaft is the big problem but if you screw up tempering it softens the cup part which wears extra fast, like a firehammer cup (we both know that one well enough eh Chris).
and drilling out the originals to take v2 size pins basically tempers them because I went through so many dremmel and drill bits getting them done lol... my thumb still has a sore spot from where I rammed a cone shaped dremmel bit into the bone, man that went in deep and so much blood.
I guess that makes sense. I had more trouble snapping dogbones on my Firehammer MT than the drive cups. Drive cups wore, but the dogbones snapped all the time. I've been running the ball drives or whatever those are called for quite awhile now with no problems.

I didn't have trouble drilling the drive cups out that I can recall. It seems to work pretty well. I'm trying to remember what I used.

Hopefully HSP comes up with a solution to this and a couple others that Rob has on the list. I'm looking forward to hearing what happens with the meeting.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.