• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

First thoughts, Q's

Kershaw Designs

Advertiser
Vendor
Kershaw

I have seen the same problems from my chimera. Been through 2 front bumpers and just yesterday broke the rear part of the cage. This is an area I will soon be addressing with some aftermarket parts. Please send me any requests/ideas you guys might have and we will see what we can do about these issues!

therealrsr

It will be nice to get it off the stand. The larger tires necessitated a servo upgrade so I did both hitec and out for delivery today. I'm not gonna talk about the center diff mount issue until I get an answer out of Redcat (we are talking, just no resolution). Boots, cutting aluminum body plates and shock tuning are about all that's left.

Last edited by a moderator:

therealrsr

Kershaw Designs said:
I have seen the same problems from my chimera. Been through 2 front bumpers and just yesterday broke the rear part of the cage. This is an area I will soon be addressing with some aftermarket parts. Please send me any requests/ideas you guys might have and we will see what we can do about these issues!
Nice!

A way to mount the cage sides to the chassis and not having it hanging in mid air. On mine, the side guards came off at unboxing and will probably never make it back on. A wrap up side panel using the existing side body mount holes, secured at the top edge with new hardware, and the guards mounting holes in the chassis for the bottom edge.

An 8 bolt one piece cage.

I could lose the wing and its mount completely, a wrap up rear skid plate ported for an exhaust tube would be cool.

Just a whole new front bumper design that is wide and low enough to give some protection to the lower A-arms, and obviously stronger.

Progressive shock spring swap.

Kershaw Designs

Advertiser
Vendor
therealrsr said:
Nice!A way to mount the cage sides to the chassis and not having it hanging in mid air. On mine, the side guards came off at unboxing and will probably never make it back on. A wrap up side panel using the existing side body mount holes, secured at the top edge with new hardware, and the guards mounting holes in the chassis for the bottom edge.

An 8 bolt one piece cage.

I could lose the wing and its mount completely, a wrap up rear skid plate ported for an exhaust tube would be cool.

Just a whole new front bumper design that is wide and low enough to give some protection to the lower A-arms, and obviously stronger.

Progressive shock spring swap.
The front bumper is the first part I plan on designing a replacement for. Skid plates will definitely be a priority. Maybe included in the front/rear bumper design?

For now I'm basically converting to xb with front bumper, rear bumper, wing mount, wing and rear shock tower. Shocks would mount to the tower like the other x's allowing use of a rear sway bar. Second part I'd like to design would be a cage solution. I run mine without any body work so I'm not sure if I would start fresh or reuse portions of the plastic cage. That being said do the majority of chimera owners like/use the body panels?

As for the shocks, I designed a new tower for the mt that makes use of the baja shocks. So far I'm pleased with how that setup is working. This might be the direction I go with the x chassis.

therealrsr

I earlier stated the hpi stock steering servo would not fit and I was wrong. Just have to cut the spacer for the stock servo and it swaps in very well with existing holes. Didn't want to provide wrong information to anyone reading this down the road. Must have had a Budweiser too many that night.

FMcamaroZ28

I have broken the rear cage that holds the wing on several times. It just cant take the abuse there.

I think if it were more rounded rather than being a flat corner there wouldn't be as much stress on a nose up landing.

Or maybe make a metal plate that stiffens up that bottom part, similar to an RPM bumper for the smaller cars.

I am first in line to buy what you put out to address that rear cage part on my EP pro. at like $28 for the cage sections it would pay for itself in no time.

therealrsr

Finally got a decent bashing on Easter. Field runs, hill climbs, modest jumps of ~5' high and ~15' long.

The Good-Performed well, temps held fine, Larger tires with full spring extension on the shocks gave a nice ride height, The HPI servo gives plenty of torque, 30 wt. in front and 45 wt. in rear shocks was good for droop,

The (not so) Bad-couple traction rolls, jumps require very active throttle compensation, there is still a minor amount of bind that will probably work itself out with runs but helps with the brakes currently.

The Ugly-the brakes suck, the wing is history with the mount to follow, I had to go back to the stock center diff mounts:mad:.

Ended with the throttle linkage unscrewing from the servo arm (replaced stock w/ hitec and forgot to Loctite) and mostly because my 5b ss was waiting for its turn, it ended with a pin slipping out from under the retaining ring which I was not happy about. 4wd is nicer for bashing though.

I did a full rebuild (a couple times) before this first real run so not an RTR opinion, but Redcat has a solid reputation in the 5th scale imo. (except for the one upgrade)

Ice_2k

You could try replacing the spring on the brake linkage with a stiffer one, that will improve brakes.

Ice_2k

Is there a carbon brake upgrade available for rampages?

therealrsr

When I have to get in there again, sorry not eager to, I'll check the hex vs. the baja to see if swaps. If they do it should just be getting spacers right. Hard to believe no one has checked before so you might want to search rather than wait for me.

therealrsr

No I meant the hex of the lay shaft the pads ride on, i.e. if the full force pads fit or can be cut to fit.

therealrsr

Ice_2k said:
I replaced the brake spring with 2 others and I can now lock the wheels even at speed, so I guess it's as good as it's gonna be - http://www.redcatrampageforum.com/showthread.php?p=154461
Interesting idea, and thanks for sharing, but probably not for me. I prefer the braking progression to come from the increased compression of the plates and pad rather than compression of the spring so I opt for the fuel tube as a flexible but mostly static pressure point. Then it becomes a matter learning brake control just like throttle control with my finger. Works for me most of the time.

I agree that you may have it as good as it's gonna be with stock brakes, but roughed plates with carbon fiber pad(s) makes a difference in my personal experience.

As long as you are having fun life is good.

RampageHopUps

I have around 100 Baja carbon disks that i was using on the front brakes. Maybe I will make a carbon brake set for the Redcats. I just need a Hex adapter for the layshaft.

therealrsr

RampageHopUps said:
I have around 100 Baja carbon disks that i was using on the front brakes. Maybe I will make a carbon brake set for the Redcats. I just need a Hex adapter for the layshaft.
Well, there is your answer Ice. The Baja options won't fit until our host makes a hex.

On another note Rampage, when do you think we are going to see those 5r's??? :)

Ice_2k

First thoughts, Q's

therealrsr said:
I prefer the braking progression to come from the increased compression of the plates and pad rather than compression of the spring
I don't understand the distinction. Doesn't spring compression = force on the brake pad?

therealrsr said:
I agree that you may have it as good as it's gonna be with stock brakes, but roughed plates with carbon fiber pad(s) makes a difference in my personal experience.
Just curious, what could I gain by adding carbon fiber pad? It's now progressive and at full force locks all wheels at top speed. What more could it do? (longevity aside)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts