• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

How much play/tolerance for rear wheel axle

BoukeG

Hi all,

I've finally had some time to rebuild my XB-e with the 7075 parts.

I'm at the stage replacing the read wheel hubs. I have the 10mm rear wheel axles, bearings, and the 7075 hex adapter.

After screwing on the hex adapter and tighten it down, I've found there is a little 'play' or 'tolerance' (sorry for my bad English) in lateral direction. I think its about 0.2/0.3 mm. I didn't use the ring the original had (between the bearing and the wheel mount) since I felt that made it too 'tight' and run less smoother.

So here is my question, is this play 'okay', or is it better to make it tight and then also less smoother?

G

There is always some.

G

Just don't get them too tight. Touching is ok but squeezing the bearings from the sides would cause premature bearing failure.

G

+1

I like to feel a little bit of latteral movement. That way I know it's not to tight.

Ol' fart

Thats funny. You should be able to screw the adapter all the way down tight against the bearing. Unscrew it untill you see a "flat" on the axle then tighten a set screw on the flat. Find the other flat and put a set screw on it too. I put in four set screw holes so you will have to unscrew it LESS than a quarter turn....... Ya'know, 1/4 turn on a 1.5 MM pitch is .37 so thats about right. On the old 6x1mm the max backlash would be .25

BoukeG

Ol said:
Ya'know, 1/4 turn on a 1.5 MM pitch is .37 so thats about right. On the old 6x1mm the max backlash would be .25
Thanks Ol'fart! Great to know a .37 space is about right. So I guess 0.37mm is better than 0.0 :p

Thank you for the feedback.

rev9fan1

so what the heck is the difference between these and the rampagehopup ones?

G

The 7075RC thread onto the axel in addition to the set set screws. That's why the have two choices. The 7075 RC adapters mount the wheel in the factory location.

The RAMTech adapters don't thread so no need for different choices. The same adapter will fit all the X-series platforms. They are the extended style which gives your ride a wider stance.

G

By different choices, I ment 7075RC sells a 6mm and an 8mm adapter. That refers to the size of your wheel axel thread.

rev9fan1

also how do you bolt the hpi wheels onto the 7075rc adapters if there is no where to thread the nut on?

G

The current style uses a cap with four screws. It's unique. The idea was to prevent the cap from spinning off while driving.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts