• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

HSP Factory Engineering Meeting

RampageHopUps

OK folks, we are having meetings with the factory about some of the upgrades we want done for 2010. Here are the list of things they are changing:

1) Heat Treat on the dogbone cup shafts. If you have broken ones, please PM me a picture, so I can show the factory.

2) Changing the square drives from aluminum to steel.

3) Changing the gear shafts to a hardened steel.

4) Securing the dogbone pins with a set screw.

These seem to be the majority of the problems when going to 5+ Horsepower motors. We are hoping to get these done for January shipments.

kg2mb

Chassis with less overall flex,better bracing:)

forist

Contributor
Them 4 things sound good to me to start with. That is all I have had probs with would be very happy with them upgrades. Nice work!!!!!!!

RampageHopUps

An upgrade kit would be overkill. Not everyone has these 4 problems. The diff cups seem to be the biggest problem, but honestly, we haven't sold too many replacements to say that is a huge problem either. But, as you know, the sqeeky wheels getsw the grease, so may as well fix it for good.

yolonda21

Contributor
One peice "D SHAFT" is a must.......as well as diff problems....I will PM some pics after,i've got 6 or so broken ones on the work bench just need to take pics.....

rob64n

Contributor
rob sorry i could have sent you pics of my diff cups but i just threw away 6 pairs, and i think aluminum square drives are fine might shorten the length so the gears don't stick out so far, and maybe find some bearings for the brake cam shaft, and bearings for steering servo saver, i have already put bearings in the blue plate that connects them, so i'm good there, oh and about the steel gears see if they have somebody that works there that does not have a crooked eye,lol. the teeth look like they were cut with a bandsaw,lol...... i'm done for now, have a great day........

roccos_van

RampageHopUps said:
OK folks, we are having meetings with the factory about some of the upgrades we want done for 2010. Here are the list of things they are changing:
1) Heat Treat on the dogbone cup shafts. If you have broken ones, please PM me a picture, so I can show the factory.

2) Changing the square drives from aluminum to steel.

3) Changing the gear shafts to a hardened steel.

4) Securing the dogbone pins with a set screw.

These seem to be the majority of the problems when going to 5+ Horsepower motors. We are hoping to get these done for January shipments.
That's good to hear, i'm wondering about #4 though, as my MT V2 came with dogbones that had setscrews in them holding the pins.

pipeous

My Rally has set screws too..

I just want the rally bling and the dif cups myself. and the squares can be aluminum if it's the right strength. never had a problem with fg wheel squares

50mph

Servo Mounting

I know it’s hard to try and please every servo made, but since most use a non stock servo which requires new holes the mounts should be flush with the side of the servo. The plastic and I think the aluminum mounts have the inward curve. If the servos are like the HS5745MG then the bottom hole needs to be re drilled but the inward curve prevents you from drilling the hole for a correct alignment. Most are saying they are removing a little of the servo ear and using a larger washer to secure the bottom servo mounting hole.

laganm21

here is a Pic of the Diff cup

Photo0063.jpg

/monthly_2009_09/Photo0063.jpg.03a4e9acf225d6d391cf6693ba0e5def.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DemonRC

My two biggest problems I've had with the Rampage which is also the reason why I'm back to running a FG are (in order or priority):

#1 - Diff Cups

The tempering really helped with the shafts breaking but I still broke cups. If you tempered a little but of the cup where the shaft comes in it will dtop breaking there, however, you heated the cup enough where the dogbones will notch it.

#2 - Layshaft

We need a solid layshaft. If not, more bearing support would be alot better than what we have.

#3 - Aluminum Parts Bearing Slop

#4 - Better body material and revamp the TT body so it's not butt ugly

Last edited by a moderator:

Obeast44

Banned
catchaser said:
My two biggest problems I've had with the Rampage which is also the reason why I'm back to running a FG are (in order or priority):
#1 - Diff Cups

The tempering really helped with the shafts breaking but I still broke cups. If you tempered a little but of the cup where the shaft comes in it will dtop breaking there, however, you heated the cup enough where the dogbones will notch it.

#2 - Layshaft

We need a solid layshaft. If not, more bearing support would be alot better than what we have.

#3 - Aluminum Parts Bearing Slop

#4 - Better body material and revamp the TT body so it's not butt ugly
I agree with Catchaser's 1-3, my #4 would be extra chassis stiffening.

jimmykl

My 2 cents worth is the same as cat chaser,s 1,2,3,4 but i lean more towards number 2 as being number one as that is were my main issue is and not just a one piece shaft but all so the extra bearing support thanks very much and look forward to seeing what comes of the meeting , and merry xmas and a happy new year to one and all from us folks here in new zealand. :D :D:D:D:

Martin

Rudihenriksen said:
Make a new diff system F/R, so Diff cup from hpi baja will fit.
Then we have Hpi - phatdad - FLM - Turtle racing - to choose from. yessss :)
IMHO this is the best solution, and never understand why used so little diff cup.. on 1/5th scale??

Same thing happens with the King motor (HPI baja clone) diff cup are smaller than the real HPI and always broke.

Another alternative would be to splinned it like FG to eliminate the weak point whre the pin goes.

Or maybee 1045 or 4140 made, but I have a doubt.

fastlane

Team Driver
hold on martin this ain't a cheap ass clone! They are working on it like Rob said. Give it a chance but don't put it in the same class as a king motors clone or a baja of any kind.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.